Speaker, subwoofer, and receiver advice

Anonymous
I have about 300, maybe 400$ at most to spend on a new set of speakers, so most likely im looking at a set of bookshelf speakers. I currently have a pair of '97 (i think) JBL MR25s hooked to a denon stereo receiver of the same year. Another possibility I am considering is purchasing a subwoofer with that money. My problem is, since I know very very little about the technical side of stereo equipment (and by very little i mean nothing), I don't know if I can even hook up a woofer to my receiver. I am a musician and have an ear for fine sound quality (which is why my current system is somewhat dissappointing) and would love some advice as to what I should purchase, and if its even possible for me to get a woofer. Thanks fellas.
--Ben

by the way, the Denon receiver model is DRA-375RD. Thanks again.
--Ben

well, in case anyone was wondering, i figured most of my problems out. I can't hook up a subwoofer to my receiver, so I bought a paair of JBL S38II bookshelf speakers for a great price. heard some good things about them and im quite excited to receive them. If anyone has used these speakers I would love to hear your thoughts.
--Ben

How do I hookup the left and right channels of my receiver to a single RCA imput of a subwoofer

Alford Holland
Ben, you should be able to hook a subwoofer to your receiver. If you do not have a sub out connection on you receiver then you connect by just using the speaker wires.
Connect the speaker wires to the subwoofer and then run another set of speaker wires from the sub to your speakers.

Dave, you do not hook left and right channels to a sub using your method unless the receiver has pre out/in connections. You use the sub out connection on the receiver or connect as I explained to Ben if you do not have sub out on your receiver.

how do i go about hooking up a separate power amp to my receiver that does have pre outs ?

my system is : receiver = Carver c-1000a
power amp = Carver M-1.5t
main speakers = polk RTI 150's
center = polk CSI 140
sub = PSB subsonic 5

the reason for adding the amp is the rti 150's need the power that the receiver cant dish out without getting very hot + shutting down

Anonymous
You can use the rec out on tape as pre outs.

Anonymous
how do i hook up my wires coming from my cd player to m speakers. is my yellow wire my remote wire. my cd player is a pyramid and my amp is a tridal wave 200w i am hooking it up in a 1990 grand prix

I am a novice. I purchased a onkyo tx-sr501e receiver and mordaunt short premiere speakers. I am hoping this is a good combination any reasurrance as I didn't have alot of money to spend

Scott Ford
How do I hook up my subwoofer to my Kenwood KR-V6070 audio/video amp. I have front and rear settings, A and B speaker settings and a center speaker. I currently have the front speakers and the center speaker working. I have attempted to hook the woofer up to the rear speakers, the center speaker and I have not been able to produce any power. I know that once I have the woofer hooked up I can take the rear speakers and hook them up to the woofer for power.

Anonymous
hey, would there be adifference if just hooked a subwoofer into the regular speaker outputs on my sony mini system or would i need a receiver? also i'm thinking of getting some surround speakers so how would i connect those?

I just bought a JBL 135p subwoofer and am trying to hook it up to my technics receiver. The receiver has a single subwoofer output, but the subwoofer itself has two regular black and red speaker wire connectors. Is there an adapter that can convert from the single output into two seperate speaker wires?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us