Connecting 80 watts/channel amplifier to 60 watts speakers

Username: Nitin

Post Number: 2
I have bought a Panasonic 80 watts per channel ( 5 channels) amplifier/receiver. Can I connect this amplifier to five 60 watts ( max. power) cube LG speakers with nominal power of 30 watts.

Please advise.

Thanks

Nitin

Username: Edison

Post Number: 210
That's ok - the ratings of HT receivers are exagerated on most of them - if you don't play too loud, they will be ok.

Post Number: 3
Thanks James

nitin

Username: John_a

Post Number: 78
It is actually better to have a more powerful amp than the speakers are rated at, you get less distortion.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your help.

However, i still have a problem.

My LG DVD player ( also receiver) has an integrated amplifier at 8 ohms 30 watts per channels ( 5 channels).
Can I, in this case connect the Panasonic amplifier ( with receiver) which is of 80 watts per channel ( 5 channels) ???

Will this setup be safe for my equipment (i.e DVD player, amplifiers-LG+Panasonic and speakers)

Thanks in advance

nitin

Username: John_a

Post Number: 79
nitin,

Yes, you can connect safely, and also it should sound better.

But please be clear that you are now talking about connections at "line" level (before, you were asking about speakers). Even in integrated amps and receivers it is important to realise that there is a pre-amp and a power amp. The output from the pre-amp is roughly the same sort of voltage (around 1-2 V usually) as from your CD player, DVD player, tape recorder, whatever. Also, the equipment should allow you too take that signal out, and accept lin-level signals in. Usually, analogue, line-level, outputs and inputs have "RCA" connectors. Digital connects really work at pre-amp level, too.

The pre-amp does not amplify, much - so pre-amp outputs can be used as inputs to other pre-amps OR to a power amp. The output from a power amp, in constrast, is a big, powerful signal intended to drive speakers, and will blow you pre-amp apart if give it as an input. Fortunately it is usually difficult to make that connection by accident.

So you want LGE-line-out -> Panansonic-line-in -> Panasonic-speakers-out -> speakers.

Hope that helps.

Post Number: 5
John,

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, my LG DVD player is an in-the-box home cinema system. I only want to get a better sound output by connecting the panasonic amp. since the amplifier in the LG system is not that powerful.

I will be following the connection steps as per your explanations :

""So you want LGE-line-out -> Panansonic-line-in -> Panasonic-speakers-out -> speakers.""

Thanks again.

nitin

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us