Better than a W7?

Anonymous

Can anyone, especially GlassWolf, tell me if there is truly a better sub than the W7?

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 47
Look At Image Dynamics IDMax,Adire Audio Brahmas,Cerwin Vega Strokers,Elemental Design E15A.22,Resonant Engineering Triple X,and Treo Engineering SSX Line

Username: Chippa

Post Number: 22
Check out the Diamond Audio TDX. Strokers hold thier own, too.

Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 18
TDX is good but not W7 material. Hey take a look at the MTX 9500 good alternative for less money and will pound just as good if not tighter. If you put clean 1500w into it it will be louder then the JL.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 313
I'd mostly agree.
the 9500 MTX isn't better than the W7 but it's good.. same with the eD.
Onyx LSM series are good looking subs, but hard to get info on them.
DD has some good subs for raw SPL as well.

Anonymous

all you guys have mentioned several different brands of subs, and im not going to doubt their claims, but everytime i read an article, or a review, or a comment on subwoofers, i always hear professionals making references to the W7 and how much it overtakes every other sub on the market. Now i know advertising can play a big role, but it is obvious that the W7 is a superior sub, and if there was truly a better sub than the W7 I think everyone would know that. How do you think the W7 became known as the best sub to begin with? It was introduced into the world and was compared to all the subs that were the reference subs at the time, and the W7 ended up rivaling everything. So you think that if there were anything better than the W7 (good attempt, MTX) it would be known by now.

Post Number: 20
LoL right the W7 is the best sub in the world. Lets all ignore Treo, Resonant Engineering, oh and you can not not igrnore Orion. Man I almost forgot those myself the new H2 amazing amazing sub. You want an awsome sub check out the H2. But hey ofcourse its better to pay twice as much to get the W7 you know cause car toys sais so or the magazin reveiws say so the same magazines that get money from JL for their advertizments. Come one guys use your heads. W7 good sub over priced tones of stuff out there that cost less and sounds better.

Post Number: 21
Such as lol glasswolf is going to love this the MTX 9500 12 or the 15. You put 1500 clean watts in the 15 you wont want to turn up the volume.

Post Number: 321
To answer how the W7 got it's reputation, JL Audio has had a general reputation as one of the better speaker companies in car audio since the early 90s. The W7 is their top of the line product, so it's accolades weren't difficult to spread considering the attention JL already was receiving in the competition circles.
It's like asking hey, how come Ferrari's Enzo is so popular all of a sudden? Well, because everyone already knows Ferrari, so when they release their supercar, it makes quick news.
same principle.

here's the spec sheet on the W7:
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/13W7_MAN.pdf
Here's the specs on the MTX 9512, which is MTX's top of the line 12" sub.
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/T9512-44.pdf

Compare the specs on the two, for general design.

Post Number: 22
Yeah unfortunatly the JL is more of a S600 Benz you want Ferrarie and since we are comparing the companies top of the line then lets be fair.

the JL http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/13W7_MAN.pdf

MTX RFL

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/RFL.cfm

Now honestly if you tell me that the W7 hits harder then that monster I will laugh. You know since we are comparing the companies top of the line and all. I have seen with my own eyes the RFL hitting just one sub hitting 159. LOL I would like to see any one JL sub to over 145. One MTX 159 one JL never over 145. Even if that much. Cant forget the Solo X I have seen that sub break 1" MDF box literly this box exploded. Now tell me the JL is the best please. Comepared to other top of the line subs the JL is a joke. Its for the everyday Joe who has money to spend and thinks he is getting a deal. Cheack out the Stroker or the MMats monster. Anonymous there are tons of subs out there that are alot better then the JL go to some compertitions you wont see JL breaking any records trust me. They where great when the W6 came out now they are over priced trophy products. Glasswolf honestly now do you seriously think there isnt a sub out there that is better then the W7. Be honest. A sub that hits harder then the W7 he honest.

Username: Josh_heller

Post Number: 4
If you are going to compare subs, make it an even comparison. You cant talk about a sub that handles 2000w rms and say its better than a 13w7 that handles half as much. sure it will be louder but you cant compare the 2. And by the way, jl wins SQ competions all the time. And, yes, there is no sub better than the W7. Thank you

Post Number: 23
SQ sure why not hey if you are ding sq get 3 W3v2 will sound better pound as hard and less money on an amp. Any why cant you compare the 2. If we are comparing the best of the best then its not MTX's fault that JL doesnt have a 2000watt amp. Pyle best sub prolly 300 rms you can still compare the W7 and the pyle and ofcourse the W7 is better. Its kinda the same thing with the RFL and the W7 of course the RFL is better. Sorry guy but you payed too much for not all that much. For the same money you could have alot better stuff. But that would take research and time I know its easy to walk into car toys and buy their most expensive things and think that you have the best stuff. And hey thats for you but it doesnt mean the W7 is the best sub out there. Its not even close.

Post Number: 24
Compared it to the 12W7 just because that seems to be the sub most people are familiar with.

Ease of installation is about the same. With the w7, you have the overroll surround, which can be a pain but gets easier the more you work with them. The H2 has more screws than other subs that have to be predrilled exactly, but it also becomes easier with experience.

Sq. I would have to say that the W7 is probably my favorite sub when it comes to SQ, but the H2 is an extremely close second. Higher frequencies hit harder with the H2 than the W7, as well as the low end, but i feel that the overall spectrum of SQ as a whole is a little clearer than the W7, but again, not by much.

SPL. Destroys the W7. Much higher power handling due to its Dual Gap Geometry. Sensitivity on the H2 is higher than the W7, which i know doesnt mean much, so we swapped out the H2 box with a W7 box, and the difference was about 3.4 DB less with the W7.

This was a test run for me to see if i wanted to do the 15H2, and it seems that i am going to. Time and time again i have had loud systems in my car, but since it is my daily driver, i would always get pissed off when i tried to listen to normal music. The H2 gets loud, stays loud, and responds well to all types of music. Pricing is good too. the 12H2 retails for 599, as opposed to 749 for the W7.

Username: Josh_heller

Post Number: 8
so what kind of subs do you have in your car man?

Post Number: 25
Hey dont get offended I can see that you are getting a little worked up. Dont you got a great product and I know it sounds great because I owned it myself. Right now I have MTX 9512 D4 in a custom ported box with MTX 81000D and I like it better then my old 12 W7. And I spent half as much on my stuff. Dont get offended but this thread asks for subs that are better then the W7 and there are subs that are better.

Check out this thread we had a long talk about this subject read the last few posts.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/8763.html

Post Number: 331
come to think of it, nobody ever clarified.. was that "better than the W7" in SPL, or SQ?
The answer to that can vary quite a bit.
I'm not into SPL competitions. I find them a bit silly, so it's not really my focus.
I aim for higher end SQ systems, which is pretty much evidenced by my next system I've drawn up.
it'll be loud enough.. but that's far from the main focus.

SQ is hard to say "this is better than that" anyway since it's mainly subjective when you get past the quantitative issues like accuracy or speed of the sub.

Post Number: 28
Glass what do you think about the H2?

Post Number: 341
great subs. I used to sell Orion.
I used almost entirely orion drivers in my IASCA car as well.
very good stuff.
the older, the better.

Username: Jmc

Post Number: 1
There is nothing beter than a W7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Except for your moms loose pu$$y, those quifs hit like 155db.

Anonymous

Now thats funny

Username: Tlo211

Post Number: 3
http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=9900b

This sub is much louder then the W7... especially the quad voice coil version

Username: 01gsxr

Post Number: 16
John chump,wat are you smoking. jl is a great speaker but def not the best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us