Help me pick a good sub setup

Username: Bizz

Post Number: 1
I have a 1995 civic hatchback. I planned on buying stuff through ebay. I haven't been into car audio for several years so I have no idea what's good and whats not.

My plan so far was to buy a kicker solo-baric or two (the square subs) in the ported enclosure and put as much power as i can with a cheap amp like a profile or something similar from crutchfield. Does this sound good?

I'm looking to spend about $500 on this if possible. I like bass a lot... the lower the better. I want it to rumble really low and HARD. i have high expectations sitting here preparing to make these purchases and I want this lil hatchback to sound vicious. Can you guys recommend something around $500 that will set off car alarms if desired?

If $500 isn't enough to do this, then what do you recommend for a cheaper setup that will get close to banging like I want.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2048
u can get 2 12s Alpine type R & a cheap amp around that price .

name a MAX budget & the guys will help u out ......

Post Number: 2
ok MAX $600. lol. I dont wanna spend more than that. I need cables and everything too. I'm checking out these type R's now. Looks like 2 on ebay for $250 buy it now. what about a specific amp?

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 146
get one 15inch kicker L7 and a kicker kx1200.1. make sure you get the 2ohm dvc though.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 147
also make 6 cuft slot port enclosure and you'll get your lows

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2049
Could get those R possibly cheaper on ebay .

look for a good amp by either Rockford Fosgate ,PPi ,Kicker , Orion that does around 1000/1200wrms @ 1ohm

buy 4ohms DVC Rs ........

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 149
rovin, you know the subs i bought? well for some reason the item was removed by ebay. i don't know what to do. i called paypal and they told me i couldn't cancel the payment. it was removed after i made a payment. i emailed the seller and no reply. damn.

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 157
is that a scam I smell...

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 150
i think so. sh!t these damn ebay people.

Post Number: 3
yeah i'm gonna go with the 15"..

what is "2 ohm dvc" is that the type of amp? and what is "6 cuft slot port enclosure"... as you can tell i don't know a lot about this stuff.

Post Number: 4
ok where exactly can i get the right enclosure and what kind specifically?

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 160
the kicker 15in L7's come in 4ohm or 2ohm. i said get the 2ohm sub cause you can parallel connect the 2ohm sub to give you a 1ohm load. kicker kx1200.1 is 1200wrms at 1 ohm.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 161
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/caraudio.asp
this link will explain much better than i can.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2056
Chad -

oh crap man , did u really get ripped off ???

i'm really hoping u didn't cause if were me i'd be so Upload ....follow up on it & pray for the best ...

Post Number: 5
good looking out. the link helps and the setup sounds good. i'm gonna go with you on this.. but what about a box? i see these boxes on ebay (onix vented 15" for L7).. will this type of box be sufficient?

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 162
i would buid my own box. here are couple of links to help you out figuring out the ports and dimensions.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 163
rovin...i'm not sure yet. tomorrow the paypal transaction clears and i gotta now see if he is going to deliver the subs. he stills has stuff selling on ebay at the moment. i don't know why the item got removed. i emailed the seller today and i am just hoping for the best. i do wish he would just return the money to me though, cus i want to get a 15 inch L7 for my kx1200.1. two subs take up way too much space so i can't have big cu ft enclosure but with one sub i can have a large box for it.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2057
i'm sure u read all over this forum that ppl hate square subs from kicker - so Y ?

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 165
heard it in my friends car and it sounds loud and low. not yet decided fully.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2059
talk 2 u 2morrow - i'm off 2...Upload.........

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 68
from experience I don't recommend the Kicker square subs. I had a black style L7 in the 6 cube ported enclosure and it just didn't have the guts it should've, but it sounded like crap (like most of the square solo's do). I took that sub out after about a week of hoping I could dial it in to be bone crushing and replaced it with the 2 Hollywood eXcursion 1580D's I took out and was back to sounding good again (the 1580's were also substantially louder).

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 69
If you're online man here's a steal on 2 extremely high quality 15in subwoofers you won't regret owning, they're Polk MOMO's
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-pair-Polk-Audio-MM2154DVC-15-Subwoofers-NIB_W0QQitemZ58243 71091QQcategoryZ18804QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 291
Whats will all of the recommendations for the L7, they get loud, but they sound like krap in the process. They also have poor build quality, high failure rate, and more stress on the sub because of the square design.

