MA Silver 6 and Silver S1's

Username: Earski

Post Number: 4
Hello All,

I'd like your feedback on the following pairing's with the following in mind;

1) Music / Audio listening 80%
2) Video / Surround sound 20%

I love the way MA's sound. My listening area is wood floor and solid paneling (walls and ceiling), so the room tends to be bright and it doesn't take much bass to 'feel' it.

Would you recommend the Elite 45 or the Marantz SR-8400 7.1 paired with the MA speakers if music/audio quality is my main concern? Do I really need a center channel or sub initially, or should I see how the four silvers sound in my bright room?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

-David

Bronze Member
Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 32
David,

I was about the ask the same question...though I am planning on getting the new SR-8500. One of my concerns was that the S-1 were too small for 5/7 channel music. I also didn't like the idea that MA appear to be 6 ohm speakers (just a personal thing).

Did you end up buying this set up? If so what are your thoughts?

Regards,

Mr.Speeed

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1027
David,
I am sure you asked this question or one similar on another post and I answered it then. The MA's are great speakers and the 6 and 1 make a really wonderful combination.
As to the above posting about the 6 being a 6 ohm speaker that is of no consequence at all, they are easy to drive. The Silver 1 is not too small for multichannel music, In fact it's perfect as a surround both for movies and especially for music. That's why I bought it in the first place. Pair the MA's with Elite or Marantz and you have a great mid level system.

Post Number: 7
Hi Mr. Speeed,

I hope you had a Merry Christmas...sorry for not responding sooner. I've ordered the Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX online with a factory warranty and it'll be here in a week or so. I also ordered the MA S6 and S1's and will eventually get the center channel as well. I will keep you posted, but I heard the system a couple of times and took my favorite CD's to test things out. I love the sound but will have to see how things go in my livingroom, which is not acoustically optimal.

I have to run some cables for my speakers under my hardwood floors (fortunately I have a small crawl space) and plan on dual-connecting the speakers (whatever it's technically called).

I listened to the Marantz as well, but felt it was a little more 'tinny' and unnatural for the type of music I listen to, which includes jazz, classical and rock.

I'll keep you posted!

-David

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 43
Where did you order the Elite online?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 33
David,

Thanks for the reply. I have only heard the MA with a Pioneer Elite and have been impressed. I have a line on a Demo VSX-55TXi for an extremly attractive price but it does not have the DPIIx which is a bit of a bummer. I have not heard the VSX-56TXi which would solve my DPIIx problem but without the deep discount. Your VSX-54TX my be just compromise. (I have my analog 5.1 wires for my DVD-A/SACD player anyway so the i-link is not a big deal right now...but with blue ray discs on the horizon it may come in handy though I don't know if they will use an i-link or HDMI).

I understand completely regarding the listening area. Try tile floors, open wall on one side and 2 other walls being poured concrete with tight leather furniture. I have been debating whether it is even worth spending money on a mid level system until I have a better room to put the stuff in.

You decided to bi-wire did you? I've done it before with a pair of mission's and really could not tell the difference. Perhaps the more high end the speakers (the MA 6's would be a moderate step up from my beloved Missions...RIP) the more noticable it is?

I have not heard the SR-8500 or anything in the Marantz line yet for that matter though my local dealer will get it soon. It is to have 2 DVI inputs which seems cool...about the only thing the VSX-56TXi seems to lack.

<elite>

< C.B here is an authorized dealer but currently out of stoke:

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/category.php?cat=receiver&man=elite

I don't work for electronicwarehouse for the record).

Cheers all,

Mr. Speeed

Gold Member

Post Number: 1038
Those are pretty much list prices so not a very good place to shop IMO. There are very step discounts at several other places and most will honor the Elite 2 year warranty. Why pay list mailorder when you can do that at a local shop.? $1500 for the 56 is ridiculous,for example.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 35
Elitefan,

I see dynaco.com (a store I believe I remember you recommending/bringing to somebody's attention) has the 56 for $997 and the 54 for $699. At that difference I may give way to my strong belief in buying from factory authorized.

Cheers,

Gold Member

Post Number: 1040
If you feel comfortable and understand the warranty/return policies then you can save a ton from some of these dealers. I just bought a Elite dv47ai dvd player from digitalcraze and they honor the 2 year warranty even though they are not a authorized dealer. The only catch was when I got the player there was no receipt in the box. I called them and they faxed me a receipt in a half hour or so. It's always a risk to buy this way and I've been lucky so far but my only warranty issue was with a local dealer and they screwed it up so to me it's worth the risk to save so much money. If a local dealer will discount 20% or so I will buy local but that's very rare in my area. I have never bought speakers mail order and am leary of doing so because of shipping issues and would like to hear from those who have.

Post Number: 9
Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. Mr. Speeed, I am still trying to determine if I should bi-wire or not. I don't really think there's any advantage since I'm powering the speakers from one source of the same channel (unless there's something I don't know about connecting the Elite 54tx.

I read something about this and the author said the only time bi-wiring speakers is of real advantage is when you're implementing two or more separate source amps...else, you're just running more copper for the same channel so there's no advantage. Therealelitefan, do you know if there's any plus in bi-wiring? I just don't think there is and still need to purchase my cables.

Also, Elitefan, should I used banana's or spades? I won't be moving the speakers once there in, so your thoughts? My received and speakers should arrive this next week.

-David

Gold Member

Post Number: 1045
I really don't have a recommendation about about cable termination. I have used them all and I am a bit embarrased to say my system now is a combination of pins and bare wire. You might not have read about my horror story about my speaker cable nightmare a few months ago and it's a sore subject with me as I spent about 10-11 hours altogether on this. I guess I would say use whatever you feel is easiest for you to do. As for me, I'm done with speaker cable forever,I hope.

Post Number: 10
Thanks elitefan. I'll let you know how things go once I receive everything and get it all setup.

-David
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us