Should I Upgrade My Battery or ALT?

Silver Member
Username: Avirex64

Vallejo, CA United States

Post Number: 117
I have 2 15'' mtx 8500's right now with a hifonics amp, but I just ordered 2 15'' Q's with an exile amp(rms 2400). Should I upgrade my ALT or Battery? If so should I get a red top or yellow top?

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

AQ HD3!!, CA United States

Post Number: 693
BOTH! I would go with an alternator first, 220-240alt from Iraggi should do you good. As for battery, look into kinetik/odyssey/optima. And make sure to do a big 3.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
how much will an alternator cost me? where can i get one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
red or yellow top?

Silver Member

Post Number: 697
It depends, I like the red top for under the hood, it recharges faster. So mainly, if your only going to get one battery to replace the one under your hood, then get a red top. Alternator will cost you about 400-500. I know its a bish but if you want warranty, it'll cost you maximum of 500. Also depends on what kind of car you got.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
I got a 01 buick century. some people are tellin me to put a battery in the back too, what is the point of that? should I?

Silver Member

Post Number: 698
http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics

I would contact him, tell him your year,make,model and see what he can do. A 220alt cost about 340 so your looking at about 465 with shipping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
is this a good battery?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT &viewitem=%26item%3D120046889554%26%26

Silver Member

Post Number: 699
its all up to you mang, if you get 1 good battery like a kinetik 2400 or a odyssey 2150S, those batteries are like "TWO" optima yellow tops. So you don't need a battery in the trunk if you just get one good battery (Kinetik 2400/odyssey 2150S)

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
oh ok cooh. so get a 220 amp or 240? and wit one of these batterys ill be good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 700
I take into account what some people do, like Steve Meade. He's running 4k of power in a Navigator with 1 odyssey 2150S and a 260alt. Your running 2500rms of power so I would think that a Red top and a 220alt would be fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 701
But you should be fine though. Chad Lee runs 5k of power with a 260alt and two batts. You should be fine with 220alt and a red top. Your voltage will probaly drop a few, but not below 13.7 and stuff. It should stay near 14V's

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
ok cooh. rite on for the info berny. where u stay in cali?

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
Yeah In Cali. You live about 30-50 mins away from me I think. Maybe closer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
where can i get them batterys from? i looked on ebay but there aint none on there

Silver Member

Post Number: 703
I live near the Inland Empire. Exact location, I do not tell, especially with the equipment I run. Don't want to take any risk's if you know what I mean. But when you get that thing hooked up, we should meet, I want to hear those Fi Q's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
oh ok u close then. what city

Silver Member

Post Number: 704
www.performancecenter.com

You might find them cheaper elsewhere. But this is one place I know that sells them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
oh ok i got u :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
yes we could do that. U no how to make boxes? I still needed make a box for em

Silver Member

Post Number: 706
I live in Rialto, if your familiar with that city. Its small. Or Rancho Cucamonga, around those areas. If you don't know that city, Ontario.

Silver Member

Post Number: 707
Hmmm, I made my own box. We can make a box, I got enough tools to make a box, if your willing to come down we can make your box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
oh ur in so cal. im in nor cal by san francisco

Silver Member

Post Number: 708
lmao. yeah I don't really know where Vallejo was, I thought it was on the 15 going towards las vegas and what not. Didn't really know where. Theres a thread in here, a guy who builds box's to raise some money. He's made a couple of box's for people. Should hit him up if you need a box. But if you got the tools and what not, we can guide you into making your own box.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/281222.html

Looks at that, and that's my first time ever making a box. Pretty good IMO. Plan to do more to it today after work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
have u heard of Exile? its made by pheonix gold

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
dammmm how much power u got hooked to those subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 709
did you get the x2400.1 because I just did a little research on it. It got a good review on CA forums, the guy said he benched it and said it did about 2450rms at 14.4volts. But amps vary yours might do more, might just do 2400. But nice amp if its the x2400.1.

Silver Member

Post Number: 710
Their going to get 2500rms a piece, 3000rms max. Not sure how much the amp will really push out so I'm saying 2500-3000.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
yup just got it today. Now i just need my 2 15's. Do you think that will over power the Q's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
dam they should be poundin

Silver Member

Post Number: 711
Truthfully, I don't know. But if they are, just turn the gain down and turn down the subwoofer level on your headunit. Thats what I would do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
oh ok, yea I dont really know to much about setting the amps, I usually jus pay someone to do it for me, so set the gain all the way down? Whats the LPF and HPF for? Where should those be set?

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
I meant LPF and Subsonic, not HPF

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
LPF for subwoofers, HPF for door speakers (coxials/components). And set your subwoofers at 80hz for LP Frequency. Gain should match your HU, and then theres other stuff, I don't really understand either, but when time comes. Come and ask us, well help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
If your going Sealed, ctmike said you dont need the subsonic. But if you go ported, set your subsonic below or near the amount you tuned your box to. You know about box tuning right? My box is tuned to 40hz, so that means I should put my subsonic at 35-40hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
nah I dont really no about anything, I just no how to plug in the wires and turn it on. haha I usually just pay someone to do all my stuff. But yea Im goin with a ported box

Silver Member

Post Number: 716
We'll I was the same way. Can't blame you. I had old system (2 type Rs 1 hifonics bx1500D) and I just learned how to set my amp TODAY!!! hahaha. Thanks to ctmike, now my subs sound cleaner and more crisp. Feels good to learn something new. But, you should build your own box. If you have a drill, screws, glue, thats all you kind of need. Home depot will cut the wood and we at ecoustics will give you and help you with the dimensions for the box. Then once thats done we can help you tune your system, a little. I'm not to good myself but I try my best. Do it yourself, its more fun and you learn. If your going to pay someone, atleast ask them what their doing so you know whats up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
On the other hand, you just spend a good chunk of $$$ on subs and amps. If your really affraid, then let a pro do it. I decided to keep my money and learn. And I'm enjoying it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Yea I wanna start doin all my stuff myself its jus that I dont have anyone to teach me. But thats were all you guys come in, bassman gave me dimensions for a ported box already. I kinda jus need some help on where to start. Im gonna hit up home depot tomorrow or tuesday for sure

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
yea tha subs and amp kinda broke me. but yea I wanna do it myself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
oh fasho then. Thats coo. They main thing I worry about is "power wire" don't want to mess that part up. And disconnect your negative battery wire when your installing your amp and what not. Thats my main worries. Things that are a pain in the @zz is running wires into my doors and or messing with my doors. Hit us up when your start, I mean, look at my box and I don't know jact sh!t on how to build. Thanks to my ecoustics peoples though =).

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
oh ok, see i learned somehtin new already. rite on for all the help though berny. Yea make sure u put up some pics when ur box is done

Silver Member

Post Number: 719
No doubt, yeah, its what I learned from coming here also. Just passing it down to you, bc I almost burned my car down once! Leaving the power wire dangling like a moron, whew lucky though. If anything, worry about your power wire the most. I mean anything else like blowing your subs or amp, but burning your car down! you definitely dont want that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 720
have you learned about the big 3 upgrade yet? I have a link about it if you want.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
damm thats weak. yea ill remember that. Yea I heard about it but I still dont really know what it is, yea let me get the link

Silver Member

Post Number: 721
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152355

Its a good read. Definitely do this, its cheap! And use 0 gauge. But you see. Pictures so its understandable also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
ok cooh, thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 722
no problem, any time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums