My experiences with Diamond 8.2, Evo 1 and Jamo E800

Hifi Newbie
I wanted to get a pair of speakers for my Marantz SR4300, thus went to audtion these speakers. The E800 wasn't originally on my list.

I tried the 8.2, the bass is very strong. However, the treble wasn't as bright and detail is lacking compared to Evo 1.

The Evo 1 sounds pretty good, stereo imaging is good and details level is great. The bass isn't as strong as the 8.2

As I paid for the Evo 1, the store owner ask if I usually listen to classical pieces. I replied Yes. He then ask if I wanted to take a look at the Jamo E800. I paused as I have never heard of it. Well, I will just try it out.

As he put the CD in and press play........ The level of detail is far better than the Evo 1. The music is lively and stands out compared to Evo 1. The bass is not as good as the Evo 1.

After I heard the E800 and switch back to Evo 1, the difference is very noticeable. The trumpet and violin no longer stands out. All those little details could no longer be heard. The bass isn't as strong as the Evo 1 but its pretty tight. No sure if its good or bad but I guess it comes down to personal taste (it doesn't really affect me as I am using a sub-woofer for my bass anyway)

I bought the E800 in the end, a pretty unexpected choice considering all the reviews I have read says that the Evo 1 is a pair of speakers with great detail, treble and stereo imaging (I doubt the E800 is nowhere as good in reviews).

However, as much as I wanted the Evo 1, my ears couldn't lie. Its simply better in playing classical pieces. Part could be due to the fact that it has 4 ohms impedance instead of 8 ohms for Evo 1. But I feel the E800 is overall a better pair in producing details and with stereo imaging just as good as the Evo 1.

Pretty stange, isn't it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us