JL Audio 10W7

Anonymous

Does anyone have any comments or stories they'd like to share about this amazing sub? I have one and i will never go back to anything else.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 221
very nice sub for a 10"
The 13W7 is pretty spiffy too, in the proper enclosure.

Anonymous

i have a question. hopefully GlassWolf can answer this. Ive heard that the W7 has foam surround. that bothered me because ive always known that the crap foam you see on lower end speakers are shi tty, but the surround on the W7 didnt look like that crap foam, it looked like a lot higher quality foam, like it isnt even regular foam at all. does anyone know exactly what kind of material that is? plus, i dont think JL would give a 3 year warranty to a sub that will crap out after a year because of cheap foam.

Anonymous

i have another comment. im tired of seeing MTX trying to say their "thunder" 9500 is better than the W7, and one of their atempts was to say that the W7 had a foam surround that sucks for car enviornment and that theirs was better. Good luck MTX. they made this super, astronomical power consumer of a sub that was simply designed for SPL (the one that came in this big wooden monkey crate) and then they try and design a sub to stand up next to the sq of the w7? from the comparison, its obvious that they made the thunder to handle more power but it doesnt stand anywhere near the sq of the w7. sorry MTX, the 9500 is not a sq sub like the w7. its just spl again. i mean, look at the 2 standing next to each other. its so obvious they tried making it look like the w7. what a bunch of f ags

Post Number: 258
Firstly, foam surrounds aren't by default, a bad thing.
My Cerwin-Vega LE12D subs use foam surrounds with treated paper cones, and they are extremely efficient subs. With 160wRMS each on two of them, I was hitting 151dB with a custom vented enclosure (read: not bandpass) and these subs were made in 1989. They still work as well as they did the first day I had them.
Foam surrounds are lighter than poly ones, and tend to be more efficient. rubber surrounds on subs tend to lower the Fs slightly, but also demand more power from the amps to drive the subs due to their lesser flexibility. It's a matter of durability versus efficiency.

Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 8
Hey Anonymous number 3 your a moron. Its obveouse you dont know isht about subwoofers. MTX is so much better then the W7 people need to stop comparing the two. First lets take a look at the price. The W7 $1000 and you need another $1000 for the amp. Thats $2000 in case the moron Anonymous number 3 cant count. For $2000 dollars you can get 2 12" 9500 with 2 MTX 1501 and it will blow away that W7 in sq and spl. LOL for SQ turn down the 2 MTX's and they will hit nice tight bass and be way louder then the W7. I mean ...Anonymous #3 your an amature and there are no words to discribe your stupidity. Iam just going to have to say I owned the W7 12" with the 1000/1 in the JL ported box. Got it off a friend didnt pay nearly as much as retail and then I heard the MTX 9500 15" and it wast crazy insane blew away my poor W7. So I sold the JL system and for half the Price bought the 9500 12" with 81000D in a custom ported box and it sounds alot better then the W7 non of the sloppy base that sounds like someone is ripping a$$ and it hit hard in my Jeep wrangler. Aynonymous #1 buy 2 MTX 9500 10". It will cost the same as one W7 but it will be so so so so so so so much better. Dont listen to the hype JL is good stuff but over priced just so you can say I have JL. MTX amps are awsome and the 9500 is an awsome sub but the rest 8000 and down is crap. GO with MTX you wont be disapointed.

Username: Paperbag

Post Number: 5
hey tiggy, you are the fuc kin moron. you must be deaf if you think the MTX sounds better than the JL. and where the hell did you get $1000 from? you must be deaf AND blind, because the 10W7 that MTX compares their shi t to is $550 buy itself. its obvious YOU dont know shi t about subs, all you can say is, " hey that bass sounds good!!" to a person that feels sorry for you and pulled you out of your closet to show you what a car stereo was like. you need to pull your head out of your a$$ and do some research on the 2 subs and then come back to this thread and apologize for being such a dumb a$$ and admit that MTX sucks! later you fuc k!

