Xtant vs eclipse amp

Bronze Member
Username: Sinx85

Post Number: 45
hey guys, whats better for infinity kappa componenets xtant or eclipse amp ?
i am after SQL

thankx

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1514
Haven't listened to any Eclipse amps but I am very happy with my Xtants(see profile).

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3079
Either way, you'll be getting a great amp.
I'd say there really close... go for the one you like the best.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4624
Xtant is an Xcellent amp. I spelt it that way on purpose.
To me, Eclipse is below Xtant in amp wise.
If you were comparing Alpine amp with Eclipse, then it's a good match.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1021
No offense, but I disagree with Isaac. Eclipse to me would be right next to Xtant. It'd be specs and price that decided with me...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4625
Are you serious? Show me one Eclipse amp that has the quality and specs of Xtant amp. I'd like to see one. I don't need to know about rms power nor the rating at 14.4v.
I'd like to see slew rate, damping factor, SN Ratio, bandwidth, frequency response, THD, channel separation, type of powersupply, and country of origin.
Eclipse and Alpine are the 2 brands that I couldn't get detailed info on. They just don't like giving them out.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 337
I think Eclipse amps are better than Alpine but not necessarily on the same level as Xtant

Gold Member

Post Number: 1031
Isaac: just email Eclipse for chr1st's sake. I'm not trying to start an argument, j3sus...

They've always given me the information that I wanted...

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1522
Lol, specs... pshaw.

I've owned a few older Soundstreams with 1% THD ratings that were some of the sweetest sounding amps I've ever used, on par with my Xtants.

Man, thanks to the internet hardly anyone uses their ears before buying anymore.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Post Number: 4633
Well listening first is always important, but it's a practice not many people use. This is why Hifonics and Sony are so popular. Everyone looks at the watts.
The detailed info I look for is for different purprose. Some of the music I listen to is high quality and therefore, need certain kind of amps. Zapco Xtant/Orion/PPI (older models) all have the minimum standards that is needed.
Jake, since you value Eclispe amps so much, show me one that is worth investigating. They are good amps just like Alpine, but they are no where near the top.
In the past, I did do some research on Eclipse and Alpine cause they were so "popular." From the results I got, it was nothing special.
Anyhow, it doesn't matter if you value them more than me, that's your opinion.
Like I always said, it makes more interesting forum cause of different opinions/views.

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
THD doesnt even play a factor anymore because below 1% is considered to be inaudible. Most companies can get below 1% so it pretty much doesnt even play a factor when comparing amps. Also the method in which they test THD + noise isnt the same from company to company so you might be comparing apples to oranges. Its almost like comparing one amps RMS rating @ 2ohms vs another tested at 4 ohms. The consumer has to look closely to make comparisons. Like Isaac said, companies like sony have ways of portraying their specs to make them comparable to other brands, thus do well in the market.

Specs arnt everything either, yah gotta open that sh!t up and see whats inside. Look at the components, power supply in particluar. Are they using quality MOSFETS, transformers, rectifiers ect.. what are the tolerances on the resistors and capicitors, etc.. these are the things that effect ALL the specs AND the SOUND QUALITY. Anyone can make their specs look better, but they cant hide the physical equipment. Its like DNA, you can lie about a crime, but if you got the DNA than your busted. It holds all the information and it cant lie.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 442
Since we're on the general topic of amps...I have a question.

I have an Audiobahn A8000T for my two subs. But I don't want an Audiobahn amp for my door speakers. Is there any reason I couldn't get a better amp like say a JBL 4 channel which would still be in my price range, and sound better/deliver more clean power.

Basically what I'm asking, is it ok to mix amp brands for different purposes, or since I have an Audiobahn, should I stick with them...

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
No you can you different amps for different applications. As far as performance that isnt going to effect anything. If you wanted say an all audiobahn system just so you can say i have all audiobahn than thats different. Some peole just like to have all one brand in their car.

I would go for the better amp period, always. Only go lesser quality when your budget calls for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
Well I've been looking, and most amps in my price range that are 4 channel and have 4X100W+ are a little out of my range.

