Paradigm Speakers any thoughts

Username: Kiefer02

Post Number: 8
I'm in the process of upgrading my etire system. Just boought a Denon Avr 1507 to replace my old Denon AVR 800. I have Boston Acoustics Micro 80X speakers with a Boston SW 10 Powered sub (1996).

I heard some large floor standing speakers from paradigm, they sounded great I thought. Was hoping to make these the fronts in my home Theater and get the added bonus of better sound for music. The small book shelf speakers are nice, but the big ones seem to have better range in sound?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4751
Hello Mike.

If you are going through your whole system, you will be fine with the Paradigm line. However, do keep a few things in mind. The 5 speakers should be matched, the front 3 anyhow, to avoid imbalances in delivery. The center channel bears the load of delivering clarity and dialogue, pay special attention to it. The fronts should represent a match to the center. The rears are less critical, but a 5 speaker package should address this anyhow.
The Paradigm Cinema series represents a step-up in quality anfd performance.

The fronts may be floorstanders or standmounts.
Beyond appearance and perhaps some bass extension, floorstanders are a lot of material to control. When braced and built well, the large cabinet can do good things for you.
If poorly done, that's a lot of box to buzz.

That Denon is a very good sounding HT unit.
Stereo performance is rated differently by different people. Perhaps follow a speaker package from Paradigm, or a similar product like Psb.
Or the dozens of product lines that others should suggest here.

Post Number: 9
Thanks Nuck, perhaps I should purchase the center first. As I'm looking at the floor standers there is a large cost and budget wise I won't be able to buy all 5 at once. My current center is an old sony that came with two rears in a box I bought back in about 1996.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4753
Mike, if you look at speaker packages, you might find some B stock from various sources. Where are you located?

Post Number: 10
Im in Windsor Ontario Canada. Close to the Detroit border

Gold Member

Post Number: 4756
OK just down ther road from me.
Since we are on the pricey side of the border, a lot of US based stuff is double here. Sucks.

Maybe e-mail a couple of manufacturers, or visit the sites. Paradigm, Psb, Mirage, and see what they have.
Sometimes a link to a .ca site works out ok.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/

Bronze Member
Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 37
Any thoughts on the paradgim atoms? I haven't had a chance to audition them, but i hear they're pretty impressive for the low price. Albeit with a couple of corners cut in terms of aesthetics and build quality and so on...
Anybody tried them?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3711
I've had Paradigm Atoms in various systems and am always delighted at the sound they give. They are remarkably full sounding and well balanced. If you like to pull the grills off of your speakers and stare at the drivers you are out of luck as they don't come with removable grills. The Atoms are a unique super budget speaker as they really sound better with upscale electronics. They are a bit power hungry, specs don't show it but believe me if you want the best from them you must feed them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
How do you have the atoms set up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4761
Art, somehow I missed the Atoms in your profiles.
Yes, how have you used them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Also-
does anybody know the difference between the atoms and the new atom "monitors." I just spoke to a paradigm dealer (who is very fast-talking and aggressive) and he insisted that if I was intersted in the atoms i would definitely prefer the atom monitors. I can't find anything about them on paradigm's site. The only difference he could describe was magnetically attached removable grills. Doesn't seem like a major improvement. Also- is $219 the proper list for the atoms? Or am I getting snowed?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3713
I haven't had Atoms for a couple of years.

I've used them in a bedroom system with and without a sub.

I've used them as rears in an HT setup.

I've used them with good midfi integrateds and with AVR's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3714
$219 is the proper list....he'll take less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us