Protect light on amplifier

Username: Jwillhill

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
I have a Lightning Audio LA1.150.2 amplifier.
I have connected it to the battery with the fuse 6in from the positive, using an amplifier installation kit for the power. I have connected the negative and grounded the battery to the car chasis. I have connected the REM from the deck to the amp. I have then grounded the amplifier to the chasis in the trunk. I have run the RCA cables from the deck to the amp.
However, I still get the red light 'protect' flashing, rather than green power.
Where should I begin trouble shooting this. Does the protect light indicate a bad ground? The Lightning Audio website and manual has nothing about the protect light.
Thanks,
J

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Still online, looking for dialogue.

Bronze Member
Username: Van_man

Post Number: 24
Is the car running, You may not have enough power going to it if the car is not running.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
is the amp case grounded?

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
I believe the amp is grounded. I've grounded the battery and the amp to two separate locations on the car. I'm going to go check the running part and start the car. Won't take long will be back online in 5 mins.
J

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
Started the vehicle, still get the protect light. Is this most commonly a bad ground?

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 838
yea. are you running any subs? or do you just have the amp installed?

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 5
This car is a 94 honda civic. No rear speakers installed by the factory.
There is a Sony CDX-F5000 deck. The deck is connect through its amp to the front speakers that are kenwood 5.1/4 can't remember the exact name. I have installed rear speaker components, tweet and mid with a passive cross over, Utlimate speakers. The amp only powers on when the ignition is on, so I believe the REM (12 volt power supply) is hooked up correctly. The amp powers on but flashes and the red protect light flahses. I've got the battery grounded to the frame and I've got the amp itself grounded in the trunk. I'm guessing right now that maybe the grounds just aren't good enough. I'm running RCA cables from the deck to the amp. I've also checked the fuses at the battery (6in from the positive) and the amp itself. Right now I'm going to check ground again, but any suggestions on how to trouble shoot the problem would be great.
Thanks to you who are giving advice.
Cheers,

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 6
Any comments on trouble shooting?

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 7
I've only got to check the grounds left. If anyone has anohter other comments, I'd appreciate them. If anyone knows the optons to 'protect' I'd be happy to know what it could mean. If anyone has a check forpower/groudn I'd use it. This is really frustraiting, I've done 3 now, this is 4 for friends and I've never been so stumped.

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 8
Check list.
If anyone has a quick check list pleae post it. For those who have given advice, thank you.
I love BBS, can't ask for anything better then someone doing it for you.
Cheers

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 9
Gotta sleep, will check at work. EST.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Try removing it, hook it up to the battery directly, see if the light stays on...

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 106
Make sure the actual amp isnt touching the chassis of your car.

Unhook the subs/speakers is hooked to and see if it will come one correct, if it does, then the protect is coming on b/c you running an impedance below where the amp is stable.

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 10
I'll give these ideas a shot. Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll have to check on Saturday.
Cheers,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Did you put the meter to it? You want ~12 volt in on power, ~5 on rem, Good continuity on the ground. Also no continuity from grond to case of amp. Also check voltage on speaker out put and rca inputs. Again, there should not be continuity between ground, RCAs, Speaker outputs, and amp case.

Bronze Member

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 11
Thanks for all the help guys.
I took the dremel out to the ground connection and resoldered today. The power light came on after about 5 seconds with the car turned on. I guess you can't stress enough the cleanliness of the ground connection.
Found out the RCA output from the Sony CDX-F5000 is for subs. I'll have to run the hi level inputs tomorrow to hook up the component speakers properly.
Cheers,

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 468
check how your speakers are connected, check cables and ground

Bronze Member

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 12
May as well keep my problem post going.
I have the amp working, thanks y'all.
I had to hook up, what I believe, to be the hi-level inputs into the amp, since the RCA outputs from the Sony deck are only low frequency for subs.
I'm getting engine noise with the RPM's. I'm getting a clicking when the break is depressed. I'm also hearing the blinker through the tweeters when turning. Outside of not using my blinkers anymore, which would be joining the masses, what type of changes could I make? All of these interference noises aren't noticeable when the stereo is loud, only when played at a comfortable level.
I'm thinking that I should find the high level outputs from the deck and run wire directly through the interior of the car to the amp rather than the factory installed wire (which runs wherever).
Any suggestions?
Cheers,

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 63
A quick $15.00 fix is a RCA ground loop device. just plug it inline with the rcas near the amp. But this is most likly caused by some bad ground some where.where is the head unit grounded? try moving that to a good ground, not near the fuse panel. also make sure the head unit case is grounded well. again try to keep away from the fuse panel. Idealy, run a #10 or #8 from Negitive of battery to the Head units two grounds. also check the amps ground.