BUT, if I could get, 2 2-channel amps, that put out about 100W+X2, it is cheaper. This is probably due to the whole paying for two amps when you buy a 4 channel bla blah blah.

AND, how do you run more than one amp? Do I need a wiring kit for each? And how does it work as far as the wires, do I then have a power wire for each amp coming from the battery (grand totaling 3 power wires, and 3 grounds) and how do I do the remote wire as well? Just run all three from the back of the HU?

Any reason I can't run a 2 channel for my fronts and a 2 channel for my backs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
you def. can run a 2 channel for the fronts and a 2 channel for the rears.

You would use a distribution block for the power wire. Prolly 2 or 4 AWG from the positive battery terminal to the distro. block. Then three 4 or 8 AWG to the amps. Each amp has its own seperate ground but they should all ground in the same place.

As for the remote...
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#rtol

Bronze Member
Username: Clownass

Post Number: 30
Xtant gets my vote

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
Ok, I think I'll be skipping the whole, "Hey why don't I install these amps myself!" part. The whole distro. block and everything seems like a little too deep into what I feel like doing. Unless it's actually easier than it sounds...But install prices on amps and such aren't too bad around here at $50+materials for a basic sub/amp install.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1033
Installing an amp like that is easy. You just splitting the power from one wire into two...

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1196
"since you value Eclispe amps so much, show me one that is worth investigating. They are good amps just like Alpine, but they are no where near the top."

ALL eclipse amps are top quality, audiphile grade amps. xtant are decent amps as well, but are nothing more than MTX (and Mitek). so if you believe mtx amps are superior to eclipse amps, then i understand a bit more from where your rationality comes.
further, a watt is a watt. one watt is not going to sound any better than another watt. both amps work well within their range, but i would choose eclipse over xtant. i respect the build quality more, as i'm more of a matte aluminum guy over bright and shiny chrome. again, not to down xtant at all. repectable amps indeed. but eclipse would be my choice by a long shot. not to mention the numerous innovation awards they have received and the fact that i'm not familiar with either amp dishing a continuous 2000 watts as does eclipse.
in that respect, xtants have more in common with alpine than do eclipse.
jmo

Gold Member

Post Number: 1197
this is all transient though. b/c as i understand it, eclipse is going the way of crutchfield soon, which typically means mass production (quantity) and not as much detailed production (quality). but for the time being, they remain my personal pick.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
Well can someone recommend a good 4-channel amp for about $200 or so. With about 100W RMS @ 4ohms X 4? I know this seems impossible, but if there's anything like that, I'd like to know. I could go as high as $250.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogn o=CAM1104

That amp, is it any good?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
mikechec9: thank god someone is with me on that... I was beginning to think I was alone, in the dark...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1200
"mikechec9: thank god someone is with me on that... I was beginning to think I was alone, in the dark..."

i like eclipse. i remember looking at the pamphlets as a kid. then i found out the cost. cancelled my dreams kind of quickly, lol.

"Well can someone recommend a good 4-channel amp for about $200 or so. With about 100W RMS @ 4ohms X 4? I know this seems impossible, but if there's anything like that, I'd like to know. I could go as high as $250."

http://edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=amps

good, sturdy amps. great reviews. the company just pissed off one or more people in the past, and have since gotten some bad pub. but from the individuals i know who own them, the amps are terrific and the warranty is for 3years with free shipping. they are underated at 12volts, so will do around/close to a clean 100wx4 at 14v.
i'm going to employ all ed amps in my next install.

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
Thanks Mike, that's a really nice amp, and those prices are amazing for what you get. Beats the pants off buying one of Audiobahns 150W x 4 amps for almost $300, WITHOUT free shipping.

That mono amp looks nice too. That could be a future investment for me...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1203
yeah. me too. just as soon as i can muster up another car, lol.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/mikechec9/ednine.jpg
one sweet looking amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
Who needs bling when your amp looks like it's dressed up in a tux. That's pretty snazzy quality!