Post Number: 9
Hey Alex Bratter hows the trailer treating you. I have dont the research and if you didnt have your head so far up your a$$ you would have read the part where I wrote that I owned both systems and the MTX sound alot better in both SQ and SPL. The prices I got from cartoys.com take a look moron.

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

And yeah I know you can get it for cheaper on ebay but its not the prices that matter its the ratio because if the JL is cheaper on ebay then so is the MTX moron! Its the siple fact that for one JL you can get 2 MTX weather you get it on ebay cartoys or anywhere else. And the MTX doesnt just "soung good" moron it out does the JL on the SPL reader. And am not saying MTX is better then JL no JL makes awsome stuff again and MTX 8000 6000 4000 subs are crap. But teh 9500 is a beast with a pair of MTX 81000 it will amaze you. And Alex please do us all a favor a croll back into that nasty meat hanger thats your moms pu$$y and stop talking about products that you cant afford so you really dont know how either one sounds. By the way I am blind and deaf. MORON

Post Number: 10
By the way anon #3 MTX looks nothing like the JL f@g. LOL

Post Number: 11
BURN BURN!!!!! Alex and Anon #3 BURN!!! ouch BURN!!!!!!! welcome to the special olympics you are arguing online. BURN!!!!!!! hahahahahaha BURN!!!!!

Post Number: 283
MTX used their smallest 9500 series sub to compare to the W7.
The reason for this is that by the time you get to the 12W7 and 13W7, they blow the 9512 out of the water. Look at Xmax alone.
MTX 22.5mm
JL Audio 32mm
that's one-way excursion for each sub.
The JL 13W7 with a 1000/1 or 12W7 with the 500/1 will outperform the 9512 with any amplifier, any day of the week in a proper enclosure.

By the way, if you are going to bust on people for being morons, at least learn to spell words like obvious, and done when posting your retorts.
decent spelling and grammar is a pretty good indication of your education.

Post Number: 12
Iam sorry my good sir that I dont copy and past all my posts on to word and spell check them the way you do. but I will kep that in me mind the next time i apempt to post my retorts. But on a more scientific note "GlassWolf" your are correct they do compere their smalles sub teh 10"in to the JL sounds unfair yeah ...no moron they compare their 10 to the JL 10 whats your point "MTX used their smallest 9500 series sub to compare to the W7." By the time they get to the 13W7 they are sucking my d1ck becuase the cost of the 13.5 is more then the MTX 15 which will destroy the JL. You morons "obviously" are not getting my point where keeping in mind all the factors including the price because belieave it or not "GlassWolf" it is one of the factors of the subwoofer, the MTX 9500 out does the JL W7 simple fact. And I dont have an education Iam 11 and I live in a box. STOP MAKING FUN OF THE HOMELESS you fuking a$$ licking jachole sun of a bi.....Iam sorry I told myself I wouldnt. I apologize if I affended anyone but honestly if this thread was about how great the 9500 is I would be arguing about how awsome the W7 is just to see what you morons would say back. Again dont make fun of me for having no life I was beaten as a child so please understand. Jesus once said "the MTX 9500 is alot better and a much better buy then the W7." In the spirit of the the holidays I think we should listen to Jesus and do as he sais. So go my friends open your wallets and buy yes buy all the 9500 that you can get your hands on and then slowly make love to it the way "GlassWolf" malests car sterio equipment. Follow in the steps of GlassWolf one day we will reach the internet glory that GlassWolf dominates on this forum. We love you GlassWolf. Thank you.

Post Number: 289
I have no need to use a spell checker. I actually graduated highschool.
My point on the MTX vs JL issue is that by using the ten inch subs, they didn't mention the fact that MTX doesn't increase their Xmax as the driver size increases. JL does. The JL is superior in real world performance, and as a professional in this field, I can tell you that with no doubt. I've actually seen them side by side, not just read advertising, then tried to sound like I know what I'm saying.
Now please crawl back into your box.. and stay there. We'd all be very grateful.
It's a shame a few losers with nothing better to do than display their lameness spend so much time ruining an otherwise good forumm.

