$500 subs - Aperion S12??

SteveH
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a sub in the $500 price range for home theater and music. My biggest challenge is finding a clean sounding subwoofer that will have decent sound level in my loft. It has 17' ceilings and has about 600 sq ft of open space. The one caveat is that I will be placing the subwoofer within 10 ft of my listening position, so it's not rediculously bad (right?).

I've read some great reviews on the SV and HSU subs. I'm considering both of those. But I also was looking at the 12" sub on the Aperion website. It looks beautiful, and "by the numbers", it looks competive to the SV PB1-ISD($600+shipping) and the HSU VTF2($500+CA tax). I was originally looking at the Klipsch RW12, but that one seems to be less impressive compared to these others.

The S12 looks beatiful, has 250 watts rms, and is forward firing. It sells for $600 incl shipping (no tax in CA). Trouble is there's not much discussion about it on the boards. I read some reviews that included it with the satellite bookshelf system, but they all seem way too over-complimentary. Give it to me straight, please!

I'm also interested in hearing how foward firing design of Aperion/Klipsch will affect performance vs downward firing of HSU/SV. Does downward firing necessarly mean more hate mail from the neighbors? I do not have anyone below me, but do have a neighbor above. Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us