Klipsch haters pls. respond

JonD
Unregistered guest
I'm curious why many/most on this board are not big supporters of Klipsch.

i have the high-end reference bookshelf model from a couple of years ago (the RB-5's) and like them quite a bit. they are clear and loud and do ok with the mid's, too. bass is supported by the a low-end sub (Klipsch as well).

i'm not being defensive. i know that all that matters is "what sounds good to you" so i'm cool with what i got.

just curious what i might be missing.

is it just that they are too bright? or is it just that they came out with their low-end Synergy line and have some other HTIB stuff for Best Buy, etc.?

like i said, not being defensive, just curious.

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 870
I must admit I do not like Klipsch much at all and the reason is they are much too bright and harsh for my taste. If they appeal to you then I think that's great. I would only say that Klipsch need a very warm receiver/amp to drive them or listener fatique will set in very quickly.

JonD
Unregistered guest
oh, i should mention that i'm using an NAD 763 receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
That combo would probably be fine, even to my overly sensitive ears. NAD's are great sounding receivers. I object to pairing Klipsch with bright and/or thin sounding receivers like Yamaha, Sony[or es] and Denon. I have a Klipsch dealer that sells Elite, SonyES and Denon and I have argued with them for many years about their pairing Denon or Sony with Klipsch. The manager agrees with me but since they are in business to make money and it is easier for them to stock Denon than Elite for whatever reason that's what they have set up to demo. Your system would blow that combo away.

Username: Clt1bkc

Kannapolis, NC

Post Number: 2
I am amazed that anyone would post and want to be convienced why others do not like their setup. Who cares! If you like it and are happy with it forget about it! No offense but why would you care what therealelitefan thinks! What basis does he have to make these opinons about what sounds good and what doesn't. Has he owned a pair of Klipsch? Even if he has his opinon is subjective not objective. Hope you enjoy your Klipschs!

Silver Member

Post Number: 873
Hey Brian,
I was honestly answering JonD's question and he asked for opinions and mine is based on my having listened to Klipsch speakers over the past 30 years and that's the basis for my opinion. Of course if Jon likes his system that's great and if you actually read what I told him you might have caught that I thought it would be pretty good. Get a grip jerk off.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1084
Elitefan,

I second that motion. Instead of helping JonD Mr Cooper feels his time is better served going on the attack. Keep up the good work on this forum.

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 874
My Rantz,
Thanks. Haven't spoken to you in a while but glad to see you are still around. I guess some people just don't get the purpose of this forum.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 260
JonD,

I do know the Klipsch Reference line much. The only store that carries it in my town do an awful job of setting them up, plus I don't like to go audition when I'm not buying...

Why am I not buying? Because I have a pair of 31 year-old La Scala's. I'm into the Klipsch Heritage line, and I'm currently hunting through ebay and other used marketplaces for Heresy's to use as my center channel.

So there are pro-Klipsch people around!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If you are wondering why someone may not prefer the Klipsch line of speakers (or Bose, Cerwin Vega, etc.) take a few of your recordings into a decent high end shop and listen to what they have to offer. Don't require comments from the sales staff, just listen. If you still feel your speakers do everything you require in a speaker then there is no reason to worry. If, on the other hand, you hear the qualities of the other speakers that your Klipsch do not deliver then you might ask more questions.
As a start most horn loaded speakers have an inherent resonance in the throat of the horn. This is common to many horn loaded drivers, not just Klipsch. The efficiency of the Klipsch systems require a different bass loading. The usual route for a high efficiency speaker is to have a boomy one note bass. If you hear neither of these "problems" then keep your Klipsch.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 261
J. Vigne wrote:

<i>most horn loaded speakers have an inherent resonance in the throat of the horn<i>

What would this sound like?

The usual route for a high efficiency speaker is to have a boomy one note bass

You'd the first person I've ever heard say that Klipsch are boomy! I've heard people say my La Scala lack the very low-end and that the mid and upper bass is very tight and punchy. But boomy? Never. Same for Klipschorns; they are anything but boomy.

Kannapolis, NC

Post Number: 3
The realelitefan didn't mean to push your button. Prior to your last statement in the response to my post, I really had no opionon on you. After reading your post I do but unlike you will not voice it hear because you and everyone else would not care to hear it which is fair. My post was not attack on you or your opinion. How was I attacking the original post? My point is speakers are for the most part very subjective to the person who is listening to them. Its amazing that you stated you do not like Klipsch yet you have been listening to them for thiry years. I can't think on anything I dislike and follow for that lenght of time.