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
This puts me in a dilemma though. Right now my A8000T is 2 ohms stable. I want to upgrade this Xmas to the 2005 line of Cerwin Vega Vmax's. So I would be buying 4 ohm SVC. But if I upgrade to an EDNine in the future, it's 1 ohm stable. So I would need to buy 2 ohm SVC in that case...HRMMM! What to do, what to do. Unless, I buy 4 ohm DVC's do as I have been and use on pair of VC terminals on each sub to get my 2 ohms until I get an EDNine...Not the GREATEST idea, but the most economical...I think.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4638
Tyler, just how much of an improvement do you think EDnine amp is over Audiobahn/MTX? I bet you won't know the difference between them in a blind test.
Mikechec9, by your process of logic, PPI/Orion/RF/MB Quart would all fall under the "MTX" quality category right?
Just cause you grew up admiring Eclipse, doesn't mean other brands are sub standard.
Another thing, just cause a company gets bought out by a mass marketer, doesn't make their products instantly inferior.
Orion/PPI used to make one of the best amps before the buyout. To dismiss/judge a brand by it's current owner is stating too much opinion and less fact.
I've noticed that you like to cut and paste bits and pieces from posts/quotes to support your view/theory. That is fine as long as you don't alter the original message. Sometimes, leaving out a small detail can have an opposite effect.
Just to prove that not all Eclipse amps are at the "audiphile grade" level, here's one you can investigate. They made 5 channel amp (4 + sub). It had bad quality history. If you do a search on google, you might even find the model and reviews.
If Xtant is at MTX level, show me one that can perform like Xtant 604x and cost around $200. This amp was on sale last week. Even at $200, no one bought it. Too many people are interested in the "popular" brands. It'll be pretty hard to beat that Xtant amp in performance and in price.
The point of this post is to let people know that, there are some great amps out there on sale for a low price. And to dismiss it based on current owner, is wasting great technology.

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
Isaac, show me that Xtant 4-Channel amp. I want one with good power output/SQ. I just went with what Mike said, as I've heard others say ED is a good brand. I agree though, blind tests are the way to go for just listening for flaws. Reminds me of a test they ran years ago that my Dad told me about. People thought a speaker would sound better because of the color of the GRILL CLOTH! Until they did a blind test, those people chose the color opposite they had originally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4641
If you have the money to spend, then Eclipse/Alpine is a good buy. However, there are deals out there that will give you way more value for your dollars.
Go to eBay and do search on Xtant. Last week, it was on sale for $199 and it ended with no bidder!
For actual reviews by users, you can do google. You'd be surprised by what Mike calls "MTX" quality could sound like.
Xtant 603x is also an excellent amp and can be had for a low price. While you're at it, look for PPI Art series. I still have mine and it sounds better than lot of the new amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Isaac, I completely agree with you as far as Xtant is concerned.

However, i think that most Eclipse amps are a little bit better quality than Alpine amplifiers.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 150
Man When I got here Glass wolf told me that the eclipse amp is clean as hell why wouldnt he had directed me to an alpine amp instead if they were on the same level? man come on dont spread this rumor because fact alpine amps are not better then elcipse if you spread these kind of rumors people are just gonna buy the alpine and get less quality

13.8 volts elcipse does it by
alpine does it by 14.4 volts thats an immidiate diffrence right there!

the thd is on eclipse site and its lower then my old rockford punch
and alot of other questions you asked

if its good its good
just because you see alot of it and want to be diffrent dont mean you should want every body to be the same way

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 780
I totally agree with Isaac on the Xtant issue, totally dissappointing that people don't buy them, because they are WORTH way more than what they are going for.

Mikechec, I thought that we have been over the "watt is a watt" theory. In a power sense, sure a watt is only a watt, but when you are talking about an amplifier, there are so many other specifications that go into it. Like Isaac was saying:

"I'd like to see slew rate, damping factor, SN Ratio, bandwidth, frequency response, THD, channel separation, type of powersupply, and country of origin."

Frequency response I think is important. If you see some output graphs of some amps, you'd be surprised. The lower frequencies are rolled-off, having even a 1db difference. Something to take into consideration.

I am not trying to start an argument, but I just here that theory all the time, and when it comes to amps, I personally don't think it has one ounce of truth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
Thats Two Isaac's I agree with now!

