Please help with system advice

Username: Nevertoomuchbass

Post Number: 1
Well im 16 and i just got my first system back in february. i have 2 10 inch mobile spec signature series subs in a ported box pushed by a TMA T2-1000.1 amp. all in the trunk of my 96 Buick Lesabre. I like the setup i have now but i want to take it up a notch. im looking for something that slams, but at the same time has good sound quality. i have been doing a lot of research on all this stuff lately but other than that, im pretty much a total noob. i need someones advice who has physical experience with all of this. one problem i have with my setup is that on some songs, the bass just is not very clear. it just sounds like everything is mushed together and i have to press the "next" button. but it sounds really good with sustained notes. you can check out my youtube page, as i have quite a few videos of the system. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4974

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1157
you got a deep a.s.s. voice for 16. have you done your big 3? turning the sub channel up may be causing distortion or clipping and would make it sound bad. the box's could be tuned to high, the SSF may not be set right. can we get some more specs?

Username: Thelonewolf1985

Post Number: 7
sound deadener? please! get your amp off that box! thats a great way to kill it! get a meter, turn your gain down adjust your frequency, what is the box tuned to?!

Post Number: 2
okay now i really feel like a noob. ive heard of the big three but what exactly is it? what is SSF? how do i adjust my frequency? what would sound deadener do for me? and whats wrong with the amp on the box? this setup was proffesionaly done by one of the most established and well known companies in the area. and what other specs do you want me to get? i have no idea what the box is tuned to but i could probably get you pretty much every measurement of the box so just tell me what ya need. thanks!

Post Number: 3
oh and btw if you hadnt seen already, the subs are reversed now. so im not sure if that really makes a difference to anything but i thought id just throw that out there

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1043
You have a nice amp there, you could stick with that unless you're looking to run more power. Much more power though is going to mean electrical upgrades. The main thing you could do is get a nice pair of 12" subs and a custom ported enclosure made for the sound you're looking for. If you want something in the middle for a good price you could go with type Rs. They do well tuned low, mid or high. They'll also do well on your current amp. Make sure the gain is set correctly and all your filters are set appropriately.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1044
That is what bothers me about some audio shops, they're just out to make a buck. They sell you whatever they can and don't explain anything to you. Then you have no way of adjusting anything or fixing something is something goes wrong. You're left in the dark. On the amp will be a switch for LPF, that should be on. The frequency should be at 60 Hz. You can adjust it a little to suit your taste. The gain should hopefully be set but who knows. The gain is not a volume knob. It is meant to send out a given voltage to the subs in order to supply the correct power at a given ohm load. I think the TMA amps are only 2 and 4 ohm stable so to get the full ~1k rms you'd need to be at a 2 ohm load. Nothing lower. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1045
Those things look like they slam pretty good for 10s. You're either going to have to go bigger and/or run more power.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1160
i was thinking he could make himself a new box to play with and see if that makes things better tuned to the mid to high 30's.

Post Number: 4
naah the company didnt make a dime on this install. i was originally supposed to get 2 sony 12's with a 600w sony amp but they used that last setup 2 installs before me, and i was out of town so they couldnt reach me. so he just upgraded me to these 2 10's and the TMA amp for nothing extra. thats a $440 amp and i got it all for $470 cuz that was the original price for the sony setup. and they did explain a lot to me. this really is a good company and they have helped me a lot along the way with any problems or questions i had. i have no idea how to tell what the gain or lpf is set to but i tried to take some pictures but the uploader on this keeps giving me an error message so i cant post them. but if you wanna see what the gain and lpf look like just give me an email and ill send you the pictures.

Post Number: 5
yeah ive been trying to research boxes and how to tune them because i thought maybe i could get more out of thesesubs with a custom box. and im really good with building things so im pretty sure i could do a decent job on it. i just dont know where to start on dimensions and port area and all that stuff

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1046
The amp goes for $300 online, brand new shipped. I did the same thing though when I was 17 and got my first system. I dropped almost 2 grand on a system I could have probably spent half for online. Constructing a new box though will probably help so thats a great idea. Just find out the specs on the woofers and that'll help determine what specs to build the box to.

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 6
what specs do you need on the woofers? heres the link to the website and im not sure how to get any other specs. http://www.mobilespec.com/p-18-ice-signature-10-br-600-watt-dual-voice-coil-subw oofer.aspx

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1047
I was incorrect on the ohm loads the amp runs at. The older models were 2 and 4 ohm, but this one does 1k rms at 1 ohm.

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 7
yeah im pretty sure its wired at 1 ohm

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11276
lol didn't make a dime

thats a good one

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 8
haha im serious though. he had to beg his manager to let him do it cuz normally that system is like 7 or 800

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3197
470 for the sony setup. I'm going to start my own shop.

