Sony Floor Speakers Help!

AudioDude
Unregistered guest
Well I am going out to buy a new TV and some Sony Floor speakers but I just realized that the speakers wont be able to directly plug into my TV and I will need to buy a receiver. Can I just splice some wires and plug into my TV and still have it work?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 112
Yes! but it will sound about as good as splicing some wires and hooking it up to a couple of frypans and using them as speakers.

TVs output no more than 20 Watts to their speakers, and it's done internally, you would need to open the tv and unplug the speakers inside, then hook it up to your own speakers. Otherwise the audio is ouput directly to a receiver, which amplifies the signal and sends it to speakers.

Sony makes good electronics, but are overpriced and don't perform well in the audio world (outside of their mini stereos - not bad)

If you only want 2 channel audio, now and in the future, look for cheap Stereo Receivers on www.audiogon.com

Lots of choices for speakers, read around in the speakers forum for some good low priced options.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1890
Don't do it!

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 57
Audio dude;

you must get a receiver or amplifier of some kind.

I just noticed in the circuit city advertisement that they have a stereo receiver, a Sherwood, for 49 dollars after rebate. That might be an inexpensive way to do this. That way you can take the output from the tv via rca cables to the stereo and then wire up the speakers.

good luck.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us