Post Number: 6
Can I fit both of these in my 95 civic hatchback?? I'm not going to build my own box, I dont have the knowledge or the time. Can someone guide me to proper boxes? For one 15" and for two 15". I'm tempted to buy these Momo's now, but I need more info.

Thanks for the headz up on this and the squares having a bad rep.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 70
I garuntee you can fit them without any problem, they work in rather small boxes and I've seen people with 2 15's sealed in there hatches before.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 71
an enclosure for them;
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-15-SUBWOOFER-SPEAKER-BOX-CAR-AUDIO-bx-cm15_W0QQitemZ582 4241070QQcategoryZ14945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
the guy with the 15's also has 12in models just check out his store view at upper right

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 72
I've known some of the locals to burn the L7's, and the older models are starting to show wear points in the dips on the cones (they'll turn white and stress crack). Square subs just aren't worth the loss of cone rigidity; the only way they'de be worthwhile is if you're stuffing as many of them as possible into a record setting SPL vehicle.

Post Number: 7
the momo's look great, but i'm pricing the whole thing together and it's getting a bit pricey for me. $270 for subs (inc shipping), adding a amp (i'm still looking at the kicker mentioned above.?), and a box (can i get a box at a store for the same price and avoid the huge shipping cost?)... i'd like to stay under $500 if possible. i'm taking the $600 max back.

i'm gonna slow down, was about to get this stuff now. i just found this forum and am getting into it, so gonna read some more and try to take my time and save a few bucks.

i appreciate the advice for sure. i have a better idea what to look for.. it just seems i need to spend $700 bucks or more which I don't have the balls for at the mo.

if can work a full bass system out, sub(s), amp and box for under $500 i'd appreciate it. whether it's one 15, two 12s, whatever, i just want it to be low and rumble good. if possible i'd like to control level/volume whatever from drivers seat. so basically bang for buck--$500 max. dang, i feel cheap now. is this possible.. will i be satisfied??

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 83
better amp (in my opinion) than Kicker for a dang good price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PHOENIX-GOLD-OCTANE-R-R5-0-1-500-W-MONO-AMP-5-0-1_W0QQit emZ5825638300QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

VERY decent amp with the remote bass you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KAC-8152D-MONO-AMP-BASS-KNOB-1100-WATTS-NEW_W0QQitem Z5826455101QQcategoryZ79828QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here we have in my opinion the BEST VALUE PERIOD on an extremely high performance 12in subwoofer, read the description, I have bought from Soundmaker9 over 5 times now and not once has anyone been dissapointed
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-Credence-Speakers-12-Subwoofer-CSS12D4_W0QQitemZ5825657 533QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here we have a pair of subs that are a little more basic than the above pair of woofers, but are 15in models:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-Credence-Speakers-15-Subwoofer-CSS154C_W0QQitemZ5825657 185QQcategoryZ18804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The above pair of subwoofers can usually be won for there opening bid, and if you miss them just wait a while and they'll relist them, these are DIRECT from the manufacturer in Kentucky, TRUE MADE IN THE USA! Those subwoofers work in VERY small sealed enclosures, and are very versatile. The 12 listed above has some of the same technology incorperated into its design that the new JL W7 has (the "W cone"). REAL good equipment! Best of all anything here and you'll still be under your $500 budget enough to buy a box, OR get one built bye yourself. I know that sounds intimidating, but if you go to Lowes, Home Depot, or anywhere with MDF and pick out a sheet, then talk to the guy running the wall saw he can make the shapes you want, then you just buy the wood glue and the wood screws, take it home and screw it together, finally draw your subwoofer circles (make sure you don't make too big of a hole and the sub drop through it) and install them. I have people that know nothing about enclosures go and do this all the time, and they're all amazed at how easy it was when they're done... plus you get to say "yeah I built that box and it sounds good doesn't it".

