Rotel 1055

craigbrowne
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me with certainty whether the Rotel 1055 handles high bandwidth component switching? I've heard mixed things at dealers and can't find any explicit references on Rotel's website. I'm looking at the 1055 and also NAD 753 or 763, but have also considered the Yamaha RX-V2400. Any thoughts on which way I should head?

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 77
Craig:

I was able to get that information about three months ago, but I have misplaced it. I was able to get it by e-mailing the tech department at both Rotel and NAD. I think the Yamaha is 60 Mhz, and I remember the bandwidth on the NAD is 50 Mhz, but I don't remember what it was for the Rotel. Nevertheless, I have the info here somewhere, so I will look for it. If I find it, I will post it on this thread.

I used to think that this was an important issue in choosing my receiver (hence, one of the main reasons I got my Denon 3803), but I have since attended a demo which showed all you really need is 30 Mhz, which is plenty of bandwidth to pass a 480i signal from your DVD. When I asked what about the higher formats, I was shown that a good HDTV already has a better de-interlacer in it than does my DVD player, so the TV converted it to 480p. That was a real buzz-kill since I already had purchased my Denon.

As far as the receivers go, I am about to replace my Denon with the NAD 753, simply because it has better sound. I also like the Rotel a lot, but I prefer the sound of the NAD, and it is much less expensive (at least around here). I have listened to the Yamaha and I just don't think it sounds nearly as nice--it sounds rather "thin" by comparison. The sound from the NAD and the Rotel is far more convincing to me than the Yamaha.

If component video bandwidth is the most important issue in selecting a receiver, look at the Denon 3803 (100 Mhz) and the Marantz 7400 (88 Mhz). The Marantz sounds better, IMHO, between the two.

d davis
Unregistered guest
I, too, am looking at Rotel. In St. Louis, there are no NAD dealers for me to compare. I'm seriouly thinking about paying up to $2000 to buy an av receiver but am admittedly a rank amateur when it comes to this sort of stuff. Started out with the wife wanting a DVD player for Christmas. I currently have a Denon AVR 2500 with Vandersteen 2Ce's and a Vandersteen center channel. So I'm now trying to put together the whole HT thing. I just bought demo rear speakers (Vandersteen VLR's) and sub (Vandersteen V2W) from a local dealer who was going out of biz. Now I need a receiver and DVD player. I don't yet have an HD TV and probably won't for several years. Am using a 36 inch Hitachi. The room is actually one big room (21 x 28) divided into 2 equal sized rooms (21 x 14 each), one is the sun room and the other is the family room where the HT will be set up. The Vandersteen 2Ce's are 86 dB sensitive. We watch movies and listen to music probably 50/50. In a year or so, we'll redo the kitchen and would like to put speakers in there, probably using the HT receiver, altho I could use the Denon 2500 for that. I'm thinking about buying the new Rotel 1067 when it becomes available shortly. I see where Denon is coming out with a 3805 too. The HK 7200 is getting some good feedback here, too.

For the DVD player, I've read enuf on this site to realize we should probably spend more than $100 for a player from one of the major electronic dealers. I'm thinking something in the midprice range ($250-$500) should suffice for a good single changer, especially if we have to upgrade in 3 or 4 years when we get an HD TV. I don't plan on using this player to listen to music to or to record programs. Just play movies. I have no idea what to buy. I am wondering if there are certain features/connections I should insist on, trying to keep up with the future when we'll buy an HD TV.

So, I would greatly appreciate some helpful suggestions from all the marvelous posters who frequent this site and spend a considerable amount of their time trying to help people like me. Thank you.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 62
d davis,

As a fellow Missourian (I live in Columbia), I experienced a similar problem as you. You would think that in a city the size of St. Louis, there would be at least one NAD dealer. I do know that there is an NAD dealer in KC. It is called Sound FX and the website is www.soundfxkc.com. For me, being in the center of the state, it was not a problem for me to go to KC and listen. If you are ever going through that side of the state, stop by. I think you will be pleased with the sound of NAD.

Question of the day: "Will Albert Pujols still get a paycheck or will the Brinks truck just pull up to his house every week?"

d davis
Unregistered guest
Johnny,

I hear the Brinks truck as I'm typing this... It's the main reason that at age 48 I'm becoming more and more detached from professional sports. When I was a kid, the personnel on a particular team didn't turn over too much. Now you're lucky if the nucleous of the team stays together for 3 years. Makes it tougher to stay commited.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 63
d davis,

But, we have to be able to fill the seats at the new ballpark don't we.....but this is a little off the subject. Send me a personal message sometime if you want to chat about the state of affairs in St. Louis. Be safe on the ice skating rink that are the roads today!!

Chester II
Unregistered guest
I have the Rotel 1055 and yes, I run hdtv signals from my cable receiver and 480p signals from my Denon DVD player through it with NO problems....no perceptible signal degradation.....in other words....Good to go....

Dude,

Chester II
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us