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 9
i think what i want to do though, is sell this system and get 2 Fi Q 12"s. I like the smaller companies like Fi. they seem to really make some great products, and ive heard great things about the Q line. They arent quite as extreme as the BTL, and they flex more than the BL. i want system that moves a lot of air. The Mobile spec website gives very little information on specs so i think it might be hard to build a custom box for what i have now. If anyone has anything to add about what kind of amp i should get, and what size box to build, id really appreciate it. Or any other good subs for a decent price that will move a lot of air and sound good. Im also considering maybe just 1 Fi Q 15, as i can just keep the amp i have now.

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 10
why is that overpriced or something?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11280
overpriced? extremely.

"had to beg his manager to do it"?

don't take this the wrong way dude, but you've got some learning to do about the ways of the world. Thats a tactic as old as dirt designed to make you fell like you're getting a good deal. It's all an act. Most commonly used in car dealerships by those slippery used car salesmen, but doesn't surprise me at all to hear about it in the audio business as well.

on a more positive note, you seem to be looking on the right track now, as the Fi Q is imo one of the best subwoofers out there right now.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 694
That amps not bad at all,it would be fine running a single 15'' Fi Q.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 11
well im glad he upgraded me then. and yes i know i have a lot of learning to do. im only 17. but i think i got a decent deal on this system. so now i need to decide between a 15" Fi Q or 2 12"s. or anything else that will shake everything in my car.but it cant be all spl. it needs to sound clean, but at the same time shake everything

Post Number: 8
go with the 15, one 15 will rock your world and will still sound good... but i would consider upgrading your speakers too...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11282
The two 12s have more total cone area and therefore will be louder. I would recommend a sealed or very low tuned ported box, that'll give you a low end monster that'll "shake everything"

Plus the amp you have is not bad and you can keep using it and upgrade later. Those subs will be impressive even without the full power they can take.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11283
don't listen to this noob above posting noob comments in every thread

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1048
If you did want to eventually upgrade the amp for 2 Fi Qs you could look into an AQ2200D. That'll be the most affordable. If you do plan to run ~2k rms though that's when you'll have to start thinking about a bigger alt. The amp you have now is a good one though. 1k rms can get plenty loud with the right set up. Has anyone explained the big 3 to you?

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 12
I am also now thinking of trying to cram 2 15" Fi Qs in my trunk. not sure if i would be able to get all the cubic feet needed for a ported box though. i drive a 96 lesabre so i do have a decent size trunk. do you think the Fi Q is my best choice for good sound quality while still hittin hard?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1161
i run a FI Q 15" with the cooling and extra spider off of 1600 watts, its loudish @ 142.4 db ~ 138 db on music. its about on par with the 2 12" polks i was running off the same power. the 12's had a bigger box tho @3^3ft and the Q @ ~2.9^3ft or 2.8^3ft. the box i built may have been slightly over that for the 12's, and the Q is using aero ports... so shrug.
the Q is a much better sub then the polks tho, 2 Q 12's should raipe and sound good doing it.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1051
If you want low end bass I'd go with the Qs. You're better off having one sub in the correct size enclosure vs. 2 subs crammed into an enclosure too small for them. One 15 in your car on the right power should blow you away.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 13
so the q's are probably definitely loud enough for me. are they my best choice for sound quality? (as far as other small brands such as AA, DC, RE, or SSA go) and should i go with 2 12's, 1 15, or 2 15's?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1165
if you can get the right size box for 2 12's DO IT it should be great to see, in not the 1 15" in maybe a 3.5^3ft box. the 12" needs 1.8-2.5 cuft per sub the 15" needs 2.8-4 cuft per sub. let us know the biggest box you can make out of cardboard and measure it. remember wood wont bend in to the trunk.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 14
sealed or ported?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1166
those are ported specs

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23287
While I didn't read all of the above posts I can add one thing. Whatever subs/amp you choose to run with next be sure to grill the sub(s) out if you plan on firing them back again. From the first vid it looks like you tote a lot of misc gear. You don't want your skateboard or soccer cleats to wreak havoc on your drivers should they fall into contact.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 15
32"x36"x15" or about 10 cubic feet is about what i got to work with in that trunk

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23288
And yes, get that amp off the box.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 16
yeah normally when the subs were facing back, i had a net that stretched across the rear of the trunk that i kept everything under. looking back im not sure why i had all that stuff just loose like that. but thats one reason why i reversed them. i didnt have to worry about anything up against them. and when i said sealed or ported i meant should i have a sealed or ported box? and lastly, whats wrong with the amp on the box?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1167
yeah but can you fit that in there as 1 part and still have clearance? i say ported and tuned low but thats my taste.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23291
The physical chaos that the sub box will present to the internals of the amp will do harm over time. Constant violent vibrations will prematurely wear the internals and thus lead to failure. You can try to dampen the vibrations with rubber mounts and such but mounting the amp to the box also entices thieves for a one stop smash and grab opportunity.