Anonymous

GlassWolf has a good point. I don't use spellchecker either. I actually know how to spell. And he proved that the JL is better than the MTX. So there you go, tiggy. All your wining was for no good. Its obvious you just came to this forum to write random crap that you know nothing about. It also sounds like you need to spend less time dealing with car stereos and more time in a mental hospital. So crawl back in your box and shut the h ell up!

Post Number: 13
Wow a lot of people want me to crawl. Well Iam glad that you all have graduated high school I am still working on it. The funny thing is though did any of you losers go to a University.... yeah didnt think so. By the way I have been accepted into Pepperdine. Yeah so am glad you losers can spell because I wont need to my secretary will be doing that for me and if not here then my secretaries secretary will be doing that. And GlassWolf didnt prove isht. Because still you morons dont get it. Even if the 12" W7 out performs the 9512 it still cost almost twice as much as the MTX ok guys do you understand this. Or no you morons dont understand this. Ok I am going to make it as simple as I can for the junior college morons. For on JL you can get 2 MTX ok do you understand that much. Ok I hope so now for the second part. Two 9500, stay with me, thats two 9500 will sound better then one W7 no matter what. Ok? Do you guys understand now or is it difficult for you guys to grasp this concept. I guess I cant blame you. I am a bad person for making fun of the less fortunate I am sorry guys but it has to be done because you morons are wrong. Now again out of all the times that GlassWolf has talked about the W7 and the 9512 he still hasnt mentioned the price. So please GlassWolf, Anonymous read the above part slowly maybe take notes and you know review them maybe that will help maybe you can have your younger siblings explain it to you I dont know. But seriously for the Price of one JL sub and amp you can get two MTX subs and amps. Ok 1 JL = 2 MTX, 2=better. How is that? If you guys want I can email you a color picture of the concept if that will help. I am here for you guys I want to help you help yourself its not too late for you guys to stop being losers and maybe become someone useful in this world. I am here for you guys I can only imagine how hard it is for you idiots to live and function with normal people I am sorry.

Post Number: 306
Yes, I hold degrees in Electrical Engineering, and English, actually, from VPI. I'm probably also close to twice your age though.
Ok, if you want to talk price, talk price. Yes the 9512 is cheaper, but price doesn't affect performance. Compare one or the other.
If you want to compare performance to price ratio, sure the 9512 is a good sub. I never said it sucked. I merely said the W7 is a superior speaker, which it is.
If you want to see another great sub, look at the Adire Brahma.
I can buy a 13W7 for about $450, which isn't that bad of a deal really.
You'll find that money isn't as big of a factor when you actually start earning some. I'm not trying to bash you.. it's just a fact of life. Things don't seem so out of reach when you have a fat paycheck in your hand. heh

Now, stop trying to be so offensive. You're not that talented at it anyway. Pretty good comedian, though.

Post Number: 14
First of all if we are going to compare the speakers you cannot ignore the price its irrelevant that you can get it for 450 because that's just you not the average consumer. Second of all if we are going to ignore the price because "money isn't as big of a factor" then in that case the W7 is not the superior speaker. There are brands like Treo CSX or Resonant Engineering or Solo X. If we ignore the price then the W7 is no where near being the superior speaker, there are plenty of subs out there that will out perform the W7. But if we are going to compare the W7 to the 9512 then you can not ignore the price and in that case the MTX is the superior sub. Let me just go out there and say yes the W7 is the better speaker which I disagree but lets say it is and money is not an object then no I wouldn't buy the W7 if money is not an issue. But if you are giving advise to the "public" then price is a major factor because not everyone has a "fat paycheck" and in the case the MTX is the over all better value in performance to price ratio. And if the W7 and the MTX's are arguably close in performance then wouldn't the best choice be the cheaper one? Unless of course you want to pay more simply for the name.

