How long does it take a speaker to "break-in"

Bronze Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 67
hey there,

I bought a rotel receiver, and paradigm mini monitors for my bedroom, and just received them today.. my question is. How long does it take a speaker to be broken in? thanx

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 140
A couple of days, I would guess.
Just leave it running with music when you leave for work everyday for a week.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
alright will do. any volume level to leave it at? or settings?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 141
Loud enough. Don't disturb the neighbours all day while you're away, but loud enough to flex the woofer a bit. I'd probably start low and increase a bit every day.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
any types of music? would be better?

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 319
You can put a blanket over the speakers to absorb some of the sound, this will help keep the noise down while still accomplishing the necessary break in time. You can use any type of music

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 67
Running pink noise at moderate levels works too. speaker break in can be torture for those of us who are over anxious : )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
thanx vols ill try that. james what is pink noise?

also how long do u really think it will take for these paradigm mini monitors to break in? i read on the site that placement for these should be away from the wall on stands.. the way my bedroom is, i cant do that.. should i still stick with putting them in the corners?

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
Slade...sorry to step in on a question directed elsewhere but you mention that you can not place the speakers on stands. Where and on what are planning on placing these speakers? Pink noise is the test signal that receivers will play so that you can balance the sound, it's similar to the sound that you hear when your cable goes out and you have that "snow" on the tv, sounds like an electronic version of someone saying "shhhhhhh"
Does that make sense?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
oh ok, i understand what pink noise is. for the speakers i was planning to build glass ledge on my wall so i can pop the speaker onto it. whats ur input on that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
Well, that would work but they will not sound as good as being placed on stands. If you can get away with it I would place them at least 1 foot from the wall (preferably more) on a good set of speaker stands such as atacama, partington, or sound anchor. This will give them the necessary breathing space and also will give them good stability and isolation on the stands.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
errr... lol im gonna try to blueprint my room so maybe ill change it around.. what happens when u place it near the wall? how much should i spend on speaker stands? thanx vols!

Silver Member

Post Number: 371
I would highly recommend a good set of stands such as Partington, Atacama, and Sound Anchor. Unfortunately these aren't cheap, but they will improve sound as well as look good. You can expect to pay $150-400 for good stands. Yes I know that is a lot of money but it's worth it, trust me. Besides that's a drop in the bucket for a guy like you :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 372
Sorry, missed your question about what will happen near the wall. Basically you will notice a boomy effect to the sound, in other words the sound will be less tight nearer to the wall. Some speakers are affected more so than others, but all bookshelf speakers will benefit from being away from the way and on stands. The stands will ensure that the speakers movement goes into the driver and is not lost because of the speaker box moving. I hope that description makes sense. Also, the stands will provide solid footing and sound isolation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
lol, man I am having trouble typing today. sorry for the typos and poor sentencing

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
hey vols thanx man.

150-400, lol thats the cost of the speakers haha. paid 450 for them.. ok so maybe 50 less. but hey sound is the most important right.. lol, yeah drop in the bucket for a guy like me, its fine with me, but the gf is another story.. lol her input on this is and i quote "and you say i waist money" lol!

i actuall have noticed the boomy effect, i use to have energy bookshelf speakers and now that u mention it, its noticeable to me.. rotel, paradigms arent set up yet. il wait till i grab the stands.. do i need the stands for the rears also? oh, and 1 more question. for the rears, should i get another pair of the mini monitors, or should i get the dedicated rear speakers tehy have.. i was unsure about it so i didnt buy them. lemme know thanx!

How do stands do that.. they must be pretty solid? sound isolation, how so?

haha dont worry bout it. not a prob dude! thanx once again!

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
slade...Yeah I know, when I first heard of stands costing several hundred dollars I thought people had gone mad. After further inspection and listening I realized what a good set of stands can do. To your question for the rears, all speakers (bookshelf) will benefit from the use of stands. I guess if you are using the rears for the 5.1 home theater set up I would say that you could get away with not placing the rears on stands since they only come into play with surround sound effects. In this scenario then you could save some money, now if you listen to music in a 5.1 setting then I would definately get stands for them. I have floorstanding fronts and bookshelf rears, now I don't have stands for my rears in this system because I only listen to music currently in stereo mode. I plan on getting an SACD/DVD-A player and I will certainly put the rears on stands then.

In regards to the question for buying the mini monitors, I am a bit confused on your question so I will reserve judgement till I understand it.