"I'd like to see slew rate, damping factor, SN Ratio, bandwidth, frequency response, THD, channel separation, type of powersupply, and country of origin."

SN Ratio and THD arnt as important bc even cheap amps have acceptable levels.

However Freq response, Damping factor and DEF the POWER SUPPLY play huge roles in a quality amp.

I think Xtant makes great amps and they can be had for beautiful prices on ebay. (I saw one go very cheaply as well on ebay about one month ago).

However, I still think Eclipse is being down played a bit. Just bc something goes mainstream doesnt always mean its quality is sacraficed. More times than not its the truth, but in the case of Eclipse I dont believe it to be the case.

Glass and others around here have said Eclipse is up there with the best (not the best of the best but one of the lower end of the Best spectrum.)

Also the Good bad and ugly puts it in the Great category with JL Zapco and ...Xtant.

Im not arguing that Eclipse is better, i dont know enough about either to make that accusation. However I do think Eclipse holds its own and is a well built quality amp.

I think Eclipse is more along the lines of Xtant than that of Alpine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1204
"Mikechec9, by your process of logic, PPI/Orion/RF/MB Quart would all fall under the "MTX" quality category right?"
well, first off what i suggest is that you get out of your parents' garage from time to time and get into the trenches, sir. the fact that i have admired the company has nothing to do with the build quality of the amps. your comparing them to alpine is like comparing a mustang to a camaro. what are you talking about?
i have cohorts who run both xtant and eclipse. they have had problems out of neither. so upon what basis are YOU stating that one is superior to the other. the fact that one reminds you of an alpine?!

"just cause a company gets bought out by a mass marketer, doesn't make their products instantly inferior.
Orion/PPI used to make one of the best amps before the buyout."

just how confused are you? either buying a company out doesn't make a difference or it does. yes, i loved ppi and orion ten years ago. not now. xtant was bought out. who bought out eclipse? what's YOUR point (or do you have one?)

"If Xtant is at MTX level, show me one that can perform like Xtant 604x and cost around $200." a lexus is a toyota and a acura is a honda. in japan its the same sandwich, the other is for americans who just love luxury titles. unless you are an audiophile (which is a moot point in your case) i doubt you will notice the difference between mtx and xtant. eclipse, however, did not have a lower rung until this year. again, i don't dislike mtx or xtant. just like a like honda and acura. in fact i think mtx makes pretty sturdy amps for the price you pay.

further, i have stated that a watt is a watt within the amp's limits multiple times. once you start exceeding those limits is when you will have problems. certain members here need to get their arguments straight.
bench the xtant and the eclipse and that is the difference you are likely to notice. but listen/compare them and you are likely not to notice a difference at all.
again (and again, and again), within the limitations of the amp a watt is a watt. you will never see me with a jensen amp for multiple reasons, but within its range, you won't tell the difference. particularly traveling 75 mph.

Perhaps the point of my response was misinterpreted, although i'm almost certain that someonne just felt a bit sheepish and threatened. eclipse is a better amp than xtant, imo. i've suppported my opinion with details so as to distinguish it from the butt hole others on tis thread seem to keep presenting.

so add this one right along with "larger subs won't move as fast as smaller subs" and the favorite "an MT has better sq than a w7". and as far as "I've noticed that you like to cut and paste bits and pieces from posts/quotes to support your view/theory." it was my post, lol. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/166566.html

"man come on dont spread this rumor because fact alpine amps are not better then elcipse if you spread these kind of rumors people are just gonna buy the alpine and get less quality"
yes, eclipse is a better built amp.
and thank goodness for real audiophiles lil jon. nothing wrong with others wanting to be, so long as they don't get confused along the way eh?

