Computer ---> Mini system or CHEAP bookshelves

Username: Tiddlydee1289

Seattle, Washington USA

Post Number: 2
Ok so i have several problems or things i need addressed. I am trying to hook my computer up to a mini system or something like that. I am a teen and have a VERY limited budget, probably $150 maximum. First of all, i have figured out a way to take the digital signal out of my computer by getting a y splitter thing that takes the 1/8 inch digital audio out from the sound card and converts it to 2 RCA outputs, and then running the rca cables to a reciever/mini system. Is this the best way??? Also, i currently have a very cheap aiwa cx - naj10 mini system (i think there was something to do with 30 watts when i got it [as a present] several years ago but i do not remember) with the 2 crappy speakers it came with. I want to know: should i buy a new mini system or get some kind of amp for my current system and get some speakers. i dont know what to do. I just want better sound for in my room. Remember, i probably have a $150 budget. Also, if i do do this, am i going to have to get a new sound card??? currently i have the integrated sound card (maybe not a card but owell) that came with the computer. It is possible that the sound card could be outside my budget amount. Please help me i want to know what to do! I do game but dont take the sound that seriously and dont play the sound that loud but i do want to be able to listen to relatively loud music and i would want as much bass as possible with my small budget.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 221
with that small of a budget i would go for computer speakers like these.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C2KB7
$150 is a very and i mean very low budget for an amp and speakers. the speakers i suggested have gotten pretty good reviews you can even check cnet for one.

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 117
I would have to go with the computer speakers as well. The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system is also within your budget and is pretty good. Cambridge Soundworks and Logitech also have computer speakers worth looking at.

Username: Tiddlydee1289

Seattle, Washington USA

Post Number: 3
I think I am going to go with the Logitech 2300 system. I have read reviews on all the suggestions and think that these are the best. But, do i need to get another sound card???

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 118
Integrated sound these days is pretty good. Try it, if you need better quality sound, you can buy another card later. As for the speakers, just make sure to listen to whats available before you buy.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Andrew,

The Altec Lansing system that Chris recommended would be very good if you listen to highly detailed and nuanced music genres like classical, jazz, or vocals/instrumentals.

So would this one which is what I would buy today if I were looking, though it is about $30 over your budget:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=logitech+2300

If you are more into rock/rap/pop and gaming then the Logitech 2300 will do just fine, I have the earlier 2200 series.

Although I first hated the subwoofer I've found that by simply turning it so that the driver points to the side at a corner rather than pointing straight at me, does wonders for reducing the overpowering boominess at high volumes. And this Logitech does really crank, I am very happy with its power though after about an hour I have to turn it down to moderately loud volumes due to the harshness of the one-driver satellites.

As for sound cards: a good experiment would be to go to Walmart and buy one of those $40 Creative Soundblaster 2.0 USB soundcards. I love that it requires zero software so it doesn't tax your system resources like many internal soundcards, and if you don't like it or don't feel that it makes any difference you can take it back and keep using your integrated sound. Walmart has one of the best refund policies around.

If you hate the Soundblaster, you can also return it for the Audigy 2 internal card which is supposed to be very good for music but runs around $80. Next step up is a huge price leap to the M-Audio soundcards, I wish I could afford one of those but I'd feel silly spending that much for myh PC, personally. Anyway, newegg.com is one of the best places to look for computer stuff, always great service and very competitive prices---kind of like what jandr.com is to audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us