Onkyo 901

Username: Billprop

Post Number: 1
I came very close to purchasing this receiver today. If i am going to be dropping $1,000+ on a piece of equipment, I want to make sure it is worth it. I am relatively new and I juat like Onkyo because the one I had as a teenager lasted for 15 years.

How does the Onkyo 901 stack up against the others in its price range. One other thing that made me pause is that the 901 doesn't have PLIIx. How important is this feature.

Any help and input would be awesome.

Also, what speakers would go good with the 901? I was think Polk RTi10's.

Username: Abhi015

Post Number: 4
I am going to be purchasing a receiver as well and was looking at the 901. I love the Nettune feature... extremely useful I think, but I like the features of HK 630.

Although Onkyo has more power listed, I have herd someone say that some magazine that tested it, came out to be just half of some other Onkyo model. Any one else know of this?

I will be using this receiver with Rti12's. Whatever receiver I get, I am thinking about getting the Onkyo Net Receiver component separate maybe.

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
It is unfortunately quite well documented that Japanese brands have a tendency to embelish and misquote the real power ratings of their units.

The only wattage rating you should trust is one done by an external third party review, when all channels are being driven simultaneously, as that's the only real benchmark of 'in use' power.

A 30 second google search turned up this:

StereoReview Chart

Keep in mind that numbers and specs don't always reflect real world performance, so, as always, audition the equipment yourself to determine whether or not it's suitable for YOU.

E.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 497
As Abhishek eluded to, the rating of 110w x 7 is severely inflated. When Sound and Vision Magazine tested the 901, they found that with all channels driven simultaneously, it could only muster 50watts before clipping. That isn't even half of what it is rated at. That doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't buy it, I just wanted you to be aware of it.

If you say you are looking at Polk speakers, and are spending $1000 plus on a receiver, I can think of a few other brands you may want to check out. Look at HK (AVR-630), Marantz (SR-7400/7500), NAD (T753 or 753), and Pioneer Elite (VSX-54TX or VSX-52TX). Any of these models will provide much more "real world" power than the Onkyo and would all work beautifully with Polk.

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
Johnny,

I think you typoed on the NAD entry. ;)

You meant the T753/T763, right?

:D

E.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 498
Yes I did, thank you for correcting me. I was in a hurry and didn't correct it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us