JonD
Unregistered guest
J. Vigne,
thanks for you thoughts. i think i know what you mean about one-note bass. don't know what the horn resonance would sound like. i actually think the horn-loader tweeter is among the cleanest, most realistic i've heard (which is why i like them).

Brian Cooper,
you might want to work on your reading comprehension skills. yes, i did say that i was happy with my set-up, but i ALSO said that i was curious about what i might be missing with other speakers relative to my Klipsch.

(you probably missed the second half of that paragraph, though)

Kannapolis, NC

Post Number: 4
I really suprise how sensative people are here. You purchased RF5's wouldn't you be better off asking these questions before you bought the speakers? I will work on reading comprehension if you work on your logic and critial skill thinking. You sell the merits of your speakers by stating high end and then want to know what your are missing. I just don't get it. I personally think your system is one most people would love to have. Except it for what it is a great set up and don't let people like therealelite fan make your mind up for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 87
His mind is made up, he bought the equipment.

Audio equipment, especially speakers, is a HUGE field with many different players. Every speaker has its strengths and weaknesses, it's up to the consumer to pick which attributes he finds the most pleasing to their ears. Depending on the type of music or movies they like, they will prefer speakers that favour the low to high end and play certain frequencies better than others. I have found that my Polks absolutely love the horns in music, I could not imagine them sounding any better.

This is why some people do not know or care that Bose distorts everything into their vision of what everything should sound like. The sound reproduction is as far from technical as you can get and it just flat leaves entire sections of music out, such as cymbals. You cannot attribute all of Bose's success to marketing, obviously a lot of people like their sound, even some who are educated in the Bose specs.

My point is unless you have a very high end system with perfect reproduction of the original recording, there are aspects of your system that another system can do better.

I am perfectly happy with my speakers, but would still love to hear what members hear think of them.
Polk Rti8, Fxi3, Csi3, PSW404 paired with an HK AVR430.

I know that the Harman Kardon favours the low to middle end, and that's exactly what I like to hear and is a good trade off for the quality of the sound I get.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1827
my thinking of the original post was the following.

"Hy I have this setup and so far seem very happy with it.
but I notice many people do not like my setup.
Is their something I should listen for that would show me
what the defiecencies are that maybe i'm not aware of?"

That seems to me someone who is seeking more knowllage in the
audio buisiness then they allready have.

Isn't that the point of this forum?
To educate or be educated?

Maybe when he bought his setup he did not see the negativity
but now he does and wonders why!

Like elitefan said matched with a warm not bright amp is the way to go.
I've got mine matched with tube amps and the combo of the tube sound
and the high efficency of the klipsch is a natural match!

JonD
Unregistered guest
dude, i bought the RB-5's like 4 years ago. i had them with a 15 y/o Yamaha 50 watt amp that recently croaked. in the process of upgrading to the NAD 763, i learned a lot about receivers (most of which from this board - thanks all).

so, of course, my logical next step was to think about what a better set of speakers might sound like, too. my mind is not "made up." like most people, i've got what i got, but am curious about what could be next on the list, eh?

maybe i should have just written "i'm thinking about buying the RB-5's - what are the pros/cons?" that might have been more clear and direct. my bad.

oh, and Brian Cooper, you can work on your spelling, too. it's "accept", not "except", in that context.

and i'll first try to figure out what "critical skill thinking" is before i start working on it.

Kegger, thanks for the thoughts.

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 137
If you like your setup now, wait till you hear those speakers on a good hybrid system. The Klipsch's deffinately need a tube pre-amp to sound really good. JMHO.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I sold Klipsch for many, many years. I sold the original Klipsch products. The Heresy was honky and boomy. It suffered from many of the problems of horn loaded speakers.
When any driver cannot reproduce the frequency fed it the driver will reproduce the octave above the original frequency. This is called doubling.
When a frequency is fed to a speaker beyond the resonant frequency of the box/driver system it will create noise that has no relation to any frequency other than the resonant frequency of the port or box. When the box has little damping and the resonance of the port and/or box are used to add bass sounds that is called boom. The Heresy had all three problems and therefore had a boomy one note bass. As did the Cornwall, just at a lower frequency and higher volume.
The LaScala on up in the Klipsch line was a horn loaded bass alignment that allowed for quick transient attack (the advantage of horn loading); but, did not damp the woofer's movement after the signal had finished. This, and the box resonance of the plywood cabinet systems, gave a boxy, underdamped frequency hang over to the bass response.
Don't get me wrong, I sold many Klipsch and understood why people bought the speakers but they cannot stand up to the accuracy of bass response in a speaker with a transmission line loading. The difference in the sound of a 32 Hz note on a TDL and a Klipschorn was night and day. But the transmission line will eat up 200 watt amps for brunch. The Horns can run off a table radio (as we proved to customers on a regular basis).

