Upgrade from Sony STR-DA555ES to Pioneer VSX-53TX worthwhile?

Tim Davis
Unregistered guest
I'm tempted by the new features like MACC and DPL-II, but I wonder if a new receiver will sound better than my 5 year old model. The Sony is rated at 120WPC, while the Pioneer is 100WPC. The question is, would this upgrade just get me new features or is the sound noticably better?

I also wonder if the bass management features are more flexible on the Pioneer. On the Sony, I have to set the front speakers to small to get low freq sent to the subwoofer. Is it the same on the Pioneer?

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 107
You will find the Pioneer much more powerful than the Sony especially in multichannel mode. Much warmer sound . You could not find two more different sounding brands than these two. It would be helpful to know what speakers you have to recommend a new receiver. I love the Elite line but there are other very good brands also, all better than Sony IMO.

Tim Davis
Unregistered guest
I'm Using Cambridge Soundworks speakers - MC500 Center, M60 Fronts, S300 Rears, P1000 subwoofer.

I might upgrade to DefTechs ...

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 108
Elite would be a great choice especially if you upgrade to Def Tech. Also listen to Monitor Audio speakers if you are able to hear them. Elite/Monitor is a great combination. I would also recommend Marantz 7400, H/K 630 and NAD 763. An especially great buy right now is the H/K 7200 which can be had for under $900 at a few sites. Very powerful and a steal for the money. Only drawback is small number of inputs. [NAD has same problem].
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us