It's just not wise to do..

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 17
what do you mean as 1 part and still have clearance? and wat exactly does the tuning mean? like i want it to hit the low notes real hard but at the same time give me good sound on a little bit higher bass. and if not on the box, where should i mount it?

Post Number: 9
tuning means the resonance of the box; length of ports and port size. If you can fit the 2 12's go for it! however i had a hard time fitting 2 10s in my saab which had a nice large trunk, just kinda weird shape... So otherwise get 1 15 and it will rock your world. as long as the box fits and is properly tuned. ALSO M.S. if you were referring to me as a noob, that is not the case, i have been out of the loop for some time that is all... didnt have all these new relatively low cost choices when i was doing my stuff..}

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1054
If you want the subs to sound good through a wide range of frequencies you can go sealed. If you want the subs to do as well as possible at low end bass, then go ported tuned low. 28 - 32 Hz. I think the 2 12s are a great idea as well. You should have no problem fitting a box for 2 12s in your trunk and they should get plenty loud for you.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 18
well since i havent had a sealed box before i think im going to start with that. but ill build a ported box as well so i can see which one i like more. okay so im gunna go with the 2 Fi Q 12's and i think ill just run them on my current amp until i get the money to buy a new amp. on the Fi website, there are a lot of different options. which of these should i get?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1172
that fine sir is a b1tch of a qestion, cooling + spider and if u knew you where going sealed you might need High QTS.

High QTS: This option is for users who intend on using the new Q series woofers in only a sealed enclosure.

Cooling: The 2010 Q now features a solid pole piece that allows the addition of the Helicool cooling system that will allow an additional 200-500 watts of power handling depending upon install and scenario. Bottom line this option increases thermal power handling capacity over a "Stock" Q. 

Spider: This option adds an additional spider to the spider pack to help with mechanical power handling and keeping the moving assembly under control.

my .02, kk got to run to work.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1057
A good video to show what a Q can do in a correct enclosure with good power.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11287
Sounded to me as if u were recommending 1 15" over 2 12". Which would be a noob statement.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The reason I was recommending 1 15" over 2 12"s as one 15" takes up less space and usually is cheaper on the wallet... That is all... now 2 12"s should be louder and move more air than 1 15 but you use more space and have to shell out more money. The kid is 16 and usually money supplies do not run deep.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 19
well space is no issue with me. it could take up my whole trunk i dont really care. 1 15 would take up a lot of space anyway cuz my trunk isnt that deep. the box would have to sit toward the rear of the trunk, and all that space behind it would be too hard to access for anything. the reason for this, is that the speakers in my rear deck are kinda beastly, so i only have about 15 inches of clearance under those. and i want the box to fit tight in there anyway. i do a lot of fast acceleration and my current box likes to slide back and detatch all the wires, pulling all the carpet with it. thats why i have that piece of plywood in there although i guess i could build the box so the sub is slanted, so the box doesnt need to be as tall...... haha so many possibilities. and money isnt too big of an issue. i mow 3 lawns in my neighborhood for 40-50 bucks a lawn, as well as other odd jobs. and thats just my spending cash. so 2 12" Fi Qs, with cooling, and spider. (i dont think i want high qts because more than likely it will be going into a ported box at some point.)

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 20
and what is a good affordable amp that will push these things hard, but without risking blowing them?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11288
AQ 2200d

Sundown 3000d

American bass 200.1

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 695
^x2 on the amps, Though you would need electrical upgrades if you plan on running that kind of power.
I would definatly go with the 2 12''s if you have the room.
Just as a point of reference. I run a 15''Q in a 4cuft box @35hz on a aq1200d. It sounds pretty good!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
http://cgi.ebay.com/orion-2500d-amplifier-/220652398421?pt=Car_Amplifiers

just a thought...

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1059
I saw that video on youtube earlier. You need to shoot some video of the sub in action

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 699
Yea i have one,but for some reason i cant get it to work. I'll have to make another one.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1173
saz-2500 would be great as well or a saz 2000 if you can find it.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 21
well damn sundown audio is hella expensive! ive heard the aq2200d is a great amp though and i like the price too. im sure ill probably need to upgrade my speakers too but ill come back later for advice on that if i need it. okay so now will someone explain to me what electrical upgrades i need? im still so lost on what the big 3 is

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23303
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=73496&PN=1

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 22
oh wow haha that might be a little over my head. will i need a battery in my trunk?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11290
One battery. Extra batteries do not produce power, alternators do. Do the big 3 for sure, then if your electrical is still suffering it HO alternator time.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 23
alright. and should i do the big three in all 1/0 gague?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11295
yes

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 707
So wait... What did you decide on then?