Stands provide a solid base for the speakers that deaden the vibrations you get with any sound, they also prevent the cabinets from moving while playing. If you think of it, it makes sense that a speaker has strong magnets to force the drivers to move when sound is present. Naturally this would cause a sway in the speaker if it's not sitting on something quite solid. Stands provide this base and most are capable of being filled, say with sand or the like. This provides an even more stable base and sound dampening effect. I hope that explains it, if not you might have a listen to your speakers on and off stands so that you get an idea of what they are doing for you. I am sorry, sometimes I have trouble trying to explain what my ears hear in an easy to understand explanation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
hey vols. haha yeah.. stands are just.. lol 400bux for speaker stands.. i guess ill splerge on that too. cuz what the hell.. sound is everything right. ill be planning to listen to music in 5.1 and some movies whne im cozy in bed, and dont want to gey my but off the bed. so ill stick with stands for the rears then. what setup do you have? speakers, receiver etc? you say you plan on gettn an SACD/DVD-A player. im also in the market for one. what do you plan on gettin? im lookin at the samsung.. but i think sony blew it outa the water. what i heard anyway. what are u considering?

Ill explain what i mean.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeriesII/Mo nitorSpecs.htm

check that link out. now what i mean is.. should i get another set of the mini monitor for the rear, OR should i get the dedicated ADP-370 for the rear?

Yeah if you think of it, how you explaind it. absolutely it makes perfect sense. almost common knowledge. ive seen those cheap flimsy peices of crap ones, that tip over so easily. so ill look into the better stands. oh hey vols.. lol u know anything about tvs? have a good one man!

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
I have the Kenwood Sovereign Vr5700 receiver, Acurus 100 x 3 Amp, Wharfedale Diamond Center, Diamond 8.3 fronts, and Diamond 8.1 surrounds. I have not decided on a SACD/DVD-A player as of yet but I am leaning towards the new Samsung HD941, I read a stellar review in Sound and Vision Magazine's November (I think) issue. I think I will use this for dvd and sacd/dvd-a and purchase a NAD C541i for my cd player. Unfortunately I don't have the kind of money to go further right now. Which Sony are you talking about that blew away the Samsung?

Also, I have heard that Bell'o makes good stands as well but I have not experienced them myself. They do look nice though, here's a link http://store.sjgreatdeals.net/speakerstands-bell-o-speaker-stands.html

Hands down I would go for the mini monitor if you plan on 5.1 music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
I started this thread over in SACD/DVD-A regarding players, you should read these comments

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/106869.html

I am still in the infancy stage of deciding on a player so I may not end up with the Samsung, this type of player is completely new to me

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
Sorry slade I missed your question on tvs, the answer is no, I am not very knowledgable in that area. I have a Mitsubishi 55413 (I think), it's a great tv in my opinion. I was considering the Sony WS510 (I think), and a Toshiba 50" (forgot the model) but ended up with the Mitsubishi after reading online reviews here as well as other places. I also read good reviews in magazines. A person my wife knows is married to someone who works in the "tv" business and recommended the Mitsubishi over the others I was considering, he stated that the Mitsubishi was second only to Toshiba in the percentage of reapirs needed. If I remember correctly he stated Toshiba 6%, Mitsu 8%, Sony 13% or something like that. Now this pertains to rear projection tvs only, I have no idea what the stats on other ones would be.

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
By the way have you bought your Wilson and other gear yet? If so, I would love to see a pictures of the set up once complete. Sounds like an incredible system!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
cool, stuff vols! ive always liked kenwood.. kenwood is what everyone had when i was about 12 or so.. and everybody in my family always talked about kenwood, and how they always had kenwood stuff.. so i guess thats why i am always hooked on that.. anyway.

the Sacd/dvd-a player is still a blur to me also. dont know anything about those.. i read the post you put on about them. hmm, maybe ill check out the yamaha 1500, or the samsung. the sony i read a review, and some guy told me at the electronic store that the new sony will be the high level of sacd/dvd-a player. i have no clue what model. but i know thats what he said.

For the speaker stands... lol! they look great! but what is the difference between the 90dollar one.. and the 160dollar one? what do i look for in a damn speaker stand lol. watch this, ill take just as long to shop for speaker stands as i did for the speakers! Rofl. man im tellin ya.. those are nice stands..

about the tv's, no big deal dude. ive always liked toshibas. again.. family influence. my uncle has had his toshiba 27" for about 11 years now, still great picture, still great sound. never needed repair. im leaning toward LCD for my tv in the bedroom, because i dont want to put a huge back end tv in here. thing is, i havent found a lcd tv, with enough inputs. so that bugs me! have about 6 vid game systems i would like to play lol. this may be a dumb question but does optical cary both sound and video? same with coax? if so, then i can just use optical for both ps2 and xbox. hmm. if push comes to shove on the tv, ill just stick with the toshiba 34hfx84 hdtv. or should i go with the 32"? grr.. so many choices.