*next?*

Silver Member

Post Number: 478
Alpines are kind of pricey too, for all the better the quality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4642
You sound like one of those that love listening to themselves in recording.
Now are you done with your little exaggerations?
First off, I said Eclipse and Alpine were overrated in their amps. They both make excellent HUs, but the amps aren't top of the line.
Since you want to compare cars with amps (out of topic), I can do the same. Let's say, I'll write slowly so you won't miss it. Company A gets bought by Company B. Company A's products used to be A quality and Company B, B stock quality.
Until company B takes over the business and factories, company A's products will use the SAME parts and built to same spec. Over time, it'll change. Even after that, it doesn't make all the products made prior to the take over, inferior.
I gave you an example of Eclipse's inferior product, and yet you ignored it completely.
You seem to assume, just cause a company makes good quality products, that everything they make is made of gold.
Really, how does that help an average Joe wanting to maximize his/her investment with a small budget?
Your solution to all problem is Eclipse, I on the other hand, did suggest Xtant 604x cause it was being sold for $199, very good deal. It went unsold, probably cause of people listening to your "opinions."
"i loved ppi and Orion ten years ago. not now"
If everyone listened to your advice/opinion, no one would've bought Orion HCCA/SX/PPI art series/PC on sale now.
You always seem to be a little slow or off on getting the message. It doesn't matter if you don't like Orion/PPI now. To dismiss all of their products based on your narrow view is a terrible action. As I said many times, that helps no one but your ego and Eclipse.

"xtant was bought out. who bought out eclipse? what's YOUR point (or do you have one?)"
Did I tell you that Eclipse was bought out? Why are you putting words in my mouth, in this case keyboard? Serves no purpose at all. And you're asking me what my point is?

"lexus is a toyota and a acura is a honda"
Here you go again comparing apples and oranges. Xtant was not a "Lexus" version of MTX. If I were to elaborate on this logic, to you, if GM bought BMW, it would make BMW, a "lexus" version of GM? Don't know what you're trying to prove there, but something's going off topic.

"i doubt you will notice the difference between mtx and xtant"
Care to put some money on it?

"bench the xtant and the eclipse and that is the difference you are likely to notice. but listen/compare them and you are likely not to notice a difference at all."
Isn't it funny, after all your insults/narrow point of view, you finally get my message. Amen.

"you will never see me with a jensen amp for multiple reasons, but within its range, you won't tell the difference. particularly traveling 75 mph"
I beg to differ. You roll up your window in a "lexus" car and listen. If you can't tell a difference between Jensen and Xtant/JL/Zapco/Eclipse, then you are either deaf or tone challenged.

"Perhaps the point of my response was misinterpreted, although i'm almost certain that someonne just felt a bit sheepish and threatened. eclipse is a better amp than xtant, imo"
That's just it, it's your opinion. And mine is to educate people that they don't need to spend hard earned dollars on a product just cause it has "brand A" name on it.

Here goes your insults again. "so add this one right along with "larger subs won't move as fast as smaller subs"
As usual, (you forgot to mention the WHOLE store) that when comparing 10" sub with 15" 2500w rms sub, at lower volume, 10" will respond much faster and more accurately. Doesn't it sound different now? You really need to stop doing that. All it creates is friction and helps no one.

I guess this is your best punch?
"and the favorite "an MT has better sq than a w7".
Why is it that everyone else got the message except you? Why do you insist on not mentioning that W7 sounded great a lower power level, but after 1200w, MT sounded better cause it still had lot of headroom and W7 was at it's limit and almost bottoming out with every beat.

Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish by doing that? Has this argument of yours, helped anyone with a $200 budget?

"yes, eclipse is a better built amp." You keep telling yourself that over and over in your sleep.

Here's something for you. Zapco makes one of the best quality amps. However, their iForce isn't up to par with their C2K nor Reference series.
So if someone took JL 500/1 and said it was better than Zapco's iForce, would you give them this "whole" routine again?

"next?"
You really need to clam down and see what you're posting. We're all here to help and learn, not stoke one's egos.

