Paradigm Monitor 9's???

Biggie
Unregistered guest
hello, I am looking to update my speakers. I listen to alot of hip hop music and need speakers that can deliver alot of hard bass. I came across a pair of Monitor 9's and they looked good and were in my price range. I did not have a chance to listen to them, so I was wondering if any body is familiar with these speakers, or is anybody has any better suggestions for what I could use.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
thank you

edster922
Unregistered guest
If you have a good sub, you won't need to rely on your speakers to deliver the bass. Even cheap mediocre sub like my JBL E150 ($170 shipped on eBay, new) makes a big difference.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
monitor 9's are really boomy in the bass IMHO. My dealer feels this way about them as well, and was pointing me to the 7's, which I felt were also boomy. Personally, I don't care for the monitor tower speakers.

take edsters advice, and get a good sub. That way you can choose your mains wisely. There is more to bass than boom. Bass in hip-hop is full of transients that good speakers can display to their full potential. A boom-box will never show you these.

My suggestion would be the minimonitors (or focus) paired with the pw-1000 for hip-hop. The pw-1000 is a bandpass design subwoofer, and an excellent design. I am not a fan of bandpass subs, but this is one that I would but in a heartbeat. I absolutely love it. Deep, and LOUD!It isnt quite as tight as a sealed box, but the transients still come out clear.

These speakers are all from paradigm. go to www.paradigm.com to find a dealer.

The sub that I recommended will run about 500
the speakers about 300

Paradigm also has some nice tower speakers called the Esprits for $400 that I LOVE

Biggie
Unregistered guest
okay thanks for the tips guys I will check out the paradigm site and see what I can come up with.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 25
biggie,
I have to agree with gavin that the 9's are a little boomy, however i disagree that the 7's are boomy, I have the 7's and to me the bass is great, nice and tight. So listen to them, before you cross them off your list.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Anybody try the Monitor 5? It's more in my price range, a little over $500 a pair.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
I think that the 5's are the best in the monitor series edster!
GO AUDITION THEM is the best advice I can give you if you havent seen my post about them in the athena thread

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 64
Cabinet and driver size make different sounds in different sized rooms. The 9's will probably sound a little boomy in all but a large to very large room. Most of us can do pretty well with 5.25 or 6.5 inch drivers and powered sub. BTW- all good advice!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us