---- >NAD T773 - NEED HELP!!!!

Username: Bushviper

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and thought I would post something that has me guessing.

Alright, I recently bought a NAD T773
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/51083dscf0156.jpg

And it says it doesn't have THX in the manual
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/51083dscf0155.jpg

But everywhere I look I see THX - sorry for the blurry picture
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/51083dscf0153.jpg

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/51083dscf0154.jpg

The weird thing is I can't enable THX mode, anyone think it will be an upgrade? Any Ideas?

Thanks,
BushViper

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 477
The T773 does NOT have THX. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the display and the remote have "THX" on them so if, in the future, NAD does get THX certification on their receivers, they can easily integrate it into their existing units. Like I said, I don't know this for sure, it is just my best guess.

I wouldn't worry about THX anyway. If NAD does "upgrade", it won't really mean anything different for you. When a receiver says that it is "THX Certified" it only means that the receiver has supposedly met some set of standards set forth by Lucasfilm. There are many wonderful receivers out there (the T773 is one of them) that are not THX certified...usually because the manufacturer choose not to pay the extra money to strap the logo on the receiver. Rotel and NAD receivers are some of the best out there and they are not THX Certified.

Post Number: 2
NAD is THX certified, it just depends on what they put it on. check out the NAD S250 5 ch. amp for instance.
http://www.nadelectronics.com/ht_amplifiers/S250_framset.htm

I believe THX will be an upgrade to all the receivers with the ability to unlock it somehow?

BushViper

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
The NAD T773 is not THX receiver certified. Yes, NAD has THX line (silver line), but the T7x3 units are not THX, and I don't think they will be ever. I never heard about company that already launched sound system without THX and upgraded the existing units to THX. I would assume that if NAD will be certified for THX it will be with new products line. Also, with the current hiss noise and other quality issue NAD users experiences with the NAD T7x3 receivers, I doubt NAD will be able to be certified by THX - Please see my note "Why not to buy NAD" and "NAD" at this forum. If you are not experience the hiss noise, you don't need to worry about THX certification. There are companies like Rotel and ARCAM that want to keep the receiver price low and to have a better share market, and therefore, they aren't working with Lucasfilm to certify their product line. And there are companies like NAD that will not be able to certify their T7x3 line with THX due to sound quality issues - and this is just my opinion. Overall, Johnny is right, in general you don't need to care to much about THX certification, but I will be very careful with NAD T7x3 line, as I own one and its not it!

Daniel

Post Number: 3
I don't understand this "hiss noise" people are getting? Either people have crappy speakers ,music quality, cables, etc... or I'm the only one with a perfect NAD T7x3 receiver? I doubt it!

BushViper

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 123
I think Daniel is over-emphasizing the "hiss" issue people have experienced in the context of THX certification, which I have already pointed out in the aforementioned THX thread. Quality control is another factor that has nothing to do with THX certification.

I doubt that it would take much hardware modification to achieve THX certification for the 773, and I have heard very few complaints regarding the "quality of sound" produced by NAD products. The cost of THX licensing is almost certainly the biggest factor for NAD, which is obviously trying to target a certain market. It's simple economics; you cannot make two identical receivers, one with THX certification and one without, and sell them both at the same price point.

My advice to you (or anyone else considering the same issue): If you want THX certification, buy a receiver with THX certification. But, if you buy a $350 JVC receiver because it has THX, don't expect it to sound better than a Rotel, Arcam, or NAD receiver without it. Further, if you buy a product (including NAD) that you feel is defective or otherwise performs poorly, send it back and get something else. But, if you're sending an NAD 773 back because of "hiss" at 6" from the speaker with the volume cranked, don't be surprised if the receiver you replace it with has just as much -- if not more -- noise.

Post Number: 4
Yeah what he said above!!!

I started this thread only b/c I was questioning the THX thing, and thought it might be a future upgrade...NAD already had 1 upgrade(DPLII,etc.)

I think my T773 rocks both in sound quality & build quality, even if it doesn't have THX. I highly reccomend it.

BushViper

Unregistered guest
I received my T773 last week - it replaced a Pioneer VSX35TX that has served me well for the last 3 years. I agree that the sound quality and build quality of the NAD is superb - my priority was on 2-channel music, and the NAD gets it right for me. The T773 is in my opinion a magnificent receiver and an absolute bargain.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 480
If JVC can get THX Certification, NAD certainly could.

BushViper,
Nope, you can add another one to the list. My NAD works flawlessly too.

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
It's about licensing.

I didn't shop for an NAD because of a sticker/label on the side. I'm interested in what is INSIDE the box that counts.

Common in all industrys, there are product that outperform 'licensed certifications', but never get the 'license' because of financial issues.

I'd much rather that money be put into the guts of the product, than the label.

My $.02; another happy, no, THRILLED T763 owner.

E.

Username: Bottomzone

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 1
I purchased a NAD T-752 about 1 1/2 years ago and am having a problem. While watching satellite tv yesterday and changing the channel, I COULD NOT HEAR ANY SOUND AT ALL!(EXCEPT FOR THE CHIRPING WHEN ADJUSTING THE VOLUME) This may be an old issue, but it is new for me. I turned the receiver off and on several times using the remote and the power button on the receiver and also unplugged the receiver from the ac socket and plugged it in again. STILL NO SOUND! I have not attempted to do a system reset yet. Any ideas, comments and suggestions would be of great help!

Anonymous

my budget is 1200-1400 dollars looking at rotel nad or arcam avr receiver. want 7.1 setup. have athena setup on speakers. give model also

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
Anonymous,

I'd suggest you just go to each dealer, ask what they have, and audition.

For NAD, you have the T763 or T773

For Rotel, you have the RSX-1056 or possibly the 1067 (may be a hair out of your budget)

For the Arcam, the AVR-200 or AVR-300 (once again, might be a hair out of budget)

They'll all be very good choices both musically and cinematically; it will boil down to preference on tonal character and ease of use.

E.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us