8 ohm,4 ohm speakers?

avlovr
I wanna ask you guys...what is the diff. between these....and goes w/ what? Sorry for my qestion...I am a newbie

Jerry
8ohm is the general standard for home audio, and car audio is always 4ohm. Why? I don't know. I've never met a single person who could say after listening to a pair of speakers they've never seen, "That's a 4ohm speaker. I can tell by the sound." The higher the impedance, the easier it is on the amp. you tend to see more 4ohm speakers in higher end audio. The main issue is when you have a speaker that starts out at 4ohm resistance. That is, looking at it from the terminals with an ohmmeter. It's a 3-way speaker, but the mid and tweeter have capacitors in series with them for crossovers, which look like opens to DC. But when you hook up your amplifier to it and play music, now the ac signal passes through the caps like their shorts, as well as through all the bypass lowpass filter caps. Now the speaker impedance to the amplifier could look like 3 4ohm speakers in parallel, or only 1.3ohms, or even less considering the bypass caps, which can be very hard on any lesser quality amp only rated for 4 ohms. But that usually is not the case, because trying to force ac through the coils of the speakers makes their impedance look much higher.

avlovr
thanks a lot Jerry....every day I learn something new.Another thing...for 5 weeks I read and read ab speakers and I am trying to decide on what to buy as far as towers....I kinda liked Def Techs...then I read that they are more for movies than music bec they are bipole....and I am more into music..any sugestions in the price range
1500-2000$?

Jerry
I have never heard of Def Techs. Is that Def Leppard's new line of speakers? Just kidding. I know opinions vary tremendously, but if I had $2000 to spend on speakers, my money would go to a pair of Martin Logan's. In my opinion, they are by far the best sounding pair of speakers I have ever heard. The imaging of the curved electrostatic panels is indescribeable. You can't even tell that the sound is coming from the speakers. It is really cool. I really don't spend that much time auditioning expensive speakers, and when I do, all the standard 2- and 3-way speakers really don't sound much better than the $400 a pair JBLs I bought 8 years ago. They may sound different, but not better. Certainly not enough to justify spending $1000 or more. Anyway, check out the Martin Logans. They start at about $2000, but you may be surprised.

avlovr
Thanks a lot Jerry...I 'll find a dealer and go "hear" them

Anonymous

hey guys im fairly new to this topic, but i believe the reason that 4 ohm speakers are used in car audio, and 8 0hm in home audio comes down to the power equation Power = Volts x Current. In a car audio environment the voltage is low therefore there needs to be a higher current.In order to achieve this higher current the resistance (impedance) needs to be less, so that is why the 4 ohm speakers are used. However in home audio, there is usually 110/240 volts available, so less current is needed, and so an 8 ohm (higher resistance) speaker can be used.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us