Down fireing sub

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 135
in a ext cab pickup would it be better to up or down fire or stright into the seats

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1312
i remember someone mentioning that downfiring in a ext cab sounds very nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 86
That is what we are doing with my Ext Cab. Two RESX15" downfire. I've always found it best to aim the sub toward the most sound part of the vehicle. The floor normally wins in that case. I've got no seats in this case, but anyway. What are you thinking of running? I know you can fit two 12" Alpine Type Rs under a chevy ext cab.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 342
i thought that in a previous post somebody said firing the subs towards the rear of the vehicle produces the best sound? https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/181285.html that has a few different opinions.. but your truck is going to be different than everyone elses. mess around with a few different places before you mount it in permanently. experimentation will be your best bet.

Silver Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 137
ive got a jumper seat but im going to be running 2 12" alpine swx its for a gmc sonoma

Silver Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 138
Kevin got any pix of your setup

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 408
usually w/ trucks and SUV's you would have the subs firing downward it works really well and is quite common. if you want to you could try different positions. it would be better to have the subs either firing downward or upward. in a truck you do not want the subs facing the back of the seats it will not sound as good as the other ways i mentioned.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 347
if your box isnt made for downfiring, but you want to downfire the sub anyways, would you just set the edges of the box up on some wood blocks or something that would prop it up enough so that the sub wouldnt be damaged by hitting the floor?

Bronze Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 88
You could do that I suppose but wouldn't recommend it very much. Far as pics for my setup goes, It is a work in progress. I don't exactly have enough money to finish it yet but I should have pics of the box and subs towards the end of this month. Itll be two RESX15s in about 3.5cuft per chamber tuned and ported to prolly 32hz. Going to tube the box on the top so the air will compress more and in the empty space that creates in the top of the box I'm putting two RE8"s for midrange. Going to run some Kappa Perfects for the other components. Undecided on the amps yet but most likely I'll end up with two Kicker 1200.1s and then a Kicker 350.1 x 4 for the components. It is all pretty costly not counting the new Alt and two optima yellow tops, wiring, sound deader, ect. I've got a smaller check this 2 weeks plus with Christmas and all, $2,800 will go quick. Back to the question at hand, if you are going to prop up the box just don't set the blocks there, secure them to the box. As long as the subs have enough room for the excursion without hitting the floor you'll be alright.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us