Home theater

Anonymous

I have about 2000 to spend on a home theater. What I have read is not to under buy. Would I be better of buying a receiver maybe a yamaha 1400 and add just two speakers now for a stereo system and adding more speakers later. If this is allright which brand would you recomend.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 41
Anon,

First of all, we in order to make good recommendations to you, we would need to know more about your budget. You say you have $2000 to spend on a home theater. Does this mean that you need everything (i.e. tv, DVD player, etc) or just a receiver and speakers?

As far as your comment regarding "under buying"...I have heard valid arguments on both sides. On one hand, assuming that your $2000 is just for speakers and a receiver, you could get an entire system that sounds great for that price. Granted, it will not be "the best" that you can possibly get, but I have seen people make it work with a lot less. But then again, if you are like me and you want to be able to be satisfied knowing you got some of the best equipment out there, then your plan of getting a receiver and only two speakers would be the way to go.

As far as recommending certain brands, that is very difficult to do with so little information. Receivers and speakers have very unique charachteristics and should be matched together in a way as to compliment each other well. For example, you mentioned Yamaha. Yamaha is known as being a very "bright" receiver. Therefore, you would probably want to get speakers that are somewhat more mellow as to tame some of this brightness. By the same token, HK and Pioneer Elite make very warm sounding receivers, and these can be paired with speakers that are more on the bright side. So my best advice to you is to take some time and go to a few different dealers and have a listen. See what you like. If you can narrow your choices a little bit more, then we can give you much more information.

Good luck!

Username: Dm57

Post Number: 3
Johnny,

whta would you recommend with Mission speakers (753 as front, v6c as central and m5ds as rear)? How about NAD 752(753)

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Johnny. What I have is a DVD player and a 50 inch TV. What I was thinking is if I only had 2000 for speakers and a receiver would it be better to buy a receiver that would be about 800 and put together speakers for stereo music now and add speakers later for 5.1. If this is okay is there a brand that would be a good fit. Thanks again

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 43
Anon,

Like I said, all of this is up to you. If you want it all now, we can recommend a nice system that would cost a total of around $2000. But, if you want to have a little better stuff, then your plan would work well. As far as brands go, (warning: opinion coming) I have an NAD and love it. The other brands I would recommend are HK, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, and Rotel. All of these brands are considered to be "warm" sounding (which I prefer...but others don't). All of these brands are also farily honest with their power ratings...wheras certain other brands are not. As elitefan has said on other threads...I would personally rather buy from a brand who is honest in their ratings and does not artificially inflate them for marketing purposes as some others do. Once again, these are just my opinions and recommendations.

As for speakers, I have PSB speakers and love them as well. I am also a big fan of Paradigm. Although I have never heard them, others on this forum have highly recommended Monitor Audio speakers as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us