HDC3 15 coming soon

Silver Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Georgia United States

Post Number: 334
building my cousin an enclosure for his HDC3 15 hes got coming on the way. ill post some pics and do a simple little build log. in the next week or so. was thinking about doing the box 4 cubes net tuned to 33 hz.. but i was told that it would be better at around 34 or 35. is this true? its going in a 4 door 2006 silverado and he listens mostly to rap. hit me up with some input. thanks guys!

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3255
how much power? what kind of music does he listen to?

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1286
Those subs loose output tuned lower, I'd say 35 Hz at least.

I left some normalized frequency response plots on the HDC3 15" and the SDC2.5 15" on this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/701883.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
2100watts and i said he listens mostly to rap. thanks though Joe! how does the 4 cubes net sound though?

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
and would 3 4" aeros be good for this set up? it says 3 4" aeros 16.5 inches long.. rovin come give me some input! haha

Gold Member

Post Number: 1290
3 4" aeros on 4 cubic feet would tune you to 36Hz, audioque HDC15" subs perform best 4 - 4.5 cubic feet... Port area is within limits but more port area would be better for them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
well could you help me out? i need to figure this out because im going to be building it tomorrow. i want it to be 35 hz. should i do it 4.5 cubes net volume to make up for the displacements of the aeros and the sub? i just really have no idea what size ports to use and how many.. also.. is there some formulas to figure out all this stuff out? like, how many ports i should use and the diameter and length? and to what frequency it will be tuned?

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
alright, so i've been doing some research.. if i did 2 6 inch aeros, the area would come out to be about 57 right? which would be fine for 4 cubic feet if you use the 12-15 per cu. ft. right? am i on the right track here? and when im inputting information on psp-inc, in the volume section should i be inputting volume before or after displacements?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1292
Let me know the maximum dims of the box you can fit and I post a suggestion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
its going in the back seat of an 06 four door silverado.. but forever on width.. id say about 25 deep, and about 25 height. those are max dimensions and he wants it tuned to 35 hz. thanks a lot joe!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1295
Ok so let me know if the external dims fit:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35 Hz
Vb = 4.019 ft^3

External Height = 18 in
External Width = 29 in
External Depth = 23 in

Port Width = 4 in

Cut List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front = 24 1/4 x 16 1/2
Front Internal = 22 3/4 x 16 1/2
Back = 29 x 16 1/2

Left & Right Sides:
Side 1 = 21 1/2 x 16 1/2
Side 2 = 22 1/4 x 16 1/2

Top & Bottom = 29 x 23

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 19 1/2 x 16 1/2
Extension = 3 1/2 x 16 1/2

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
on the part under L port internal assembly parts, the extension part is confusing me. whats the 3 1/2 for? shouldnt that be 17.5? and should the measurements for the extension and the front to back be switched? but man is that nice! thanks alot for that. ill be sure to give you props when i build it...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1296
Ok, the pic is just to show you how it all assembles, and to show how to apply port airflow optimizations. None are actual dimensions.

The extension length in the pic is much longer than the 3 1/2 " it needs to be.

Also the above is a preliminar spec, you should check the external dims to see if your cousin likes them.

It can all be changed, in fact he could try a permanent install if there's enough space on the back.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17220
cool pic bro ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
ok thats what was confusing me. i didn't know that the design wasn't a scale of the measurements. but hey joe, im gonna pm you a question..

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
pm sent!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1299
Right that was set for a 2:1 T port, the following is for a standard L port, anyhow what's important for now is if the external dims are suitable, I usually submit a number of preliminar specs until everything is just fine and double check the final one:

Fb = 35 Hz
Vb = 4.045 ft^3

External Height = 18 in
External Width = 29 in
External Depth = 23 in

Port Width = 4 in

Cut List:

Front = 24 1/4 x 16 1/2
Front Internal = 22 3/4 x 16 1/2
Back = 29 x 16 1/2

Left & Right Sides:
Side 1 = 21 1/2 x 16 1/2
Side 2 = 22 1/4 x 16 1/2

Top & Bottom = 29 x 23

Front to Back = 17 1/2 x 16 1/2
Extension = 4 1/4 x 16 1/2

Assumes a driver displacement of 0.22 cubic feet and 0.05 cubic feet for bracing displacement.