Bronze Member
Username: Imagedynamics214

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 30
there's a saz2000 on caco right now for like 300 something i think

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1183
jacob is selling a used one for 200 i think.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 24
well i just got home from taking my friend home and about halfway there one of my subs stopped working. i opened my trunk as soon as i got to her house and i stuck my nose in there but couldnt smell any smoke or anything so i dont think i blew it. but ive decided on the 2 12" Fi Qs with an aq2200d. the amp choice isnt final though. once im ready to buy everything ill probably look around for a good used amp first before i buy new.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1189
nothing wrong with used.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 25
haha i know thats why i said i was gunna try to find a used amp before i buy a new one. im so stoked on this system.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1190
i can't wait to do my g/f's system.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 26
this will be my first system build so im pretty stoked on it. im sure im gunna mess something up though. what are you doin for your girl?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1191
AQ 1200D and 2 SSD 10's, theres more if you want to fallow it its the post called help me help my girl. need to update it a bit.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1192
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/639370.html << my curent build

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/645731.html << her's

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 27
ahh yeah i was lookin at this thread earlier. your girl is lucky thats gunna be a nice setup

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 28
okay i still need some more help though. now that i know what im getting, how many cubic feet do i need the box to be? and what frequency should i tune it to? and how to i even tune it?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1193
1.8-2.5 cuft @ 28-33Hz a peace so ~4 cuft should be good, dustin may have better input for u, and i would say ~30hz tuning. if u want to build the box your self dustin will hook you up with a cut sheat and that will also tell you hot to put it together. theres ~3 ways to tune a box, 1.> with aero ports, 2.> with a slot port, 3.> with a inter changeable port. dustin (bassman3) will have more info on that.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 29
alright sounds good. and what exactly does the tuning do?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1195
it increases the out put of the sub 3 db at the hz the box is tuned to.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 30
ohh okay. so should i just PM dustin or what?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1196
just make a post asking for him he will see it.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 31
alright will do. well i think thats about all i need here. thank you so much to everyone who helped me out here! i just happened to come across this forum and im glad i decided to come here for help. ill be sure to post some pictures of the build once i get it going!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5769
Hey Will ~

shoot me an email and we'll talk about what we can work out as far as your enclosure goes. DLaudiotech@gmail.com

Thanks,
Dustin

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 32
alright sure thing!

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 33
okay one last thing i almost forgot. what do i do as far as wire goes? i know 1/0 gague for the power and ground, but what about everything else? the reason one of my current subs stopped working i just found out, is because i fried the wire inside the box. so i dont wanna screw that up

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 132
get some bigger speaker wire than i think i have 8ga for my subs(not too sure dont quote me on that)

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11308
12 gauge speaker wire is plenty for most subs including those Fi's.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1197
10-12 gage unless you start making crazy setup, and 12-16 gage for your door's

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 34
yeah im not sure whats on my doors but my subs only have 16 gague. the connector fried inside the box

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1198
that just sounds like cheep parts or a malfunction.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 35
possibly a little of both. thats why i came here to learn a thing or two so i can do it all myself in the future

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1199
well we are hear to help, did it look like a wire from one terminal was touching the other one? that would do it, or just put the amp in protect.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 36
naah. theres a connection thingy on the box. on the outside. the speaker wire attatches similarly to how it does on the sub. on the inside its like 2 flat pieces of metal and the speaker wire going from the sub has 2 little connectors on the end of it. these connectors fit over the flat piece of metal. buton one of the connectors, the plactic just completely melted, and the little flat piece of metal that the connector fits over like disinegrated at the end and its all black and whatnot

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1201
WOW, for now i would go back to the shop you got it at and say "hey whats up with this?" most shops offer a basic warranty on there installs. if they don't make it right we will get u some new box terminals and what not, of if you wanted to have some fun you can make a new box for your subs for now, that may even give you more output of your current setup.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 37
yeah while im saving up for this new system i think im gunna experiment with some box building.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1202
ask bassman3 for a ~2^3ft box tuned to 32-35hz, you have a the tools to make a box?

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 38
i think im just gunna start off with a basic sealed box. 2.2 cubic feet for both subs?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1203
2.2 if its ported, ~.8^3ft for sealed maybe 1^3ft this is all after displacement of the subs.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 39
i dont think i could fit both subs in a 1^3ft box.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1082
He means 1 cubic foot for each sub.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1209
i am saying airspace after sub displacement, if you look at FI's SSD's 10"s that 10 needs the most airspace sealed up. but again, we can't find a spec sheet for these subs so i am not sure, if you can call and ask them for specs on the subs. and ask for displacement.

Bronze Member

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 40
yeah mobile spec is pretty lame. thats why i want those q's. i called them and got put on hold so i hung up. oh well i think im gunna try them in 1^3ft and see how that sounds. and are box terminals the best way to go for the connections? my friend had a setup where a hole was drilled and the wires were fed through the hole and then sealed with something
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us