Parasound halo pre/amp w/manepan 1.6qr

Username: Jordie

Post Number: 29
does anyone know if they are a good match?
thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 155
The preamp is more than fine and the least of your problems. The Maggies require at least 100 watts of clean 4 ohm power--preferably 200 watts to sing. A big room is almost mandatory as these are big speakers and need to be placed carefully and usually distantly from walls, as they radiate sound from both sides---one in phase, one out of phase.

Being single helps, as these speakers (while sounding wonderful when properly placed) take up a good bit of room, require a lot of moving around to find where they sound best, and finding a spouse or girlfriend that wants to adjust her seating and living arrangements to loudspeakers is very rare. In other words, not many women want to adjust their sense of style and comfort to accommodate loudspeakers. They expect loudspeakers and their spouse to accommodate them.

I presume you have or are getting other speakers for a surround system if you are getting the AV Halo preamp. The match between the preamp and speakers is fine---you need to worry about the match between the amp and your speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
GREGORY ..do you have any suggestions for a good amp under 2000$ that matches magnepan speakers?
As surrounds I am going to use mangepan mc1...center channel magnepan cc3...subwoofer rel strata 3
thank you!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 162
Adrian:

A couple of very good choices for your budget if you don't want the Parasound amp:

1. Outlaw 755. 200 wpc x 5 (into 8 ohms--300 wpc x 5 into 4 ohms). $1295. Here is the link:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/755.html

2. Another very good choice is the new NAD T973. MSRP is $1999, but can be had for about $1600. 140 wpc x 7 with loads of dynamic headroom. I heard it last week and it is a winner. Very warm and detailed--sounded better than an Anthem amp that costs twice as much when tested head to head.

I hope this helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
I agree with Hawk--I also think ATI has some very good amps.

At Onecall.com there is an ATI amplifier on sale: AT2505 which has 250 watts x 5 channels. 375watts x 4 ohms. On sale at $1549---a steal.
Normally costs about $2595

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Thank you Hawk and Gregory for your suggestions,I will have to look at the receivers you have indicated.However I do have another question:
Is it better to have separate amp for stereo listening and one for ht(I was looking at Odyssey Audio Stratos...stereo amp-pretty good)?...and a second question...what do you think about the Sherbourn 5 1500 five channel amp w/ my system?(I'm also willing to buy an excellent used amp -SS or tube)

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Everytime I look at the Sherbourn and the specs I get the feeling they are getting the amp from the people that make that amp for Outlaw Audio, which might be ATI. And it is cheaper from Outlaw. I think the main difference between the two is Sherbourn has single-ended balanced connections---not a big benefit. Might help with a little RF interference. Double-ended balanced are the way to go if you want the best and most quiet amplification. This design allows the quietest transmission of the audio signal. I would buy the ATI AT2500. Also 200 watts x 5 channels. I have seen it at $1919 at downtown audio. Unless the Sherbourn is much less expensive, I would get the ATI. The Outlaw is $1299.

I am sure you won't go wrong with any of these.

It is tough to say whether a separate amp is better for stereo listening. Unless a multi-channel amp suffers from bad crosstalk, there is little reason for a stereo amp to be better.

I have an OCM/Belles stereo amp and an Aragon 2007 multi-channel amp. I can't hear any difference when switching the two. If anything, I might like the Aragon more.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us