Anonymous

well, here we go, tiggy. i agree that comparing the 2 also means the price, but the reason the MTX is cheaper is because it uses low grade, pathetic parts that dont stand up to shi t! thats great that MTX is cheaper, but it still doesnt outperform the W7. go ahead and sit in your pathetic shell and believe that the MTX piece of shi t sub is better than the W7. It doesnt matter to me because im not the one who has to listen to it. One last note: whether you look at price, SQ, SPL, etc, the MTX does NOT, i repeat, does NOT beat the W7 at all. You obviously are an identical twin to Helen Keller and you need to just stay off the computer and shut the fuc k up!

Anonymous

Tiggy you cocksucking bitc h. This is Mrs. Anonymous...and I wanted you to know that if you didn't have YOUR head so far up your own A$$ Then you would realize what a stupid fuc k you are!! Talk about my husband like that again and I will hunt you down and castrate your tiny monkey balls you stupid FUC K!! Think I'm joking...try me!!

Also to Glasswolf...I have the utmost respect for you. You really know your stuff, and so does my husband...you have helped him out greatly.

Well later Tiggy you stupid peon!! You need to educate yourself better before you get back on here and run your stupid mouth. Watch it cause I am watching you!!

PS: Sorry to anyone reading this form. I apologize for being rude, this form is for information only...and I do not wish to offend anyone who is actually on this site for its true purpose...but a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do...and I must protect my man...you other guys know what I mean?? LOL! Nothing overly personal Tiggy but your wrong and you suck!!!

Post Number: 310
a: you were comparing performance at first. period. you lost that argument so now you try to argue from the psecific to the general, by saying "The MTX is cheaper so its better!"
that doesn't work. logic doesn't work like that.

b: this was MTX versus JL, as per MTX's whitesheets they posted on their site. Those are the two products we're comparing. Don't again try to distract from your failure to produce a good argument for your point of view by trying to muddy the issue with introducing more products. yes I know of subs better than the W7 as well. That wasn't the point.

c: "But if we are going to compare the W7 to the 9512 then you can not ignore the price and in that case the MTX is the superior sub."

I agree. The MTX is superior.. in price only.
In actual performance, side by side, the W7 will be the superior of the two in every way.
Your lack of income is no argument for the performance of a product, or lack thereof.

d: I, and anyone else can go right over to eBay and buy a W7 for $300-450. That had nothing to do with any sort of price break.

e: I'll pay more for better performance. Period.
This means instead of running out and buying what I can afford with what's in my pocket, I'll save up to buy the better product every time. That's why I own products like MartinLogan, and not crap like Pyramid.

f: I think this thread has run it's course. I'm done replying to this thread. Feel free to get the last word in, if it makes you feel better, and thank you for at least attempting to keep this discussion civil, and not resorting to baseless name-calling like I've witnessed from (l)users like "TED."
Hope ya didn't take any of this personally.

Post Number: 15
Oh yes the morons have joined the party to anonymous #1 honestly you sound like an idiot and I don't have anything else to say to you. Seriously your a joke and you probably have no idea if the parts are "pathetic" on the MTX or not. ", the MTX does NOT, i repeat, does NOT beat the W7 at all" yeah you really don't have to repeat yourself you sounded like an idiot the first time you mentioned it. To the raging biatch who is other wise know as Mrs. Anonymous ..creative good job lezbo. Now is your husband paralyzed below the neck so he cant type or is he just a dickless retard so he cant defend himself. He is probably both if he married a dumb bich like you. And lol you threaten me. How fuking stupid are you. You are threatening someone online you trailer trash loose pusy toothless wh0re. And now I know I misspelled some words in the past mostly because I was typing quickly but "utmost" honestly. P.S. dumb s1ut get yourself off the computer and do something about your face because we know that you are ugly as hell if you spend your time talking sh1t on some forums. Defending your retard husband. You know lucky for you there are people out there like myself who will tolerate morons like yourself other wise I don't know maybe the world would be a better place. So Marry Christmas to everyone happy holidays Mrs. Anonymous maybe one of your friends will get you a v1brator to calm yourself that's assuming that you have friends.