I havent had a chance to run out to get the wilsons, and the other gear yet. been to busy with new investments and stuff. but i will soon. i should have free time next week to take a trip down to washington.. a picture? why not just come down for a holiday and see for urself ;)

as for you say you dont have the kind of money to go farther.. gimme a shout, i think i can make that happen for ya :-) thanx for ur help man!

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Slade....I have not looked at sony for the simple reason that non of their players will be able to play DVD-A as this is the competing format to SACD (Sony is promoting this version), I want to get one tht will play it all. I too have been a Toshiba/Sony guy all my life in regards to electronics but as I get older and hopefully wiser in this Hi-Fi world I am coming to the conclusion that Sony (for the most part) just doesn't cut the mustard, at least for me.

I am not certain about the optical question you asked, I believe it's only for video. I just use component cables from everything and run them into the receiver, from the receiver I have one set of component cables and audio cables going to the tv. I have Sony PS2, Xbox, and a CD player all going into the receiver. I have the receiver and a dvd player plugged directly into the tv so I am only using 2 inputs on the back of the tv. When I get HDTV I will use my DVI input and that will still leave me with 1 component input, 2 digital inputs, and 3 s-video inputs. I would suggest you try something like that, or there are video switches out the where you can plug multiple sources into it and switch back and forth between units, this only uses one connection on the back of the tv.

I would not go with the $90 ones, you can tell just by the picture that they are not as solid. Thinner metal and shafts, bases are smaller. Those would be for smaller speakers. The ones you are purchasing need a good solid base due to the size and weight of them.

Visit! You are 3100 miles from me, lol. Thanks for the offer though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
hmm, maybe so if what ur saying about sony is true. then the stupid guy was BSing me! haha yeah im on the same page as you for the sony part. as i am too getting more experienced, sony just isnt the big hit anymore. i do however still like toshiba :-)

if you go to dolby, or dts website. http://www.dolby.com/consumer/games/yourconsole.html

http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/gaming/creating-environment.php

i beleive optical carries sound.

ive seen some of those video switchers, but they dont have a good picture output.. fuzzy im telin ya. hmm, so maybe ill go the route that you said. you have to use the receiver all the time to play it, if im going that route right? hmm.

lol, so ur saying i cant go cheap. haha. ill get the 160 ones. and ill let ya know how it goes. tahnx man.

3100 miles! lol where are you from?

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
Slade....The optical in that diagram is a audio optical cable with an S-video cable too. This means the S-video cable is carrying the video signal and the optical cable is carrying the audio. So it seems that the optical is for audio only. I have not seen the video switchers in action but if they disturb the picture as you say then I would stay away from them. I think the best way to go is to get a good receiver and hook up these items directy thru it with the exception of the dvd player since I have heard that it will reduce the picture quality in some cases.

I like the some of the Sony tvs and upper end receivers but that is about it.

I live in Atlanta, GA until this coming Monday, I am moving to the Boston, MA area

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
yeah, i realized that now. yeah the video switchers are crap for picture. good for a low quality tv.. when you have nothing to lose. i have a rotel 1056 receiver. yeah ill hook up everything through there. hmm. so you mean NOT to put the dvd video through the receiver? go directly into the tv? S-video, or Component do you suggest? also do you think i should use optical or coax, for the dvd, audio side? im thinkin coax, but maybe u have diff opinion. lol dude, u never answerd my question about the paradigms. should i go with the dedicated rear surround speakers, or should i get another pair of the mini monitors? when i hook everything up ill throw on the blanket over them, and play them all day. will the receiver get overheated if i leave it on all day? or will somethin happen? any types of spicific signal sound i should use? or should i just throw on the speaker test tone, or whatever its called and leave that on? volume leve? im gettin ansy lol.. i dunno if u can tell, but i wanna hear these bad boys arleady and i dunno how long its gonna take to "break-in" ~starts rockin back and forth~lol.

everyone in my family has sony tvs, well except the dude who has a jvc, and toshiba.. i like toshiba tvs :-) never seen a mitsubishi tv.. dont they make cars? lol. for the receivers, ive had a sony receiver sittn in the storage closet for over 8 years now.. old stero prologic receiver.

hmm, atlanta.. thats where chris benoit lives :-) cool stuff. boston.. that better then atlanta?

have u ever seen ultravision tvs? those are hands downt he clearest in a side by side decision. rear projection i beleive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
I prefer the dvd straight to the tv using component cables for video and coax for audio. I answered the Paradigm question at 5:06 on 10/27, the recommendation was for the monitors.

