Xxx or brahma

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 67
what is the difference between these two subs?they look pretty much the same and their specs seems to be similar too.So which one should i get?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 246
you can't get a xxx right now.you have to either find someone with a used one, or wait for the new xxx to come out

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1685
think of it this way:

the brahma is a sub w/ great SQ that can get loud. the (old)xxx is a loud sub that sounds great.

the (old)XXX can take a lil more abuse. both have XBL^2 enabled motors and are amazing sub. (the xxx's motor is a lil bigger than the brahma's)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1718
the old xxx has the same adire xbl2 motor typology as the brahma. it handles more power, and although it is still a great sq sub, it is catered more toward output than is the brahma. the brahma is just the inverse. that is, it has an edge in sq, but sacrafices the output. but it still gets loud, just like the xxx still has great sq. very comparable subs.
the new brahma is going to be the same beans, but even better in its better grade glue, lighter cone, and lower inductance.
the new xxx is a whole different bag of beans. 1st, it no longer utilizes xbl2. so while something tells me that it will have good sq, i doubt it will be as good as the previous model (i'd be shocked otherwise). and even this sq will be at the expense of size and cost. these were the primary benefits of xbl2-low cost and extreme linearity (great sq at all levels). so, again, i don't personally think the xxx will have equal sq to the previous model, but the output should be significantly greater because of the hightened xmax.
but opbviously this is all just speculation on my part as the driver isn't due until january, and i'm not quite as privy to RE's affairs as i am adire's. oh, i love my brahmas.

http://www.easy-audio.com/products/caudio/drivers/brahma.htm
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

and here is a explanation of the differences between the brahma, new xxx, and the new sound splinter rl-s typologies.
http://forum.carstereos.org/showthread.php?t=56398

Gold Member

Post Number: 1719
woops. marshall beat me to it (as usual, lol).

Bronze Member
Username: Chevy4life

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 18
how much do the old xxx run for and how much r the new ones gona cost? And your saying that the brahma's are better than the new xxx?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 248
you cant really say if their better than the new xxx becuase it isnt out yet. the old ones used to run for about $360 if im not mistaken...

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 443
yeah the have an old one(XXX), it's a 15" and i believe it was about 429 shipped.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1721
"And your saying that the brahma's are better than the new xxx?"

the old xxx employed the xbl2 technology from adire. so, both drivers had exceptional sq. now, the xxx have opted to drop the brahma's motor design and go with split coil technology instead. it's a different typolgy all together.
http://forum.carstereos.org/showthread.php?t=56398
so my prediction is that the new xxx won't be as linear as the previous model, but like i said "obviously, this is all just speculation on my part as the [xxx] driver isn't due out until january, and i'm not quite as privy to RE's affairs as i am adire's."
i hope it will be. after all the w7 is a high excursion sub, and it is in no way affiliated with xbl2. but the brahma and older xxx still sound considerably better, imo. apparent bias aside, of course:-).

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 565
an old xxx 12 shipped to my house from RE was 405 but i bought a used one of ebay for 357 shipped.
oh yeah and i bottomed it out today on accident, i didnt think that a planet audio 1250 (temporary) would do that while the sub was in a 28 hz box. oops

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4998
I'd say that the new XXX will be as linear as XBL^2, just not with the benefits offered by XBL^2, namely low inductance and low moving mass, and low cost.

Some people like the sound of an XBL^2 motor, some don't. XBL^2 drivers and drivers with a flat BL curve in general, tend to be more mellow and dry sounding. Dan has an Extremis 4" in the works as is, extends from around 50hz to 20khz ported, I've heard good things. A little more extreme than the CSS mid, I bet it'd make a killer speaker to have by your computer or something like that, though.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1694
i loved the mellow realistic sound of my brahma 10"...i kinda miss it.

oh well...on to bigger and louder things, lol

hhhhhhhhhh
Unregistered guest
hey , I need to know which is better (2)m3 memphis 12"'s or (2) Kicker solo baric l7 connected to mtx 6004 amp. And if that amp wont run them what will?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2035
like it has been said, both great subs. but it also depends how much power you have to give them. the brahma is more effienct so it needs less power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1730
"i'd say that the new XXX will be as linear as XBL^2, just not with the benefits offered by XBL^2, namely low inductance and low moving mass.."

hey jon, doesn't this basically suggest that the brahma is going to be more responsive in its ability to react to transients, though? and what of the distortion inherent to the xxx's flux modulation (a result of the huge vc/high inductance)?
and then, after further reviewing the SC design, i would imagine that there are going to be multiple "duds" because of the accuracy required in winding the coils "to spec". so although me and bubba have the same xxx, his might sound better than mine because of the greater accuracy of his windings. unless the testing for these tolerances is the reason for the huge delay. still seems like a touchy design. even if its perfect off the prod line.
is this about right, or do you think there are ways for re to compensate?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5004
I can't really say, haven't seen the design or the product to tell. A split coil design should (assuming good build quality) produce a similar curve to XBL^2. Adire and RE use the same build house (Destijl) for the XXX and Brahma, I don't know if this will change or not. XBL^2 is definately easier to implement.

I wouldn't really say the Brahmas lower inductance would be all that much better for transients, traditionally the upper end response of the subs tend to be on the muddy side regardless of the low inductance. That showed itself even with the last XXX and Brahma, both were pretty much equally muddy above 60hz or so, and the XXX had the longer coil and the higher inductance. IMO it was more a function of resonance of the heavy paper cones they were using.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1737
"IMO it was more a function of resonance of the heavy paper cones they were using."

yeah, they apparently are now using a lighter material and a different profile.
hopefully to comp for the response up high, like you said. they are also utilizing an "aluminum/Kapton/spun lace laminated former." my guess is that means it's lighter, lol.

"XBL^2 drivers and drivers with a flat BL curve in general, tend to be more mellow and dry sounding."

well done. not sure i could have described it any more accurately. although i don't get that from the w7 at all. in fact, it's a bit more on the more popular side, as far as its reproduction. "boomy", that is.

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 68
so now im really confused:-)-re is coming-up with new models,how about adire?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1740
yop

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/179572.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us