$8500 to spend! suggestions welcome!

TheMountainKing!
Unregistered guest
Ive been into gettn a new system. I currently have energy speakers with a sony receiver. Time for an upgrade baby!

Ive read these forums and looked in on threads and have decided the prices of speakers i should be spending about 8500bux. Which i have to spare. so now its time!

I would like your guys' opinion on what i should be lookin at. It will be for my bedroom thats about umm id say.. 12 by 12.. its medium sized. i cant fit floorstanders as u know lol, but id like bookshelves or even on-walls. On-walls seem really nice, and would fit my LCD wall mounted tv perfectly!

Ive got a sub, i got an SVS cylinder series. that i have tucked away. I have my room insulated and sound proofed, so sound will be really nice.

Time for some suggestions! :-) oh also i need to add a receiver, or pre/amp and amp. etc etc.. also a dvd player.

OH! andddd lol should i get a seperate Stand alone CD player, or should i use my DVD player as a CD player aswell? Im looking at the Denon 5910 i think it is? or the OPPO digital one. suggestions welcome!!!

Anonymous

A universal player will be fine. Denon makes good ones as does Marantz. As for speakers, I'm not 100% sure of their pricing, but I believe Vienna Acoustics on wall speakers would fit the bill. As for the receiver, Rotel would be my choice. They make pre and power amps too if you want to go that route.

TheMountainKing!
Unregistered guest
Hmm, whats the Models of the Marantz you mentioned?

See thats what i love about these forums, i hear more and more about different types of speaker companies that i would have never before. reall opens up the market. Ive had a look at their site.. which is better. the WALTZ or the WEBERN? im thinkin the WEBERN. Oh ive actually just had a look at the Martin Logan fresco's. How would the Vienna and the Martin Logans match up?

Ok ive decided to go with seperates instead of a receiver. Keep the suggestions commin!

Anonymous

Probably the Webern, although these are speakers well out of my price range, so I havn't given them a proper audition. They sound really good in passing though!

As far as Vienna vrs ML, you would have to listen to be the judge of that.

As for the Marantz, they have up to the mighty DV9500 for 2,000 if you want to spend that much on a player. A more modest one would be the DV6500 for 600.

TheMountainKing!
Unregistered guest
Where im from theres no place anywhere that has the viennas or the martin logans. so im going on blind instinct basically. Could ya give them a proper audition for me? lol.

as for the players. What the hell, ill go for the DV9500 whats better though the denon or the marantz?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 785
With that kind of mnoey, you can get really good sound if you go slow and ask many questions.

Check here for reviews done well :
www.hifichoice.co.uk

You can afford something better than Rotel - if you give it a week, you will get many responses.

Is it for a 2 channel system?
I would recommend that if you want good music.
Movies sound ok too on it. Since it's for a bedroom, it would be nice to have good music at nights.

On the wall speakers do not sound as good - I would get a regular type.

Try to hear amps like audio research, Krell integrated, mcormack, etc.

If you buy tem gently used, you will end up with a gooood sounds in your bedroom.

Go slow and post it in www.audiogon.com
Also chat alive on www.audioasylum.com

With your room-treatment, it's possible to get real concerts in your room - go slow and make it happen.

You might want to spend $200 and get a dedicated power line - ask an electrician to install it for you - will improve the sound.

If you do little reading, you can get a system worthy of a king.

TheMountainKing!
Unregistered guest
Yep might i add the next step im going to do is get a dedicated power line. Im gonna go with Richard Grays power company line conditoners and power supplies. any thoughts on that?

Yep im open to all suggestions ill wait about a month untill deciding.

I was planning on making it a HT. I love to just lie on my bed and watch movies. Music too! So i can look toward better things then rotel???? right on! i know about brands but i have no idea the prices they run. i try to look around but the net very rarely posts prices.

I cant fit the normal bookshelves in there. Or ok i can but they will be too close to the wall and nobody wants that. My buddy has a krell system all the way around with Wilson audio speakers. hah blow ur socks off. lol.

but its really only 200 to get a dedicated line? i thought id have to dish out over a grand. that is great!

In my room i have my walls dark red with black so its a very warm setting, and actually makes what i have now sound twice as better as it did with white walls. Haha when i get the new stuff.. ill never LEAVE!

Keep the suggestions commin! i appreciate it all!

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 805
This will work just as well for a lot less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5790628578&category=79846 %26%26

Even if you don't want to place bookshelfs in their optimum place, they would still sound better than wall speakers - you might want to consider them ( more choices ).

Post it also in www.audiogon.com and www.videogon.com for more advices.

If you go with a regular type of speakers, there are so many good options - you might want to goto few shops and listen to many.

But take the sale's pitch with a grain of salt - ask someone who has no financial interest in the decision for an unbiased opinion - like here.

TheMountainKing!
Unregistered guest
That thing looks ugly on ebay. I guess lol ive been pulled in by the look or Richard Grey. but their stuff looks good so, what the hell ill go with them.

Will they sound better then on walls? what makes on walls sound so terrible? arent they made for that?

Ok for bookshelves then what should i be lookin at? i dont want anything to be stickin out too big. as in i dont want to be walkin into them lol. they will be right up against the wall if i get them anyway. or i think i could get away with 1-2inches.

thanx ill post there aswell.

there isnt any place here i can go and demo speakers. the only place is smiths.. and they favor like heavily paradigm. thats all they carry.

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 817
Sorry you can't post it on videogon - I meant buy it there to get more quality for the buck.

Price=Quality@audiophile.com
Unregistered guest
I'd get 100 pair of SDAT's for about $85 each. Use some of the extra woofers as coffee filters, funny hats, clothing accessories, lamp shades, badminton birdies, spats (shoe accessory), mutes for trumpets or other brass instrument, and last but not least, funnels for changing your car's oil. Then, when you're down to just a pair of speakers left, reconfigure the box with some insulation and several (you can never have too many) bass ports. You'll be quite appreciative of this sagacious (and slightly supercilious) recommendation. And I'm out.

TheMountainKing
Unregistered guest
Lolll what in the gods name

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 819
Try also chatting alive on here

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/chat/chat.pl

On the left column, there is a "chat" button.

You can ask for advices here, alive.

The boxes for the regular speakers sound better to me - onwalls can be a little tiring.
Have you considered inwalls like Niles audio ones? That is another option.

Themountainking!
Unregistered guest
Cool thanks james, ill check it out

Nah not a chance. i dont even want to consider inwalls. its either onwalls or i guess bookshelves. but the thing is, if i get regular bookshelves, how am i gonna put them for the rears. this is gonna be so awkward.

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 830
I meant on the right column - there is a "chat" link.

Onwalls on back is better than on the fronts - you want a good bookshelf on the front, for your music.

You might want to post it on www.audioasylum.com - you will get more responses.

TheMountainKing!
Unregistered guest
James,

Again thank you for your responses. Yeah ok i tried www.audiogon.com What a mistake that was. Stupid damn people sittn there saying im crazy to spend that much. Square room and all this other bs, but what gets me.. Its not their damn problem
if i set aside this amount, shouldnt they just go ok 8500 this this this is what i recommend.. instead their just @ssholes. Just wanna take their faces and grind em against a brick wall.. heh. Lol anyway thats enough of me being hostile. Ill check out those other sites.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us