I would not worry about the amp getting hot as long as you have sufficient space around it, stick to the manufacturers recommendation but most of the time it's around 6 inches of clearance. Amps actually can be left on permanantly, this will take care of the warm up time that an amp needs to reach it's best performance. I know many people who leave theirs on constantly, my wife worries about our cats going up in smoke so I don't leave mine on :-)
You want to break in the equipment on the highest sound level that you can get away with and not disturb the neighbors, that's why I suggest using a blanket to deaden the sound levels. You can use music or a test tone, I prefer the music myself for no real reason.

I can't really comment on whether or not Boston will be better as I have never lived there, but that is where my wife is from along with all of her family. My family is spead all over the world so it really doesn't matter much to me where I live.

I have not heard of the Ultravision TVs, you mention they are rear projection. Is this a new brand?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
so you prefer the dvd component going into your tv, and the coax going into ur receiver? oh, ok i wasnt sure of wheather or not u answerd.

so it wont get too hot? ok ill read the manual and see what it says. 6 inches, i have way more then that.. so u think im good to go? amps left on permanantly??? how so? its integrated intot he receiver, so do you have to leave the receiver unit, with the lcd or led lights on the screen?? wont those burn out? of is there a way to just leave the amp on? that is confuseing to me.. lmao.. Rofl.. cats goin up in smoke.... thats the funniest thing ive heard all week! loll!!! hilarious! you say disturbing the neighbours.. when its at its loudest it doesnt disturb them... do you guys in the states have thin walls or somethin? could i get away with leaving the radio on? cuz thats all diff types of music correct? so its not just 1 constent source?

following the wife are ya? lol have fun in boston! any family in canada?

i am not sure really. ive seen them in the retail stores here.. maybe its just a canadian brand.. but im tellin ya. really really clear picture from those. beat out the sony, toshiba, and samsung side by side. great tv! i would get it.. but im not gonna throw a RPTV in my bedroom! lol! and home theatre is, well as u read the ronco projector. actually... maybe i can get away with that tv.. hmm ill give it a try!

vitocor
Unregistered guest
The Ultravision line is made by Hitachi. At least that's the only ones I've seen around here.

marie denarnaud
Unregistered guest
Speakers do not break in, you stupid moron!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
uh huh.. right.. and who in the F.. do u think u are u stupid peice of S... why did i get responses then u stupid mother fu.cker. go f.ck urself u dumb f.ck

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 989
When you can't be intelligent then call people names or use foul language. How choice!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
uh huh.. right.. im gonna sit here and let some poor invulent call me a stupid moron.. right.. i dont think so..

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 172
Marie Denarnaud, speakers have mechanical moving parts and so can lossen up after initial use. There's no room for name-calling here, specially when you happen to be wrong.

Slade, not cool man. Your outburst makes you look like a teenager who can't control himself. Don't lower yourself to the level of your attacker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Not lowering, raising above the individual. somebody starts somethin.. u better beleive i wont back off and ill finish it.. but i understand what ur saying. i dont take kindly to name calling. considering who i am. so of course i will retaliate.

666_Gonzo_666
Unregistered guest
Vols,

hehe, im a Kenwood fan for Life! Check out the bragging area for pics of my system.

Slade,

YEAH BC!!! Campbell River represent!:D
I run a Ps1, an Xbox, and a Ps2 all through my system.

My Kenwood VR-6070 runs all my video game systems fine, I have my ps1 analog through vid 1, my ps2 through optical CD/DVD, and my xbox through optical vid 3.

As to the confusion above im going to help the rookies on this board:

Component Video:

Three cables, red blue and green. This is the best video connection currently available. This is video only and works by splitting up the reds, blues and greens.

Optical:

Sound only, this is the best audio connection available. Carries up to 7.1 channel audio through red light. Just dont sinch or kink them, it will wreck the cable.

Composite Video:
This is the basic video connection, a yellow RCA cable.

RCA:
This is just the basic 2 channel red and white audio connection.

Co-axial Digital:
A 2 channel digital audio only from a mono RCA style connection.

S-Video:
This is a PS2(not Sony PS2)type connector, video only, works by splitting up black and white, use them they are better than composite connections, although inferior to component.

There, I hope this helps cable and connection confusion!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
lol gonzo, that is all pretty clear to us i think. we all knew that. your from cambell river? haha i know quite a few ppl from there. do you kno anitra? or brandi primeau? if you run ur ps2 optical through cd/dvd, what do you connect your dvd to? meaning u personaly not in general. vr 6070 pretty low end receiver wouldnt u say.. i like the vr 7080 i like the remotes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us