Non-powered subwoofer setup with Denon receiver-please help!!!

Username: Miggedymack

New York City

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
Thanks in advance for the newbie question. I seem to have successfully setup my Denon AVR-2105, except for the subwoofer. I'm not getting any sound out of it. Nothing. I have an NHT non-powered sub SW2P and a NHT MA1A amp that I inherited from my in-laws. In the Denon manual, it shows the sub pre-out to a powered subwoofer. Can I still use this sub if I have an amp powering it? If so, how? Should I use the EXT-in or the Zone 2 source instead? Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 105
Go from the receiver sub pre-out to your sub's amplifier (possibly using a Y connector if it's a 2-channel amp) and go from that to your sub.

Username: Miggedymack

New York City

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Peter. I think the amp might be broken, because this is how I have it set up. Know where to find a good, cheap amp? How much $$ am I lookin' at?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 110
James,

If you think the NHT amp is faulty, try another pre-out from the Denon (to make sure it's not the Denon's sub pre-out at fault) and also make sure the sub pre-out level is not set to -10 dB or something on the Denon.

If the amp is still not outputing anything, try driving the sub from the Denon speaker outputs (if the sub has a crossover). Then it should output something, confirming that the amp is the problem. Then look for a used power amp! Doesn't have to be too high quality for a sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us