I bought a Denon DVD-2910

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 66
Just wanted to say I picked up a Denon 2910 yesterday.

I'll report back in a few days.

Too busy listening right now! ;)

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 488
Congratulations! I believe you will be pleased with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Thanks. I can't believe the sound that comes out of this. I'm going to go broke purchasing hi rez reissues of CD's I already have! Oh well, at least the Coconuts store near me takes trade-ins!

So far I have purchased two Diana Krall discs, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will" and one by the Mavericks...

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 952
Even if you don't like them, get the Steely Dan SACD of Gaucho - you won't regret it.

Glad you like the 2910 - Great choice!

Username: Cranbrook

Post Number: 1
I too have purchased the 2910, but I'm concerned about 3 "issues":

1. The sub-woofer signal was coming through weak and I can't figure out why.

2. I decided to compare the analog signal going to the sub-woofer to the dolby digital signal by playing a DVD-Audio disc with dobly digital surround sound. I was surprised to see that my receiver identified the incoming digital signal NOT as a dolby digital signal, but as a Pro Logic signal.

3. The menus of some DVD-Audio discs do NOT show up through the DVI cable. However, they do through the component cables.

Any comments or suggestions?

R. Cranbrook

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I have had some problems as well. The biggest one is the same as the one you are having with the subwoofer. When I do the test signal, it also comes through as extremely weak. I am still working on it. If I overcompensate by boosting the subwoofer's own output, the sound comes through as too boomy. Maybe someone who has a similiar Denon can offer us a suggestion?

To answer your second question, I think a DD signal requires either a coax or optical connection whereas the multichannel is the 6 input analouge. You don't mention what type of receiver you own, but my Marantz 7400 has a 7.1 setting that has to be on to play multichannel SACD/DVD-A recordings. When this mode is used, it "cancels out" whatever regular input I had set on the receiver (DVD, CD, VCR, etc.)and accepts only signals coming through the 7.1 input. If you want to listen to DD or even DTS, you have to have a digital connection and the DVD mode selected. Hope that helps.

In reference to you last question, I don't have the proper hookup on my TV for a DVI connection so I'm afraid I can't help there.

Username: Cranbrook

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your comments, Robert.

Regarding problem #2, I have both the 6 analog cables and a digital cable running from the 2910 to the receiver (also a Denon product).

When I play the DVD-Audio disc through my ORIGINAL DVD player (which does not have DVD-Audio capability) with a digital cable, the receiver automatically identifies the incoming digital signal as Dolby Digital. For some reason, the receiver cannot identify the signal as Dolby Digital when it is coming from the 2910 via a digital cable. Very strange.

I have forwarded my concerns to both the retailer and to Denon. No response yet. Hopefully, later today.

Regards,

R. Cranbrook

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Just for experimental reasons, try disconnecting the analog cables from both the player and the receiver to see if it makes any difference.

There is also a field in the audio setup called "digital setup". The choices are "normal" and "PCM". I have mine set to normal.

I'm not sure if that helps or not, but my receiver has no problem decoding DD or DTS on anything sent through the digital outputs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1052
On the Denon website (USA) you can download a Tech Tips white paper for the DVD player. The link to download the one for the 2910 is incorrect as it leads to the manual pdf.

However, there is one for the 2900 which may (or may not) help you with your 2910 settings - here's the link:

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD2900%20Audio%20Setup%20Tips%2060903.pdf

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 15
Richard - I have the 2910 as well .
Regarding problem #3 - Make sure that you have selected the "DVI" output from the DVI/HDMI selector button on the 2910, then make sure that you have chosen a format (480i/480p/720p/1081i) (format button is next to DVI/HDMI button) that is supported by your television. My Mistubishi big screen does not support 720p,and therefore will not display anything in that format, to include DVD-A menus. Don't know what to make of problem #2. Unlike some of the other folks, my Denon 2805 sorts through out all of the surround formats with no problem. I use a Blue Jeans cable coax for Digital output from 2910 to the receiver and BJC 6 channel analogue for SACD with no problems.

Amphion
Unregistered guest
I just bought a DVD-2910 too. Nice little machine, but I'm afraid my surround doesn't work. I run monster cables (both the optical digital, and 5.1 analog) to my receiver (Kenwood HTB-505, yes...need to upgrade that soon).

I think I could figure it out, but part of the 'Sound' menu in the setup is locked? I now only have access to the last two options (SACD filter and something else not relevent). I used to have access to everything, I'm not sure what I did...

Anyway, I don't get any signal to my sub, center and surround speakers. My receiver recognizes 5.1 speaker use, and so does the DVD-2910 if I trust the little displays. So I don't really know what to do. Can anyone help?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1131
Amphion

Make sure you don't have a disc in the machine when you go into the setup menu.

See if there is a reset option in the menu.

Failing that, either maybe someone else can offer some advice or contact your dealer.

Amphion
Unregistered guest
I found out how to reset the settings in the user manual. I'm gonna redo everything very carefully this time and see if it works. Thanks

Amphion
Unregistered guest
I had (MULTI) selected in the Digital interface (HDMI), but since I run analog, it was blocking part of the sound menu. It all works very nicely now.

The only thing is that I don't get much bass even with the Pure Source ON and Sub boosted +10dB. And the bass enhancer can't be ON if the Pure Source is. This is a minor complaint because the sound is indeed excellent!

And for all it matters, the video is really a lot better than I thought it would be (on a non-progressive tv using a S-video cable). I can actually tell the difference from my old player.

Unregistered guest
I'm currently testing a 2910 (European model). It works fine for movies, but I can't get the SACD to work at all. I have checked and double-checked the cables and run through every combination of settings I can think of, but the only sound I get is from the back speakers :-/ The AV amp is a Pioneer VSX-D2011.

All suggestions gratefully received!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us