6 Channel Direct

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 337
Since I purchased the Denon 2910 I have been experimenting with what sounds best for different formats. For SACD, DVD-A and CD playback the 6 channel direct is the obvious winner. My question is in regards to DVD-Vs.

I have found there is a lack in dynamic range, bass response and surround effects when playing videos in 6 channel direct. However for some movies the benefits seem to outweigh the disadvantages. The accuracy and width of the soundstage is better using the Denon's DACs versus my HK 430's, for example Elton John's Greatest Hits tour sounds better in every regard in 6 channel direct. Kill Bill Vol2 - the strings are much more accurate and involving.

Does anyone else play movies in 6 channel direct or care to comment on the inherent differences?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 114
I dont have the same system as you, but I recently upgraded to 7.1 surround, and simply love it. I even watch 2 channel TV sources in 7.1channel surround mode.

Having speakers directly in the back sure adds to the effect. As for how active the back speakers are??? Every dvd is it's own entity.........With some movies, the back is more passive than others. Its dependent on the source. Pop in something like 'Saving private Ryan' and the back will be alive throughout the movie.....

Pop in something like 'big daddy'(sandler), and you will hardly notice them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
What are you using as the surround mode for 2 channel? If it's off cable I find the HK's Logic 7 is best but if I'm playing a CD over 2 channel, it sounds way better running 2 channel through the 6 channel direct mode on the receiver.

For movies like Saving Private Ryan the loss of dynamic range and impact of the surrounds is not worth running the receiver in 6 ch. direct, but for movies with more dialogue and background music such as Big Daddy 6 channel direct sounds better overall.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
My favorites is DDIIx for two channel sources. It sounds almost as good as the real thing. I never run 7 channel direct for movies because(to me) it defeats the surround effect purpose. Maybe in a movie like Big Daddy, it would be worth a try because those dont have much in the way of effects.

I agree that music in 6/7 channel direct is pretty cool for music, but I never really play any except for the rare occasion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
If you have access to Kill Bill Vol 2, que up the scene where Thurman sneaks up on the guy in his trailor. The music passage following this scene sounds noticably better using 6 channel direct vs optical.

I use 6 channel direct for night listening as well, seems more like a natural compression vs. the one my receiver use.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Kano,

I dont have Kill Bill, but I agree....I can see how 6 channel direct would be great for night listening.

Do you also have a 'night cinema' mode? I found that also works pretty good. It adjusts the output so you can still hear the lows clearly at low volumes, and equalizes the output so you dont have to continually adjust the volume when movies go from quiet to loud scenes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
I do, but it only works for Dolby Digital inputs, and I don't have anyone around to be quiet for... just the neighbors.

Watching "I Robot" the other night, I think the bass effect of Smith's car hitting the pillar is unmatched in any other movie I've seen.... Definitely wouldn't be using direct mode for that one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Yes, I've seen 'I Robot' twice now, and I agree about it's good soundtrack.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us