Post Number: 16
Glass the pervious post was for the morons before you. But to respond to your post I am going to disagree with you I didn't lose the argument. I simply brought in a different perspective because I realize it was pointless to argue which one is better without using facts that apply to the average buyer. Now you can argue that the specs on the subs are insignificantly higher on one over the other which goes both for the JL and the MTX. But again when it comes down to over all SPL and SQ the two subwoofers are practically identical of course it all depends on the buyer, one might prefer the MTX over the JL and vise versa. Which brings us to the single other deciding factor, the price. Now you said "by saying "The MTX is cheaper so its better!" that doesn't work. logic doesn't work like that." again if the products are practically identical then yes cheaper is better. You said that I lost the argument but on the contrary you are the one who lost the argument because you resorted to subtle cheap shots and personal attacks. The question was which is the better subwoofer and when comparing performance and price the MTX comes out on top. You can change the tone of your writing all you want but yet again you are the one who has failed to produce a legitimate argument for your point of view. Yes it is true you can get the JL on eBay for cheap but the same goes for the MTX. You said that you will pay more for better performance but your understanding of better performance is clouded by your superficies thoughts that more money equals to a better product. In which case you are greatly mistaken. And if we are going to keep this discussion civil then do so without the impudent remarks about my lack of income or by trying to degrade my argument with rhetorical comments. And no I don't want to have the last word and I wish that you will respond with a better argument why the average buyer should pay more for and identical product. The way that I understand it from your earlier arguments W7 is better simple because its JL and I bet if you where in a room and listened to the 2 subs not knowing which one was which you couldn't identify either. Which brings us to my point if you can't tell the difference from the two which trust me you can't and if you can great the average consumer never will. In which case the best choice is the one that cost the least.

Anonymous

hey tiggy. this is mr anonymous. i must say, the comments you made to my wife were rather funny. i laughed at "the paralized below the neck" and the other comments you made. you have talent in that field. good job. i have to change the subject, though. First, i apoligize. This forum is not a WWF match, this is just a place to post questions, answers, and advice to people who want help on car audio. Creating the perfect car stereo system is a dream we all have, and the reason we came to this site is to get closer to that dream. This isnt about bitc hing at each other or hating one another, its about helping each other. So i will be the first to say I'm Sorry, and im just here to learn and comunicate with people. So have a merry christmas and i hope to hear from you soon, Tiggy

Post Number: 17
Hey Its all good Iam sorry too and I don't know you or your wife so what ever I said was just to retaliate. And I agree with you sometimes we get carried away because of difference in opinion. Marry Christmas.

Anonymous

shi t happens tiggy. have a good christmas man. maybe we will have some questions for each other sometime. later man.

Post Number: 314
download the TS specs for the 9512, and the 12W7.
comparable subs by diameter at least.
compare those instead of the specs for the tens that MTX used.
As I said before, the W7 has an Xmax of 32mm, as opposed to the 9512's 22.5mm
That's a massive difference that equates to considerably more SPL. Aside from that the design of the W7 line of subs is better overall, which is easier to understand if you know a fair amount about both engineering and speaker design, which I don't expect most people to know.
I feel that I put forth a fair assessment of the W7's design advantages, and I did concur that the 9500 series are good subs. I just feel that saying they are better than the W7 is purely MTX's advertising hype.
No more costly doesn't always mean better, but the rule of thumb that you get what you pay for is practically law in the audio world for the better part.
I buy what I think is the best for me and my preferences.. not teh best based on what costs the most. The MartinLogans I have are $6,500/pair. That's far from their most expensive set, but they are, to me the best fit for this room, and the best speakers I've ever heard for the price paid.
In the end I suppose it comes down to defining "value" for each person. What I value, you may not, and that will always affect the buyer's choices.

happy holidays

Post Number: 19
I agree.=)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us