H/K & Canton Speakers?

Username: Sjordan872

Post Number: 1
I previously posted that I've recently purshased an HK 630. I had auditioned it with Infinity speakers and thought the sound was very full. However, after reading some posts, I think I can do better. Canton was one of the suggestions I got on the other thread. Any thoughts on this line and/or pairing it with a warm/detailed receiver like the HK? Thanks guys!

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 134
Excellent choice for H/K, IMHO. Cantons are very detailed and can sound bright with the wrong electronics (Yamaha), but H/Ks are everything but bright. Added to the fact that Canton does a marvelous job in building their speakers--I mean the build quality is absolutely superb--and you have a great system. Which Cantons are you looking at?

Post Number: 4
Thaks for the input Hawk. I looked/listned to several of the models in the LE line. Loved not only the details they produced, but thought the styling (beach with silver grills) was a nice change from the mondane look of many other top brands. I mean if I'm going to drop several grand on a system that's going to sit out in my living room, it better look as good as it sounds. The LE line has wall mountable surrounds that are thin but have an excellent frequency range. Best I've seen (or heard) in a direct radiating surround. Canton's other lines sounded wonderful as well, but my budget only allows me to consider the LEs. I listned to them on an HK 630 and a Pioneer Elite (forgot the line, but retailed around $1,200).

Post Number: 140
Excellent choice. BTW, I also agree that the speaker better look good for that kind of money. I like the LEs quite a bit, but they are very hard to find in my neighborhood (would you believe my local dealer is The Great Indoors?).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Canton states nominal imp. on their LE speakers as "4...8 ohm." Will the H/K 630 have any trouble driving them? Will the SPL at 86 dbs (1 wat/1m) cause any problems for the 630 too? Just trying to educate myself. Thanks guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
Blazer:

This "4...8 ohm" rating is becoming a trend among European speaker manufacturers and it is really annoying, IMO. Modaunt-Short, among others, is doing the same thing.

I take the view that these are basically 6-8 ohm nominal impedence loads, with a 4 ohm minimum load at just one frequency. Therefore, I would suggest that your H/K is unlikely to have a problem. H/Ks have excellent power supplies and although the receiver is not designed for true 4 ohm loads (e.g., Dynaudio), they should be able to handle a 4 ohm impedence at one frequency.

Now, an 86 db sensitivity rating is on the low side, but again I point to the power supply on the 630 as being plenty powerful to drive those speakers. I just don't think it will be a problem. Do not judge a receiver based upon how many "watts" is supposedly produces. That standard has been wholly debased by the mass manufacturers. Current is the key and the H/K has gobs of current. Look at the High Current Capability specification which I believe is stated to be 50 amps for that receiver. That is a lot of current!

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
Blazer:

I spent this morning listening to a Totem Dreamcatcher speaker system driven by an H/K 630. Now the DreamCatcher is a true 4 ohm speaker and the H/K had no problems with it. I did not have the chance to drive it for several hours to be sure, but the salesman I was dealing with was very knowledgeable and said that in his experience the H/K never had a problem with the DreamCatchers. Therefore, I would suggest that you would not have a problem driving the Canton LEs with an AVR 630. Just wanted to put your mind at ease if I could.

I hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
It certainly does. Thanks Hawk!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us