A horn will have many advatages and disadvantages that are inherent in its design and construction. The most common disadvantage is a resonance in the throat of the horn that comes from an underdamped structure. It is very difficult and expensive to construct an expotential horn that has equal stiffness at all points. It is also difficult to construct a cabinet that does not let the horn's throat hang out in open space with no supporting strucure to help damp the resonance. New materials and construction techniques have helped alleviate this problem to some extent but the speakers which are, today, high end horn systems will be far more pricey than a Klipschorn in rosewood finish. Check some of the Japanese designed horns for an idea of how horns have progressed through the last thirty years. They typically do not depend on boxes around the drivers as the first attempt at eliminating resonance.
Another advantage/disadvantage of a horn loaded system, whether it be low, mid or high frequency driver, is the inherent high pass filter that a horn creates. As the horn reaches its resonant frequency, the roll off below that point is, by nature, very steep and cannot be compensated with X-over components. This can be an advantage as it requires fewer X-over parts but it often leads to a "three way" speaker sound. This emphasizes the individual drivers and makes an uneven frequency response. This problem cannot be designed around because the cut off will not allow a tweeter to operate down into a range, somewhere around 2500Hz, where it could be used effectively in a two way system. Not without enormous size being the down side of any attempt at such as system.
A soft dome tweeter and a mid sized, direct radiating woofer can be made into an effective two way speaker with little more than a resistor on the tweeter for a X-over. No horn loaded speaker can match that design.
The perrenial joke with Klipsch was when Paul Klipsch displayed his speakers at CES, the midrange horns honked so badly a flock of geese flew through the demo room. Klipsch reps never found that joke humorous.

JonD
Unregistered guest
J. Vigne, thanks for the detailed response. that's quite a bit of information. i appreciate your passing it along.

Username: Wetbass

Post Number: 4
JonD:

I think the term of art (in the legal biz, for one, and education, for another) Mr. Cooper was reaching for, when his reach exceeded his grasp, was "critical thinking skills." A laudable addition to anyone's intellectual toolbelt, to be sure, (for example, there is not even a hook on George W. Bush's toolbelt for this accessory) but I not think Mr. Cooper was accurate in his assessment of your skills.

I think Mr. Cooper's reversal of the words indicates that he is schooled primarily in a language other than English as, (from my limited study of Spanish) sometimes phrases in English translate into different word orders, in other languages. I mention that not to cast any aspersions on any cultures/languages, etc... but just to offer one possible explanation for his dyslexic word order.

I too think Mr. Cooper needs to work on his reading comprehension, as I believe you clearly articulated your concerns here, and he misread them.

I found your question very interesting, JonD, and this thread very educational. Even though I lack the funds to participate, personally, I do enjoy reading about audio theory.

I do not enjoy reading attacks, however, such as Mr. Cooper's, on innocent, well spoken, well-intentioned individuals like JonD., but I do enjoy making retaliatory attacks on deserving individuals like Mr. Cooper, on behalf of the unjustly attacked. Observe:

Mr. Cooper, you asked: "How was I attacking the original post?" The answer is found in another of your posts, to wit: "wouldn't you be better off asking these questions before you bought the speakers?"

What good can come of your question, above, Mr. Cooper? It is an attack because it points to a perceived flaw (in your eyes) in onD's "logic". Unfortunately for you, JonD did EXACTLY what you accused him of not doing, i.e., exercising his "critical thinking skills." You can tell this is the case, as JonD explains the motivation behind his question when he states: "just curious what i might be missing."

That, in a nutshell, Brian, is "critical thinking." It is, as I understand it, the questioning of what might otherwise be overlooked as an assumed truth. IOW, it is the deliberate analysis of what many might take as simply received wisdom (in the instant example, his feeling that many here assign little value to the Klipsch line.) in order to determine, ultimately, the wisdom of that common assumption.

Perhaps an illustration may help: Critical thinking may best be understood by it's absence, for example, in the policies and "thoughts" articulated by one George W. Bush, who is apparently a very uncurious individual. In fact, his "faith based presidency" is the antithesis of critical thinking.

JonD sensed a generally accepted "truth" or bias here, about Klipsch, and had the intellectual curiosity to question it, to better understand it and, presumably, either accept or reject it, after further analysis.

