Gulf breeze, Fl Usa

Post Number: 3
In 2004 I purchased the following system:
Yamaha RXV 1500
Fronts - Paradigm studio 40v.3
Surr - Klipsch R35
Cent - B&W LCR60 S3
Sub - B& W ASW650

Here's the problem. The system sounds fabulous with high-end production material coming from an above average source, but anything less, makes the system sound sub par. The system is not very forgiving

I am happy with system when used as a home theater, but when it comes to listening to music, I find myself having to adjust the system too much.

My gut feeling is that the speakers could do justice to a set of high-end amps. But I am wanting opinions about where the weak spot in this system is and will any upgrades be cost effective. As you can see, i avoided spending crazy money on this system and will not in the future. Maybe one day, but not now.

Here's the question. Where's the weak spot in this system. Will any of this equipment perform better with other components. Consider strictly listening to music and that the Yamaha does provide plenty of volume for the room and my tastes.

Thanks for your feedback

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14151

I doubt the Yamaha is capable of delivering the amperage required by the Paradigms and is falling flat when asked to do so. Playing videos and playing music are two quite different tasks for most HT receivers.

Are you using the Yamaha as a two channel system for music or using the various DSP formats provided by the receiver? If you are using multichannel processing for music, your selection of disparate speaker manufacturers would make me question just what sort of sound you expect from this system.

The digital source player could also be letting you down when playing music as most DVD players are not very good at CD's.

Certainly most HT systems are not properly set up for music reproduction and speaker/listener location could be working against you.

It would appear you need to find a good audio dealer and not a big box retailer to sort out your problems. Any independent audio shops in your area?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13833
Pete, the matching of speakers is different, but if you are happy with the 5.1, then no problem.

The Studio40's are, IMO not the best of the Paradigm lot.
How are the 40's supported now? As in, what stands?
Have you worked with placement of the speakers and/or your seating position?

Username: Sekupa

Gulf breeze, Fl Usa

Post Number: 4
Hey Nuck and Jan,

Thanks for the quick response.

<jan> Your first statement about the Yamaha not being up to the task is exactly my concern. I have found that the best music playback comes in the 7-channel stereo DSP mode with the center and surrounds defeated to about 10%. Yamaha does have 2 channel direct, which is the mode I would prefer, but the sound isn't big enough, so I use the 7-channel stereo to fill the room.

I have no experience with using separate amps. Could you advise if amps may help, or should I just start planning my next system

Your statement about the HT system not really being designed for music is disheartening, but I am coming to believe this. Would amps help, considering, I am stuck with these speakers.

<nuck> As for the placement, I'm in the process of shopping for stands right now and placement will not be an issue. The room is rectangle, about 16x25. I just moved to this house and, while there are not shelves, the room is acoustically better than my previous home, but a bit bigger. Stands will definitely help.

BTW - the problem is not the quality of the sound at its best, it is the consistency of the quaity from source to source or even song to song.

Would amps help at all with this. If so, could recommend possible amps that would be in a range that would suit these speaker. The 40's are nice for the money. Of course the operative word is money.

Thanks for both of your opinions.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14153

" but the sound isn't big enough, so I use the 7-channel stereo to fill the room."

I don't understand. What's not "big enough" mean? It's a 16' X 25' room, that's not that much to fill. Please be more precise in your language.

I also don't understand "I am stuck with these speakers" but you can buy a new amplifier. It rather sounds as if you have the itch for a new amplifier and you believe it will solve your problems.

I'll disappoint you because I don't believe in throwing money at problems until you have the problems sorted out to the best of your ability. From what I read you haven't even set up the system as it should be and yet you are thinking of buying a new amplifier.

You say you just moved to this location, how does the sound quality vary from the old location?

What is the digital source player?

How much time is dedicated to music and how much to video?

Have you done any research into system and speaker set up procedures?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3203
The Studio 40's should have no problem filling a room in 2 channel mode, given the right amplification.

I have the Studio 20's and they would certainly be more than enough in your average sized room.

Like Jan said, your disparate collection of speakers listening to music in surround DSP format would not lead to satisfying results to be sure.

I used to have just one system, that tried to do both things (HT and music) well, but I eventually moved on to having 2 systems. One that does HT reasonably well, and one that does music extraordinarily well.

Username: Sekupa

Gulf breeze, Fl Usa

Post Number: 5
When I say the sound isn't big enough, I guess i am comparing the 2-channel direct to the 7-channel stereo mode. In 2-channel, these speakers do not sound impressive, yet in 7 channel stereo I am able, with the proper adjustments, to make the entire system sound very nice when playing media with high production quality. I really don't buy in to the fact that the system will not produce quality results with speakers made by the different manufacturers. Again, I can get the system to sound quite nice, then I change media and adjustments must be made.

Its not that I have an itch to spend a couple grand, I just feel like the Yamaha is the weak link and a quality amp will make these speakers sound like they should. Maybe the speakers will never satisfy me when playing music in 2 channels, but I find that hard to believe.

My last house was smaller, but the acoustics were bad. It was a very open house with a lot of angles and dead spots and the speakers had to be placed very high on a plant ledge since there was no room for floor standers.

BTW - I have owned this system for 5 years and understand its full settings capabilities. I just spoke with my local Paradigm dealer and he stated that the Yamaha that I have isn't powerful enough to push the Reference line of speakers. This kind of backs up what I thought and Jan's original statement.

Just a word on how I ended up with this speaker set-up. I wanted a set of high quality fronts and a set of full range surrounds. Also, i didn't want to break the bank with a center and sub. I still stand behind this decision, but I have always wondered what an quality amp would do for my music listening experience.

So this is what I'm going to do. Buy a set of stands that give me excellent placement. Start looking into an amp that can be used on this system as well as my next system, which is still years away. As I do my research, make sure I gear my next system more toward music rather than HT, since I am not hard to please when it comes to surround sound. I will also consider David's situation of having a separate system that does music exceptionally well.

Thanks for all of your feedback. It really helped.

Happy Halloween

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3208
Pete, does your Yamaha have pre-outs? If so, you could pick up a half decent used 2 channel power amp and use that to drive your 2 front speakers. It makes a big difference when listening to music. On my HT system I'm using an ancient Bryston 3B which absolutely spanks my front speakers.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14154

"I just spoke with my local Paradigm dealer and he stated that the Yamaha that I have isn't powerful enough to push the Reference line of speakers. This kind of backs up what I thought and Jan's original statement."

That isn't what I posted.

"I doubt the Yamaha is capable of delivering the amperage required by the Paradigms and is falling flat when asked to do so."

Buying "power" is self defeating unless you buy more amperage - or buy different speakers with a higher and flatter overall impedance. Any good dealer should be able to explain this to you. If they can't, shop somewhere else. Buying another amplifier may mean you are only amplifying the flaws of the components in front of it.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 179
I think you have a few weaknesses here with the studio's being the bright spot of your setup. The center channel should be of the same heritage as your studio 40's. The receiver is weak in the knees to power those speakers up front as well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3321
I agree that that Studios deserve a good amp. But the Studios are relatively easy to drive. In fact, I'm using a Yamaha 2 channel receiver in my bedroom system (granted it's much better than the Yamaha AVRs) and it sounds quite good.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1058
Bedroom system...what's your music pleasure there Dave? Do you get away from the hard-rock/metal and into the Barry White? LOL.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3327
Haha. I knew as soon as I posted that someone would come with a comment like this ;-)

Actually, the one who gets the most out of the bedroom system in the Dane, who spends the day lounging listening to the radio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us