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
yes those outside dimensions are fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1302
Ok nice the outside dims are ok, if you want an extremely solid build add some top to bottom and front to back cross bracing with wooden dowel rods. I have accounted for bracing displacement on the box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
yes i already have the dowels ready.. thanks alot for everything. did you account for 45 angles on all corners?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1307
Ok if you are actually are going to use dowels let me know the side or the diameter of the dowels, the 45 on the port corner need to leave the cross sectional area of the port intact so I will submit a spec for the 45s and a final revision for the box, also if you have some more space the HDC3 will like up to 4.5 cubic feet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
yeah he has plenty more space, but if you're going to re do the whole thing, shave a tiny bit off the depth. the height can go a bit higher and the width as well.. and im not quite sure which of the dowels im going to use. ive got a big bucket full of them so ill just grab 2 pretty good sized ones.. but would the dowels even really matter much? they couldnt displace that much??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1309
Not really in most cases, I left 0.05 cubic feet to play with bracing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
thats what i thought! but you think? it would make a big difference in a 4.5 cu ft enclosure rather than a 4? if itll sound better or be more efficient, then that's what i'd rather do.. think you could hit me up with some dimensions for the new enclosure? thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
itd be perfect if the depth could be about 20 or 21 inches

Gold Member

Post Number: 1311
Here is a mod to with a depth reduction as you requested:

Fb = 35.033 Hz
Vb = 4.001 ft^3

External Height = 18 in
External Width = 31.75 in
External Depth = 21 in

Port Width = 4 in

Cut Sheet List:

Front = 27 x 16 1/2
Front Internal = 25 1/2 x 16 1/2
Back = 31 3/4 x 16 1/2

Left & Right Sides:
Side 1 = 19 1/2 x 16 1/2
Side 2 = 20 1/4 x 16 1/2

Top & Bottom = 31 3/4 x 21

Front to Back = 15 1/2 x 16 1/2
Extension = 6 1/2 x 16 1/2

Right these subs love port area and big boxes, you get to gain a couple of dBs which is not much but a big deal as it relates to power, you need to double your power to get a 3dB increase better get that from efficiency!

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
thanks man, but i thought you were saying it would be better suited in a 4.5 cu ft box? if that's the case, i'd rather have it in 4.5 cu ft box.. nd the sub and amp should be in today. he get's paid tomorrow so i start building tomorrow morning! should have the build log up soon

Gold Member

Post Number: 1317
Ok EricB, have been very busy but ok what dim can I grow to reach 4.5 cubic feet. width? If you have figures on your bracing I will factor them in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
built the box yesterday. i did it by RE calc since i wasnt real familiar with torres. i gave it a look, but it was a tad confusing.. the box looks extremely good. and performs even better. honestly couldnt ask more out of it. we went on a dirt road far in the sticks to listen to it and it slams the low to mid range bass.. im not sure exactly what the frequency came out to be since its not completely accurate

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
but this is what i ended up with.. 31.75 width, 20 height, 21 depth, 4 inch wide port, and for the port length 2, 8in. it says i have 74 sq in of port area which should be plenty and the total port length is 31. i was shooting for around 4.5 cubes NET around 35 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1318
If the box came out well to your ears you really can care less about the specs, it gives me nearly 34Hz should be a bit higher when you factor in bracing.

Bronze Member
Username: Mlstrass

Illinois

Post Number: 50
FYI.....you're tuned low as hell for an HDC. RE calc is notoriously way off.

But if he likes how it sounds then it's all good

For 35Hz tuning with 16^2 port area per cube you'd want to the port to be 21" long. I've built a LOT of AQ/DD boxes....

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 17247
some pix of the box wud have been nice ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us