Your attacking JonD for (supposedly) not doing what he is, in fact, EXACTLY doing is reminicent of the neo-conservatives attempting to claim that their narrow (voter-fraud-induced) "victory" in this election was based on "values" (read: homophobia), when in fact those "values" don't have anything to do with the real values many Americans actually do have re: the prevention of poverty, disease, hunger, needless war and racism, etc.... Rather, the neos take three small issues (homophobia, faith-induced convictions about the unborn and their view of religion) and try to coopt the word "values" to mean these three, narrow, pet issues of theirs. Then they accuse others (as you did) of lacking what they claim (erroneously) to possess themselves, i.e. the perceived moral high ground of something they call "values" or, in this thread, "critical thinking skills."

Perhaps you can help me understand these Bush supporters, Brian: what is it in you that drives you to accuse others of not doing exactly what they ARE doing, when it is you YOURSELF who is, in fact, not doing what you accuse the other (here, JonD) of not doing?

I've pretty much got you pegged as a Bush supporter, Mr. Cooper--am I right so far?

Anyway--attacking someone for allegedly not doing what they're already doing (engaging in "critical thinking") is very Orwellian and of very little value, here or anywhere else.

Further, appearing to say the right things, subsequent to your attack ("Except [sic] it for what it is a great set up and don't let people like therealelite fan make your mind up for you...." does nothing to convince the intelligent that you just didn't just do something ugly, yet lack the gravitas to own up to it. However, it DOES convince those observing your sophomoric attempt to disavow responsibility for your actions that you are not overly concerned with matters of personal integrity.

Your question, which implied JonD had missed his chance to make an intelligent decision about Klipsch speakers, would only be true if he was actually disatisfied with them, which he is not. Apparently he already made an intelligent decision for himself, without benefit of these boards, which is great. Your rhetorical question, which implied JonD had somehow erred grveiously and thus should forfeit the right to gain a greater understand about his speakers, was calculated to instill regret and self doubt in JonD., a person who may well be a stranger to you. I cannot say why this would be a worthwhile goal for you, but I have a couple of theories--don't encourage me or I just might lay them out for all to see....

To everyone else here, I thank you for the stimulating discourse, and I apologize for the length of my response.

Bodhi Dharma Zen
Unregistered guest
LOL! it is funny to see how far some people are able to go in trying to explain why a Heritage horn speaker will sound "bad"...

Nonsense!

One can hear what one wants, a friend of mine hated the Heresy's precisely because this "honky" noise... surprise suprise, one day we did a blind test, we compared the Heresy's with much more expensive Margules Audio Orpheus (which use ceramic speakers that are really fast), he couldnt hear the "honk" anymore!!, he noted the difference, but was unable to tell which speaker was honking!

The same goes for cables, for example, countless of people believe they can hear a difference (and in fact they can), but, as soon as they are presented with a blind test... no one can pick which cable is which!!

The lesson??

Listen with your ears, not with your brain.

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 60
I often see people posting about klipshes here. Seems like a love'em or hate'em kind of speaker. I took a road trip to my brother's house this weekend and he has nice klipshes paired with a dennon receiver. I found his set up to be very bright compared to my HK/athena matchup. We were listening to Diana Krall and I had to turn it off because my ears actually seemed to get tired of hearing it. He, on the other hand loves the sound and commented on the fact that he could hear every detail.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 266
Hi sinkdraiN,

What model Klipsch does he have?

The receiver gurus on this forum say that Denon is bright, so something like h/k is a better match to Klipsch.

But I agree with you on one point, Klipsch leaves no-one indifferent. You love 'em or hate 'em. Personally, I love my La Scala's. Recently I've loved putting on Diana Krall "Live in Paris" DVD. The detail is so great you can hear a pin drop. It's very well recorded and sounds incredible.

The fact that a lot of people hate them keeps the prices low on the used Heritage models, which is good for those that like them!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"The fact that a lot of people hate them keeps the prices low on the used Heritage models, which is good for those that like them!"

That isn't what I would consider a ringing endorsement. A '96 Cavalier doesn't cost much either.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 268
But a '96 Cavalier is not sought after by some, is it?

I'm only agreeing that some people hate 'em. I happen to love mine, and I'm perfectly happy with the fact that some don't. I couldn't care less! So keep saying it's crap and drive the price down for the rest of us!