Post Number: 8
wow, thanks for the info man, really.

so can i power two of these credence 12" subs in two seperate sealed boxes with the ONE 300x1 kenwood amp you mentioned? the price on this looks great.

so i'm cutting costs, will sound suffer much? will these shake and rumbble?

should i NOT put these in ported boxes? (i always thought i should have ported boxes for that low rumbble)

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 479
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/172849.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/170772.html

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2066
Some funny/strange brand names being called above

Imo - i'd stick to some of the more mainstream brands like Alpine subs, Kicker amps , RE subs , Diamond audio subs ,Image Dynamics subs , JL lower rms subs , Orion amps ,PPI amps..etc .....

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 483
That creedence doesnt look bad. Qes, Qms, Qts, and Bl look great. One things is that Vas is quite large, so it will require a large box.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 89
Those Credence subwoofers are TANKS, people like old school, and that's NEW old school. When Kicker was around in 98 and 99 Soundstream, and JL were both extremely solid brands, Kicker was up there with them. Those ARE the old Kicker round solo barics, and the old Kicker comps, it doesn't get more mainstream than that. You're saving the cost of marketing and labeling by buying straight from the factory... but it's up to the end purchaser ultimatly, alot of guys won't run Credence because there friends will think it's junk. As for your question James YES you can run a pair of them off of that Kenwood amp, and YES you can run them in a ported enclosure, but if you want to keep it simple and not build your own I'de recommend a decent sized sealed enclosure for them.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 96
As for the recommended amplifiers, those are within the price range, they're not the best you can buy but they're reliability to dollar ratio is good in my opinion. Another amp you may want to look into is an older Rockford mono amp.

Post Number: 9
ok, i'm trying to settle on (2) 12" alpine type r subs, in a sealed q-logic enclosure.

i'm looking at the old rockford amps as mentioned above.. still a bit confused on which one would be best. how many watts are ideal for these two subs.. should i defo get a MONO amp vs. 2channel amp?.. what are a few specific amps that will do the job.. preferably under 200 bucks if possible. i was looking at this Power Acoustik amp with 370x2.. what do you guys think?

Username: Subman15

Lwarenceburg, Kentucky United states

Post Number: 2
I think you should go for a rockford fosgate t1 12" sub. their only like $230 off ebay. thats what I would do.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 181
the only reason i recomended the 15 inch L7 is because you were already talking about getting kicker square subs. i am getting type Rs today because they sound great. yesterday i heard the type Rs in a vented enclosure and damn it sounded good.

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 102
Power Acoustik is junk avoid at all cost!!! The Type R's are decent subs but they're going to run you around 250 minimum for a pair of 12's.

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 103
Older small Fosgate Punch amp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/301M-ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-NEW-PUNCH-MONO-AMP-301M_W0QQitemZ58265 03729QQcategoryZ64572QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Bigger Fosgate Punch amp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/301M-ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-NEW-PUNCH-MONO-AMP-301M_W0QQitemZ58265 03729QQcategoryZ64572QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 104
I don't have any experience with the newer Fosgate amps but these are rated to run @ 1 ohm, you could run 3 or 4 4ohm 10's or 12's off of it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-P3001-300W-MONO-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-NEW_W0QQi temZ5825266437QQcategoryZ64572QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 105
For $245.00 you can get this amplifier shipped to your door, Phoenix Gold is a well respected name, and this amp will put out its rated power into 1 to 4 ohms so you have alot more room to work with what subwoofers you buy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-05-PHOENIX-GOLD-600-1-MONO-CAR-AMP-SUB-AMPLIFIER_W0QQite mZ5826082733QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I still stick by the Credence subwoofers, and for the opening bid (which you'll most likely win) you can get a pair of the CSC10D4's for $55 shipped to your door:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-05-PHOENIX-GOLD-600-1-MONO-CAR-AMP-SUB-AMPLIFIER_W0QQite mZ5826082733QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Or you can go with the CSS12D4's for $120 shipped to your door:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-Credence-Speakers-12-Subwoofer-CSS12D4_W0QQitemZ5825657 533QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
later you can add another set of the same subwoofers and still be under your budget with the CSC10D4's X 4, and only slightly over with the CSS12D4's after you buy enclosures.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us