HK 230 or Onkyo 601 - SAME PRICE

Michelle Abrams
Unregistered guest
Please advise on which receiver is better. They are both the same price.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 113
What speakers do you have?

Michelle Abrams
Unregistered guest
No speakers yet: I will buy either B&W or Boston Acoustic.

Michelle Abrams
Unregistered guest
I can also get the Marantz 5300 at the same price as the HK 230 & Onk 601. so now my question is: HK 230, Onk 601 or Marantz 5300?

Username: Edison

Post Number: 270
This one won the receiver of the year award -

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=101502

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/onkyo-tx-sr800-receiver-4-2003.html

Sounds rich and smooth - non-fatiguing pleasant sound. Does music well too - one of a few surround receivers that do.

Might want to consider these speakers selling direct cutting out the middleman - they can offer more quality for the buck. They received great reviews - you can read them on the sight.

www.axiomaudio.com
www.ascendacoustics.com

Post Number: 115
Michelle,
Of the units you mentioned I would choose between the Marantz and the H/K. Both give you true power ratings while Onkyo does not, at any price level. This is not to say Onkyo's are bad but the other two have better power supplies and are warmer sounding. Buy whichever you feel most comfortable with as far as features and user friendliness. Spend as much time as needed in the store to aquaint yourself with each unit and go from there. All three are fine but for me the Marantz and H/K give you better performance for the money, especially if they are the same price.

Anonymous

Both brands are laid back so I would not pair them B&W speakers as they are too. The sound will be too heavy IMO. Not heard Boston's though.

Post Number: 116
For speakers listen to the Monitor Audio's. The Bronze line would be a good match with these receivers sonically and price wise. B&W probably would be a bit to laid back and Boston's just plain are not as good as the Monitor's. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us