By your careless spelling mistake, I gather your adrenalin was flowing overtime?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1210
"i doubt you will notice the difference between mtx and xtant"
Care to put some money on it?
actually, richard clark has 2000.00 on this one. check him out at carsound.com. i don't take money from children. i teach them (i have a couple of hard headed kids like you in my class).
4000 posts of inept opinions. a wonder your account hasn't been voided.
i won't argue with you, though (or waste time reading your lame post). when wise men argue with ignorant children, it becomes hard to distinguish between the two. so go back to your folks' garage and blast your MT. it's apparently damaged your cerebral functions a tad. to the extent that you have apparently passed the point of no return (25db attenuator plugs maybe?).
but while your at it, study a bit of basics before you post again. ever.
we would all appreciate it a great deal. i've made my points and the others here seem to agree, so no need for stroking any egos in this direction.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
I dont beleave a watt is a watt thory
but I beleave I have some good sh!t
and once you get up into these levels of good quality your paying for good build and long life

man I have a PPI Art
i have an eclipse
imma get my wife an Orion hcca(really for me) :D

I dont agree with you isaac but I beleave when you say a product is good i beleave you

wich amp sounds better the hcca or the amp ur talking about

watch i wont be able to tell the diffrence between none of them however

Gold Member

Post Number: 1212
a bit of clarification on "a watt is a watt within the amps limitations"

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/151247.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 4644
"i don't take money from children. i teach them"
Really, I'd hate be one of your student. You've proven many times how you distort/alter messages to suite your purpose.
For a teacher you sure set bad examples with your spelling. Isn't that against teacher's ethics? How careless can you get?

You say I'm lame, yet all you can come up with is more insults to cover your lack of experience/knowledge. Maybe you can fool your students, but really, it doesn't take a genius to fool them. In fact, most of them still believe in "Santa Clause".

You still hung up on my MT? Man get over it. Stop acting like a spoiled brat that can't his way.

"Care to put some money on it?
actually, richard clark has 2000.00 on this one"
Don't be lame and use Richard Clark's example. You were the one that challenged about Xtant and MTX. Make yourself more useful and do a search on google on Xtant 604x. You WILL see a review done by one of the writer about the SQ improvements over a regular/cheap amp. In fact, if you like, you can email him offer the same challenge. I'm sure he'd gladly take your offer too.

And please, no more cheap insults. You're hurting my feelings (I'm actually laughing). Here's a a quarter, tell it to someone who cares.

I'm betting that soon, you might resort to using "your mama's so fat" lines.

Anyhow, like all your stupid, time wasting posts, you've managed to blow things out of proportion and off topic.
My original intent was to say that instead of spending hundreds of dollars on Eclipse/Alpine, Xtant was on fire sale right now. For $199, you won't find a better bargain. Seriously, how many US designed and made amps can you get for that amount?
I don't mind getting good arguments over facts, or even opinions/different views, but you got my attention over the ways you portrayed or shall I say, dropped words/sentences to support your cause.

This part still makes me laugh.
"and the favorite 'an MT has better sq than a w7'"
How in the world can you say you're a teacher and deliver false statements like that?
That's as stupid, or better yet, ignorant as repeating a quote from a line "It was not me who cheated on the test", and only choosing to hear "I cheated on the test".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1213
"And please, no more cheap insults. You're hurting my feelings (I'm actually laughing)."

ok. last one. now we can ALL laugh together:

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 4648
Very immature but funny picture.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
''My original intent was to say that instead of spending hundreds of dollars on Eclipse/Alpine, Xtant was on fire sale right now. For $199, ''

but see you say elcipse and alpine are overated
and say they are not worth the money and use eclipse and alpine in the same sentence in more then one post. eclipse amp is brought up u classify it with alpine i never said nothing because nobody was looking for an amp in those posts.

Im just saying dont put alpine and eclipse in the same sentence if the two brands arnt brought up because truth be told eclipse is a better amplifier. 1 of the 1st spec a novice like me looks at is even diffrent voltage testing.

i would been pissed if i was new and seen you lump alpine and eclipse together and went with the alpine because the big name and later bought an eclipse.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
I just dont beleave a watt is a watt
guy at work says all the amps do the same thing and has a 2000 watt power acoustics

No Bull Sh!t my 4 ch 20 watt rockford punch amp
pushed my rear fill to deeper bass then his power acoustics push his volfenhags

I beleave a watt is a watt when you get up into high quality amplifiers

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
u never answerd mny question isaac is the amp you talking about better then the hcca?

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
I was looking for a good but economical ($200-250) 4-channel amp. I didn't mean to start all this craziness...