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 76
Peter,
I am not familiar with the Klipsh line. His looks nothing like the ones sold at best buy. His has a gold woofer. I wish I could audition them with my HK. I bet that would be a nice match. To me, his denon/klipsh combo is irritating. On the other hand he loves it so I keep my mouth shut. This is all so personal.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 277
sinkdraiN,

Those would be the Reference line. The sell the lesser Synergy line at Best Buy. I own in the Heritage line. They also look nothing like the Synergy or Reference.

The room acoustic also have a lot to do with the overall sound of any speakers, of course.

But it could be that you just don't like horns! :-)

It would be interesting to try with your h/k.

Kleck
Unregistered guest
I have a Klipsch setup and it has done well for me over the years.

I'm not very educated and just starting reading on this board to better educate myself of brands and how those brands perform

Here is my setup
Denon 4800 receiver
Denon 2500 DVD player

Speakers:
Velodyne HGS-10
Klipsch KG 5.5v (2) front
Klipsch KSF 8.5 (2) rear
Klipsch KSF-C5

granting way back when AC3 was the latest and greatest thing this why I chose the components I have....I am quite out of date on what is good and what isn't....but, for the moment this setup still does a good job for me

Bronze Member
Username: Elite

Post Number: 66
I have had chorus 2's for years and love them more than life itself
i would not get rid of them for any speaker at any price even though i do have two other brands for other types of listening

Unregistered guest
I'm trying to get back in the game after many yrs. Can still remember hearing my first La Scalas back in the late 70's but no money and no room ended up with the Heresys. Yes Mr.Vegne they can be all those things but with the right recording they can still make me smile. [with sub]

need a good av system. am wondering whether to go with heritage system, use my heresys for rear and possibly center with la scala fronts and a good sub [or will i need one?] probably use NAD to push. Has anybody heard anything similar? Will it be too loose for todays soundtracks? Musically I still think i will like the La Scalas even with their quirks. Room is no object now.

Am also considering Outlaw. Reviews seem to be great. Anybody care to comment? Thanks

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

There aren't many subwoofers that can keep up with a 15" woofer in a 104 dB cabinet.

Indianspringsaz
Unregistered guest
What do you think about this. NAD 773 receiver, Klipsch Heresy II, Klipsch Acadamy center, KG 1.2 surrounds and a Velodyne F-1500 sub. I really think it will go toe to toe with most higher end systems in a blind test.

Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 2
For what it's worth, I owned a pair of Klipsch Forte speakers (Heritage line) for nearly fifteen years. However, I no longer own Klipsch speakers. Wanna know more, read further...

I was originally attracted to the Klipsch speakers due to their lifelike "punch" and dynamics. They were the first speakers I'd ever heard that I actually wondered whether there was a live drummer playing in the next room when I first heard them at a high end salon.

I quickly became addicted to the energy and excitement they portrayed, and I soon parted with $1,375.00 to take them home. Keep in mind that was in 1987 or '88.

However, the Klipsch line has a very forward presentation; rather like sitting in the very front row at a rock concert. It's exhilarating... but it can also be a bit too "in your face."

I found, as I matured, that I was listening to them for shorter and shorter periods of time. Even though my Citation amp is no slouch, I was still suffering from listener fatigue.

Don't get me wrong... they were still exciting, and I still enjoyed them tremendously... but for short periods of time.

I finally decided to part with them, and went looking for a speaker with every bit as much "life", and every bit as much speed and dynamics, but with a less forward presentation. What I finally found was the most lifelike and realistic speaker I've heard for under $40,000!

This speaker is blindingly quick and lifelike. It also has absolutely no "boxy" sound... 'cause there's no box! I'm talking about Magnapan, and specifically the Maggie MG-3.6 (which only runs around $3,600.00). Even better, you can get 90% of the way with the $1,750 MG-1.6, and around 80% with the MG12, which sells for under a grand.

Now, having said all that, here's the bottom line... if you like your Klipsch speaks, then don't let anyone dissuade you from enjoying them. And don't let anyone shame you into wanting something else of you're happy with them.

If, however, you're not truly happy with them, then there's a world of options out there.

Remember one thing... it's the music that matters, not the equipment. Enjoy the music!

Bronze Member
Username: Elite

Post Number: 72
I agree to a degree
I bought martin logans but still have the NEED for my chorus 2's
without the chorus 2's my life would not be complete
best speaker i have ever owned and i never get fatigued from any speaker.
well maybe a realistic
chorus 2's rock
i would love to find a new set of klipschorns
rock on

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2009
I'm running a very interesting combo lately!

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=365&s=specs

rc-7's standing up in an mtm config on stands with the horn unbolted and
turned around then rebolted! "square so you can place anyway you like"