Receiver Upgrade - Andre

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2580
So, I finally, since the subwoofer blew, decided to take a different approach to the upgrading of the HT.

Two weeks ago (Saturday), I took in my JBL 4311s (My dad's, technically) to the local store I plan to buy my receiver from (I have store credit).

They did not have the model in stock that I was hoping to test them with, so I decided to do it on their earlier model at the same price point. Oh...it was the Pioneer Elite Vsx-91txh I was hoping to test, but instead I did the Vsx-81txv ... slight difference (No new codecs and less features and abilities).

They sounded a whole lot better (I used the same CD player to try and get it closer to a controlled experiment) than they did on the unit at home (specifically some weird distortion with bass and a weird modulation distortion).. so taking into account the ability to heavily upgrade the system around it, I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I figured the pre-amp outputs, HDMI 1.3a, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, MCACC, Amp Quality, Processing Circuitry, DAC, ADC, and many other things which would take too long to describe were a good reason to make the huge upgrade to this receiver.

I'll let you know what I think when I get it installed.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 112
andre is finally getting his pioneer elite receiver he has always wanted, hope you like it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8691
Attaboy Andre! I hope you enjoy your music even more now.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2582
Wow...I can't even describe the extreme improvement over the Yamaha. It's indescribable!

There's so much detail and it sounds "effortless" if you will. I can turn it up louder and louder, but it never sounds loud, just more intense! That's what I've been looking for. I had been thinking these speakers were bass deficient, but man, I was so wrong.

I'm so surprised. I wasn't expecting an improvement this HUGE. One thing I was really surprised about was how well the sound came together and its ability to handle transients. Now there's deep, defined bass and everything.

Everything I have been hearing is true.

Thank you Pioneer!

Once my excitement dies down, I will probably do a better job describing what the upgrade brought.

The key things I'm hearing though are POWER, CLEAN POWER, along with a very good sound image. I am very impressed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
thats what pioneer elite will bring you compared to a yammy andre, happy long listening as PE's are pretty well built units. Have fun!

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
hey andre, how much are you paying for that unit? if you were wanting to look at the 91txh, take a look at this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-Elite-VSX-90TXV-7-1-A-V-Receiver-VSX90TXV-BNIB_W0QQi temZ150160919403QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thought you might be interested.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2583
No, I actually bought the 91Txh when it came in. I got a good price of $650 so I think I'm pretty happy.. It's just that there's so much more detail and..wow...man.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 474
slowly he comes around!
Good for you Andre!
But, WHERE THE BASS!

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
good purchase andre, will a cd player be in your next purchase?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2585
David, sure the <30hz bass may not be there, and output capability of the speakers is limited, but the SQ is definitely of a quality I desire.

Actually, I plan to get a Pioneer Elite Universal DVD Player. I'd like to have the DVD-Audio, SACD, and a lot of other formats available with one player. I might even wait until they come out with a universal HD player (Blu-Ray and HD-DVD along with everything else)...but probably not. I'm just interested in audio, mostly.

I'm sure it has great SQ.

I'm really happy with the SQ upgrade.

Silver Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 150
Biggest improvements I've ever made to my systems (twice) have been on the amp end. Enjoy.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2587
I looked at the power supplies of both receivers and the old one was 400VA while the new one was 800VA with basically the same rating. No wonder it sounds so much better.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 970
Certainly beats a kick to the head. Or even two kicks! I'm not sure about three though. Thats pretty tough to beat.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2588
I've taken the old receiver and put it in my room.

It is connected as follows:

Speakers (84dB sensitivity 4" full-range drivers) hooked to L/R outputs of receiver

Subwoofer Output hooked to Scott

My 4-ohm DIY "Cardboard" Sub F3 of 30hz (CHEAP) hooked to Scott

Tuner of Scott hooked to input of other receiver

I'm surprised at the sound. It sounds pretty good and gets quite loud. The bass is quite strong down to around 40hz at high volume. It's not too bad for a small little bedroom setup.

The power to each speaker is ~60w RMS at +12 on the volume control with 3dB headroom (the way I set it) and ~150w RMS to the "Sub." It has an improved soundstage as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
I remember doing all those little home audio experiments when I was a kid lol

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2593
Haha is this why you seem to be responding to about everything I say?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2599
I think I have my speakers set up incorrectly in the main room.

In my room, I have the old receiver amplifying my 4" full-range speakers and a little 3 cubic foot sub that cost like $15 to build and I think it sounds better and I can even feel the bass in here. It doesn't quite make sense to me because I have much more displacement capability in the other room and a lot more amplifier power.

I think the culprit is speaker placement and system setup. I will be doing a lot of tweaking until I figure out the problem. I'll let you know how it goes (I think).

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
lol to tell you the truth I still do these experiments now I used to build speaker boxes all the time, not even close to being a good box, I once made a speaker box with one of my dads 20 pack bud light boxes, it didnt sound very good but it was sure fun to make and mess around with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us