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 782
Just for kicks I sent Eclipse and Xtant the exact same question about the technical specs of a similar amp. Even though most of the things I asked about were already in the manual for the Xtant amp, I will see what each one sends back. I think both are great amps, this is just a test. :-)

It does piss me off though that when you go to Eclipse' site, they have there power rated in max watts. Uhhh... I think they should be more honest.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
You gotta read bro

it has both the rms and the max
nominal then it has the max

http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/pa5532.html

125W 4 Channel + 460W 1 Channel
Max. Power Output at 2 Stereo
70W 4 Channel + 280W 1 Channel
0.1% THD at 2 Stereo,
20-- 20,000Hz@13.8V (RMS Continuous Power)
50W 4 Channel + 200W 1 Channel
0.1% THD at 4W Stereo, 20-- 20,000Hz@13.8V
(RMS Continuous Power)
how much more honest do they need to get?

Man just read
please you are the second in this post that just refuse to read whats right there!

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Tyler I just want people to get good sh!t like i want good sh!t without being mislead

if Isaac says a product is trash get a second opion
if he says a product is Good Beleave him

thats just what i make of him

Gold Member

Post Number: 4654
LiL Jon, if you're using it with for powering components, you won't be able to tell a difference. Both gives excellent SQ. HCCA however, works very well with subs too. James uses it in his car.
One thing I know for sure is, I'll never be selling my Xtant/PPI/Orion amps. When I have some more money saved up, Zapco will be my next collection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Xtant would it handle the 8volt eclipse unit?

and wich is the best model to try

Gold Member

Post Number: 4661
HCCA handles up to 9v, and yes Xtant handles 8.5v unbalanced, and over 17v I think balanced. Xtant 1001 is class D, and 604x is class AB. They also have 603x (2 channel plus sub).
FYI, 604x and 603x used to cost $700 - $1000 couple of years ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4662
LiL Jon, I have a question about the spec you posted. Using that same info, can you tell me why that amp is better than a Sony's number?
Sony 1000w amp:
1000 WATTS max power
165W x 2 watts RMS @ 4 ohm, 20Hz - 20kHz, @ 0.1% THD
200W x 2 RMS @ 2 ohm, 20 - 20kHz, @ 0.15% THD
400W x 1 RMS @ 4 ohm bridged , 20Hz - 20kHz, @ 0.1% THD

My point is, very few companies will list detailed info, unlike Zapco. Without them, it's like comparing apples to oranges.
Maybe I shouldn't have used Eclipse with Alpine in the same sentence to avoid all these grief. Look past the words and concentrate on the message. There are some great deals out there for very little money and without sacrificing performance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
That Sony amp posting brings me to an important question. Is Sony becoming a better car audio company? Their new amps are CEA rated and everything! What's up with Sony wanting to be all business and professional and quality all of a sudden?

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 783
I only looked at the DA7122, because it was the only one that was close to the Xtant X1001, which I e-mailed and asked them about. Take a look at that one, talk about no info whatsoever. only max....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4665
Nah, it's just a loop hole Sony found. They don't have to guarantee anything but the power. So, what if it hits 1000w but burns out in 1 hour? Same bad quality, just now they can no longer lie so much.
Tyler, isn't hard to tell which amp was better by looking at what LiL Jon posted?
Reason why I look for more than just power numbers is, when comparing Eclipse/Xtant/Zapco/JL/US Amps, you want to compare similar models. And based on just rms, it can't be done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
Yes, or Hifonics would reign supreme with their 10Kw amp or whatever that gewgundous POS is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
well damn near all the amps out there have the same specs not zapco and not Us Amps

I think Us amps has the best specs

but far as these amps specs damn near identical you just have to know were to buy your product

i dont think eclipse is top of the line
you know whats Great out there I dont
but
I think i wont be able to tell the diffrence from my ppi arts tho
im just doing two set ups
and gonna see if i can tell the diffrence
ill post here wen im done
underground vs mainstream :D

I still need some help isaac
imma make a thread in the subwoofer forum come give me a hand and help me understand a few things
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us