The old age question: 10 inch vs 12 inch Subwoofers Intelligent Responce Please :-)

Silver Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 143
Ok, Yes, I'm asking this.
Does anyone know for sure (for sure as in, technically specific) what the exact differences are sound wise between a 10 and a 12 inch subwoofer that is exactly the same model/brand?

To my knowledge, the 10 is supposed to hit faster, better for rock, etc, but what I'm worried about is the low end.

Will the 10 represent the low notes just as well as a 12 inch? They both say they go to 18hz in the specification charts. I LOVE representing really low notes, the ones that you can really feel - that actually distort your voice when your talking, mm yah :D

I'm referring to Infinity Kappa Perfect DVQ's

Thanks for any responses.

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 251
10"s are more responsive, but if you like them ground tremblin' lows, go with somethin' big like an 18".

Bronze Member
Username: Imperial_designs

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 46
bullshit, that has nothing to do with SQ. it has to do with the specific aligment and the specific woofer.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

SubBassMidBass

Post Number: 8910
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

ok here we go...

line
by
line.:-)

The differences in sound will be that one procudes a slighty "deeper" tone than the smaller sub, b.c it has more cone area, and thus more "sound" resonating off the cone.

IF the sub is built RIGHT, there shouldnt be a noticeable difference in "SQ" between the 10 and 12. again...the louder deeper bass, but no difference in sound, and you won't be able to tell any difference in "quickness" from a few more grams of moving mass on the larger cone.

If you want authoritative low notes, don't but 10's. The larger the cone, the louder it can play the lower frequencies. so go for larger subwoofers.

For authoritative low notes....don't get an Infinity anything. lol

Look a Fi Car Audio Q, Stereo Integrity Magnum, Crystal CompX2, SoundSplinter RL-p, writer's block.....lol

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9887
i agree with muddy - the most difference u will hear is more deepness in bass notes but more or less either will have same tone or SQ .......

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 3960
yepp X2 !
a good 18" sq sub like a SSI 18 will sound just as good as a 10 or 12" sub.... and still have very aggressive bass.. that hurts!
}

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7299
i like aggressive bass that hurts. its the best.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 683
"a good 18" sq sub like a SSI 18 will sound just as good as a 10 or 12" sub"
Upload
Low notes this low notes that, yes they are needed, but how will your great 18" sub blend in with, say, 6's? How will an 18 play into 100hz, 120hz, even 200hz (since you don't cross over with a 48db slope LOL)
I never go above 12".
10 vs 12 = small difference
10 vs 18 = why would you want an 18???
All respect to 18" lovers and all SPL guys on the forum, but to me SPL is:
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1739
Ok.. now to add something.. lets say you had the same model subs.. 1 10 and 1 12.. now but the 10 has a lower Fs than the 12.. the 12 have the cone area advantage but the 10 has the lower Fs.. all in all how equal would it be for the lows or would the 12 still have the advantage..

heres an example..

Fi Q

10 - Fs - 26.2hz
12 - Fs - 27.1hz

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 685
Yes,12 would still have the advantage on lower notes.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2093
How well it sounds depends on the manufacture and its linear excursion limits. Most good manufactures use different motors per base size of sub meaning the motor will be larger as the subs ize goes up. I have seen manufactures use the same motors for the 15's/18's and for the 10's/12's. This makes a small but noticeable difference due to moving mass under the same amount of BL. With this mentioned it will effect transient responce and sound a little muddier than the smaller unit. Now with the motor part covered the linear excursion will play a big part also, even with a larger motor compensating for the moving mass you have to remember the power limitation is set, take an SSI for example it is limited to 750rms +/- 1000rms :-) The amount of available input power effects BL also, this in turns sets the amount of motor control regardless of the size of the sub. Now it all breaks down to the SUSPENSION, yep the suspension will have a huge role in how fast the cone recovers from its travel and because the larger the sub the larger the excursion limit the 18 will not recover as fast and that will effect its sound quality when compared to the smaller ones. I like the compromise of a 15 but in the business like in drag racing there is no substitute for cubic inches... :-O Polo..

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 3961
Polo thanks for ANSWERING Maris b4 I read this... lol

all MANUFACTURES are different in the motor designs! PERIOD! MOST manufaturers use a 15" motor on their 18".... MOST companies do this to cut cost and expense!

If u have a SQ motor designed specifically for a 18" lets say.. (not a 15" motor to cut cost) then your 18" will sound good and blend good and still hurt!!

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 2938
muddy...y dont ya throw AA in there?

Silver Member
Username: Palanza

Post Number: 144
Ah, awsome. Thanks for the help everyone. Basically I can get a set of those 12VQ infinities for around 350shipped - and with my 611a 600watt infinity amp, its a good combo. I dont know much about those other brands, and my enclosure is for 2 12's so I'll prolly stick with my infinities. Thanks though guys.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

SubBassMidBass

Post Number: 8915
Bawlin!!!!