Tejcurrent Tahoe Rebuild - part 2

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2744
The first thread was getting waaaay too long, so I'm making a new one.
Here's a link for the first page for those who want to read it: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/663825.html

And a summary for those who don't want to read the first thread:

Final Equipment list:
4 T3 TSNS 18s
1 or 2 Soundigital 16kw amps
3 sets of 6.5 comps (2 front 1 rear, not sure on brand yet)
12 runs of 1/0 wire
10 large XS Power batteries (8 d3100, 2 S3400)
4 240 amp alternators
Lots I'm leaving out

At this point I'm doing a bunch of testing to find out optimum enclosure, and how many amps I'm going to be running based on the performance and power handling of 1 18.

I'm formatting pics, and will have some work on the busbar / amp rack up shortly.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16918
sweet but we also want vids

Gold Member

Post Number: 2745
I have the one SD 16k, but without the busbars I can't hook it up properly. This made me spend a bit of time starting a new rack to hold things a little better than the last.

The old rack - figuring how I want things
Upload

beginning with some card board, placing end caps
Upload
Upload
Upload
I'm using 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4" baltic birch for different portions
Upload
Upload

Removing the wiring from the old busbars, rerouting a bit, and cleaning things up so I can fit 4 more runs in quickly. Then started the floor.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Making sides

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Going to clean things up a lot before wrapping in vinyl

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Flush with the top plate. I was going to make the top plate so there wouldn't be any gap around the amp, but decided to leave 1/8". I may be sorry but I can redo this part really easy.
Upload
Upload
Upload

I had to stop, but a few more cuts and it'll be done. Once it's wrapped in vinyl and a few other things it should look nice- looking at that last pic it looks a bit ugly lol, but it should look much better once it's done.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 731
Very nice, I'm lovin this build.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1973
i may need to drop by and see this in person.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Post Number: 3342
Kinda off topic but how do you like that Eclipse amp Troy? Im looking for a good 2 or 4ch and Ive seen those Eclipse models going for pretty cheap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2746
Thanks.
deathoob come on by whenever, you thinking about coming to Myrtle beach?

Twiztid, I like the amp. I've had it for 4-5 years now. I've meant to get the XA4000 several times, but this has served its purpose well (EA4000). I really don't need more power yet, and I'll probably just bridge it on 2 sets of components and add another for the rear components, with 2 extra channels for future upgrades.

It was a nice upgrade over the kicker 350.4 I had before, looks great, never gets hot, has 8 g speaker inputs, and runs cool. Anyway back to the build.

I can't believe no one mentioned how ugly that rack was looking. I looked at it this morning and ripped it out. I really wanted the extra room at the front for wiring, and to have good ventilation for the amp, but I wanted it to look cleaner so I'll fight with the wiring a bit.

Looked like crap
Upload

I ripped it down to the bottom large board, removing the sides and 'divider' beside the amp. Made new sides that covered a bit more, and raised the overall height a 1/2" or so on the front side.
Upload
Upload
Upload

I plan on making the area under the busbars white, but I don't want people to see down next to the amp so I wanted to paint it black.

Upload
Upload

While the paint was drying I decided to remove my oooold ground busbar from years ago. It's was grounded to the frame in several places, then split off to several amps. It was convenient to have 3/8" bolts ready to go. Oh yeah, and my brother left a chain saw on the seats that leaked oil onto the carpet- going to be shampooing the whole thing or buying new carpet. It's looking nasty.

Upload

Wrapped and ready to go. I used the closest color I could get to the factory panels, I'll get a doors shot when I get a chance but it matches well.

Upload
Upload

This is what the busbars will sit on

Upload
Upload
Upload

That's all I got done. Next week I'll see if I can get a few hours to lay out the busbars, drill the holes (each 'fuse' block must be bolted- that's 27 + the 2 main bars) and white out this board. Then a top plate, vinyl that + plexi. Also 4 more runs of 1/0 I need to drill a hole in the firewall for.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16931
your getting there......looking good

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1107
Very professional!

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 732
Yea, looking good. Not bad on the color match. Most of the pics you can hardly tell. Besides, to me it looks factory.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16941
gotta love brothers...just kidding

Gold Member

Post Number: 2748
Thanks, a small update:

I want to get those busbars in so I can get at least my door speakers working so that's my focus right now

Another picture that shows the color match- it really looks different depending on the angle lighting to me. Some times it looks completely the same, other ways like 90%
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

My special deep hole marking pencil
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

And painted the panel white so it can dry a day or so, then attach the busbars.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1983
sexy

Gold Member

Post Number: 2749
Thanks, forgot a few pics:
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16956
12 runs of 0g wire u say - OMG ! ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2750
Idk what happened, but most of the pics were corrupted so there's only a few left to post

Rovin, I'm positive on at least 12, but I may do more, adding some voltmeters to help me decide.

1/4" plexi, test fit before wrapping completely
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload

This is a mockup, but figuring out a way to clean up the wiring under the hood- mainly the fuse holders.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1991
i may haft to send you a trophy in the mail.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24585
Troy, you may well go down as one of the best single non sponsored, custom installers I've seen on E. You take pride in your work and do it so well and offer your work here for us to absorb. I wish I had the power to appoint you Godfather lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17008
good work bro

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2223
Ditto to what Paul said... so much time and effort, it really shows. You put more into the amp rack than most do in their entire car.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16959
ur ride has got more runs of wire than some houses lol

cool rack - r there cooling fans in it ? ....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17010
with the power hes planning to run i fully expect more wire

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 540
That is sick man! Awesome! "electical center" FTW

Gold Member

Post Number: 2751
Thanks guys, waay to much credit! I really appreciate it though, when I start thinking of how much money and time I really have in these bars and the rack in general it makes me cringe, but I love the result.

I have serious plans for driving up the East Coast this summer, at least up to Maryland for shows, so I want it to look a bit nicer. There are still things I want to improve on, but I'll wait until the next 'rebuild' or until I get things up and running and get the itch to do work lol.

I still have this to sand/polish
Upload

I decided to install the 4 runs of wire I already have, and hook up my 4ch amp so I can have music until I get time to finish the small blocks and install the 16k.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2753
I should have a back-ache in the mail within a week or so- then a new box build

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2018
excited

Gold Member

Post Number: 2755
Me too! I'm not going to install everything right away- I really want to do some testing and clamping at a comp to see what one sub can really do. There's still so much work to do I'm in no rush.Then I'll re use my old 4 18 box for testing, then build a new one.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Chicago, Illinois United States

Post Number: 444
any box build progress?

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 957
wow I've missed alot. Nice build man. Super clean install!

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8639
do you make alternators???

i just bought an 04 tahoe.. i need some 300 amp alternator..

having dual alts.. hows the gas milage??? did it drop alot?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9797
Damn Troy, you just can't leave anything alone can you? It must be difficult, expensive and labor intensive outdoing yourself all the time haha. Looks awesome man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2759
P3netrator, I am not building alternators until I get my shop going. I've been trying for months and it's taking much more than I thought. I would try Mechman or DC Power for alts with that much output.

I didn't notice any difference with two alternators on the vehicle, it drives and feels the same.

Thanks man, I honestly haven't touched this vehicle since I posted in May. I've been so busy this is the first time I've been to the forum in easily a month or more. Hopefully that will change soon. I hired help for a bit and that didn't work out at all.

The other subs are still being built, should be here in 2 weeks or so. I don't know when I will get them in but my plans have changed so much and I'm so busy I'll probably throw them in that old box soon after they arrive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us