What bookshelf would you recommend with my setup (B&W)?

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 40
I have the current setup right now:

ASW600
LCR600
DM603 S3 (x2 -- front)

I'm looking for rear to make a 5.1 setup, and I'm wondering what I should get to complete my setup. I want to stay with B&W and within the series, so I'm trying to decide between the DM600/601/602.

My first thoughts were "Get the 602's, more sound, no regrets." But then, when I started thinking more logically, I've heard the 602s are pleasant FRONT speakers for many people, so they may be too much for what I need in the back.

I've not heard the 600s or 601s, and I've only heard the 602s as front channel. So, what would you recommend? Are the 602's too much? Are the 600's not enough? I do listen to a good amount of music, but in my house, the speakers will be within 4 feet of the main sitting area, so they will be REALLY close.

The room is VERY open (imaging TV wall with sound equip, right wall with windows, left wall is half wall into dining, and back is open to kitchen/breakfast nook), and it's all on ceramic tile.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

thephatp

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2994
Chad, you can get all the B&W's you want, but you are getting about zero of the quality of sound from them.
Without space to aloow soundstaging and depth, you are probably torturing some real B&W appreciater out there , or in here.

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 41
Well, there's not much I can do about the setup, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a complete waste. Do I have any options at all?

I've thought about the DS6's but I don't know much about them, nor if I have a way I could set them up. I've always imagined having the bookshelf speakers, but I wouldn't be opposed to the DS6's. Do you know if there is a stand I could put them on? If not, I'd either have to mount them just below the ceiling (9'), or actually on the ceiling, neither of which would be very good options.

I also have plans to do a 7.1 setup eventually (already have the wiring in place). The only problem is that I have to piece it together. Plus, I'm not sure that I'm going to do the 7.1 just because the living room is smaller than I anticipated, and the middle channels would actually be a couple feet in front of me, either mounted 9' on the wall, or in the ceiling. So I'm not sure I'll actually do 7.1. Would it still be worth it if the speakers are in front of me?

As far as the size of the room, I'd say it's fairly small. The dimensions are 15' wide by 17' deep. The only thing is that it's in a very open area, with ceramic tile. So I have a lot I have to deal with. And I don't want something over the top because my ears are pretty sensitive.

Here is a link to my current floorplan, and pics of my livingroom where the rear speakers will be.

http://www.chadmorris.net/avsetup/myHTsetup.html

Any more advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1456
The 602s are not overkill. That said, with them being relatively close, you could probably get away with 601s. Bearing in mind that bass duties are being taken care of by your sub, there's little need for big speakers at the back, but 601s and 602s are closer in presentation to the 603s than the 600s.

That said, if the rears are going to be very close to the rear wall (e.g. against it or within 6 inches of it), then I'd advocate the DM600s because they're a little leaner. The room boundary will add some warmth.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us