DVD Connections?

Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 23
I will be purchasing a DVD player soon PE 47ai to be exact... At any rate I am curious what you all think about the different wire options. I do not plan on using SACD or DVD-A should I still get the analog connections then? The most expensive cord I have to buy is the digital I believe.. Are there really some that are better than others? My dealer in town told me to use a special coax for the digital connection? Does this sound right? What would you guys recomend?
Thanks!
Jeff

Username: Dubz

Post Number: 12
digital coax or optical (sometimes called toslink) is what you need. both do the same thing, just a different way of doing it. even without sacd and such I'd DEFINATLY get one. analog audio cables only carry 2 channels, left and right. most movies come in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, to get that sound to your reciever you have to have a digital audio connection, otherwise your relying on your reciever's prologic system to make up what it thinks should go to each speaker, doesn't sound nearly as good

Post Number: 24
No I agree I need the digital.. But will I need the analog without using sacd and such? And how much should I spend on an analog cable?
Thanks
Jeff

Taylor
Unregistered guest
Jeff, if you mean the 7.1 cahnnel analog where there are separate cables for each discrete channel, then no, you don't need them. If you aren't going to take advantage of the SACD or DVD-A functions of your DVD player, then it is not a worthwhile expenditure. That being said, if you're not planning to use the multichannel music functions of that high end player, you may be better off buying a less expensive model that still has progressive scan, and whatever functions you're looking for. To my mind, the only reason to buy an Elite 57Ai or 47Ai is if you really want to listen to multi-channel music, and you have an Elite receiver with iLink capabilities. These two components obviously mesh seamlessly for the purpose of playing the ever increasing stock of SACDs and DVD-As.

Post Number: 25
Ah In my question I meant to say how much should I spend on a DIGITAL cord....
Thanks
Jeff

Post Number: 18
not sure if im understanding your question, but here's a shot, the only audio cord you need is a digital one, everything will go through it.

$60 for a 2m one will get you a good one, in either optical or coax.

Post Number: 26
well thats the only thing ill need for audio... Ill still need component for video... My dealer was saying he has ones ranging from 50-150 for the decent stuff and suggested budgeting most of my wire money towards the digital one... Do you all think the cord really makes that much difference?
Thanks

Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 22
Best buy sells a monster digital coaxial cable for about $39 and it is a good one. If you buy one from the dealer, you will be paying a hefty price as they don't sell in bulk and cannot afford to sell that stuff at the lower prices like best buy and circuit city. I use two monster coaxials in my system and they sound great.

Brent

Post Number: 27
is coax better than optical? And can my reciever and dvd player handle coax?

Username: Harbolt

Post Number: 25
The thinking several years ago was that optical was better than coaxial. I think now, that has changed. I actually changed from optical to coaxial because I felt coaxial gave me a little better bass response. I guess it is all personal preference. The cables will cost you about the same. As far as if your unit can handle these connection,
there should not be any problem. Most all receivers now and almost all of your higher end more expensive dvd players have them. This shouldn't be a problem.

Post Number: 19
the digital audio cord does make a huge difference. for $60 i think i was thinking of the 2m, for 40 you could pick up the same thing in 1m. i wouldn't go cheap on optical if you decide to go with that.

for video, definatly component, no digital connections for dvd's. unless you have the samsung 931, or a 4k denon. component cables, its not necessary to get the best stuff out there, id go midline, no difference. i just wouldn't buy a cheap fiberoptic cable for the audio

Post Number: 28
what about coax? how high line should i go with that?

Post Number: 20
its not as critical as optical. we've hooked up our surround in the store with a AR optical then switched it to a monster 200 because it didn't sound right. fiber optics are a little more touchy. for coax, id still get the better stuff because its not that big of a price difference, not the best, but id get this if i where you

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=150

Username: Taylor

Post Number: 1
the nice thing about quality cable like monster is the connectors, in my opinion. The cables are sturdy and well insulated, but the connectors are always better, and I can definitely tell the difference between a cable with good RCA plugs and cheap plasticy ones.

Username: Tim

Post Number: 27
You only need a digital cable for watching DVDs. Doesn't matter whether it's coax or optical.
Opinion is divided over whether there is a detectable difference in sound quality, and if there is, which is better.
It appears to depend on the boxes you're connecting, the specs and positioning of your speakers, the acoustics of the room, and the dynamics of your own ears. In short, the only way to find out is to try both yourself.
There are several threads on this board debating the relative merits of coax and optical.

Equally, opinion is divided over whether an expensive cable makes a noticable difference to the sound. The fact that you're asking suggests you're not a seasoned audio-enthusiast whose only goal in life is the definitive sound system. I'm guessing you want the best results without busting a gut. In which case I would suggest the $39 Monster cable at BestBuy sounds good (see Dubz' link above). I wouldn't spend more than that.
Also, consider the length. You're only going from your DVD to the receiver - if they're in the same unit, you probably only want 50cm, not 2m.

Video - yeah, component. Dubz is right (IMHO) when he says to get some mid-range stuff. Remember you can connect your DVD direct to the TV or route it through the receiver.

As a rule of thumb, you should expect to pay around 10% of your hardware price on cables. This is just a guide. Do the math and decide for yourself.

Finally, give some thought to Taylor's comment. You're buying a decent machine but not intending to use the features that justify it's price tag. If you don't want SACD or DVD-A, you might save yourself some cash by buying a different model.

Post Number: 29
I will eventually use SACD and DVD-A, but for now I dont want to spend the extra money on cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us