Polk Audio R30

Five-0
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any observations or opinions on this speaker?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 179
Favours the bottem end, bad high frequency range. Average construction for the price.

I'd recommend the Polk Rti6 over it or the Rti8 if you can afford them.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

these speakers are also well worth the money.

edster922
Unregistered guest
From what I've seen the R30 is basically an R20 with a wooden stand, identical drivers. The R20 I bought for $80 at Circuit City on Black Friday and had to promptly relegate to my bedroom---as Kano said, good bass, lousy mids and highs, horrible resonance at high volumes. They had the R30s for $140 that day too, I think right now they're going for upwards of $200-300 which IMHO is ridiculous.

For moderate levels, of bass-heavy pop music, it might be OK esp. if you can get them on the cheap.

Five-0
Unregistered guest
They're available for about $190. I was thinking of using them in my bedroom. Are there any other floorstanders for $200 that you think would be better?

edster922
Unregistered guest
At that price I'd look into the Mordaunt Short 904 for $230 shipped from ac4l.com, especially if heavy bass isn't important for you and good mids/highs are.

Idealconcepts
Unregistered guest
I just bought a pair of R30s for $49 each at CC (normally they sell there for $89 to $99 each), had them price match Fry's sales price. At the price I paid, I think they are a great speaker for a HT in the Master Bedroom. I running them off a Yamaha 5x65 watt amp, I don't remember the model number, but they sound pretty good. The bass is more than I expected from the little speaker and I can relate to the distortion of the tweeter at a high volume (while using the radio as a source). I need to try them at a hight volume using a CD as a source. I also have a pair of R40s, that I purchased about 3 or 4 years ago, that are being used as rear speakers in my Family HT. The R40s will be moved to the bed room as soon as I purchase a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9s or 7s for rears in the Family Room HT. As mentioned before I like the R30s, especially the price I paid for them and recommend them. Can someone answer a questions I have. When I eventually move my R40s (purchased about 3 or 4 years old) to the bedroom and use them with the brand R30s, my gut tells me to use the R40s in the front and the R30s in the rears, but I wanted to get other peoples opinions since the R40s are a few years older than the R30s? Are there any differences besides the extra speaker in the R40s and a little different tower construction, like tweeter, materials used to make the speaker, tower design, etc? Thanks.

edster922
Unregistered guest
> as soon as I purchase a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9s or 7s for rears in the Family Room HT.

(jaw drops) Good God, if you're using *those* for your rears, you must have some VERY excellent speakers for your mains?

Idealconcepts
Unregistered guest
edster922 - I'm just using Paradigm Monitor 9's for the fronts. I like tower speakers so I wanted to use them on all four corners, I like listening to 5 channel Stereo everyonce in while, and I don't want to mount the speakers or use stands. I haven't decided on the 9's or the 7's but the more I hear about people comparing them, I leaning towards the 7's, also it will save me a little bit of money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us