NHT superzero vs. Boston Acoustics vs. KEF 2005.2 vs ... any more suggestions

Hi All,

I am looking for a good set of Compact/Satellite Speaker system good for HT and even more so for music... I like to listen to music on the brighter side and a little tighter base with a punch as opposed to soft bass.

Help and suggestions will be appreciated...

Hawk and other gurus, I really like your advices ... it wd be nice for you to help.

Thanks.

Derek
Listen to Athena's Point 5, Energy's Take 5.1 and 5.2. It will be hard to find speakers with satelites that small that sound better.

The NHT are a little bright and the SuperZeros are very bass-shy. Though they are very good speakers, the response sounds tilted. If you can stand a larger speaker try the SuperOnes. They are much better balanced.

Paradigm sells a Cinema series and Athena Micra 6 should be pretty good and they are very small. I haven't heard this particular Athenas though.

Hope that helps.

Hawk
Itsjustme:

I agree with Derek about the Athena Point 5s, but not about the Energy Take system (I think it is too old and flat sounding--other systems have passed it by).

My other suggestions, besides the KEFs, would be NHT SB1s (smaller than the SuperOnes, but bigger than the SuperZeros) which are ready to ahng on the wall with the addition of Omni-mount wall brackets, and the JMlabs Sib/Cub system, which comes with a wall bracket. See it here:

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=JMLSIBCUB5%2E1&product_name=SIB/CUB%205%2E1%20Home%20Theater%20Speaker%20System

The JMlab system is defintely a bit brighter than the other choices, and it has a 5" mid/woofer driver, capable of going lower than most of the competition.

What receiver do you have?

Waiting for the NAD 743/753 to be out. Have auditioned the 742s and it sounds great to my ears. Currently I have an older Sherwood 5.1 receiver which has a real flat midrange and severe issues with clarity. It's absolutely a drag to hear. Hence the upgrade.

Since I am looking for a smaller speaker set, it may not be of my interest, however what do you guys think of the Wharfdate Speaker set with Phase/Velodyne subs for about 500??? Is Wharfdale any good .. haven't heard it.

Thanks.

Anonymous
bump

Rapier
Which Warfedales? I bought a set of Diamond 8.1's a Diamond 8 center and the Diamond DFS bipolar surrounds, and I couldn't be happier. I spent over a year listening to every thing I could before buying these. My goal was to get a budget home theater system, and I spent less than $400 on the whole set! It took a few weeks for the drivers to break in, and once they did, I was amazed. I have separates driving some Paradigm 5seII's in my listening room and have done some A-B testing. The Wharfedale's are harder to drive at 86 db and give up a bit of bass (under 60hz), but the imaging is as good if not slightly better. In a 5.1 system the bass doesn't matter at all. I've since dismantled my separates and will be selling the Paradigms (I want some MMG's) If you go with the Wharfedales you will need to be sure that the receiver can drive them. If you have a large room or a weak receiver look at Paradigm.

I auditioned the NHT superzeros and ones at a dealer. Sweeet, esp the superone XU. It's got everything I was looking for. Couldn't beleive how heavy they were for a small(ish) speaker. The sound was so clean and slightly bright. Basically tried out some CDs of different genre and the reproduction was very delightful. Really Loved the system. I definitely prefered Superone over the zero because of better music w/o subs. Movies were amazing too.

Next I ran to Tweeter and listened to BAs with the NHT sound fresh in my mind. BAs have really bright vocals and the overall reproduction was pretty much as clean as the NHTs although with lesser bass. However their sub is well integrated with the overall system so no problems there. Althought the BA centre channel is a little too sibilant for the movies I think. A shout could easily hurt your ear and you would have to grab your remote. But then again, the horn loaded speakers in the theatres do the same thing.

At this point, both the systems are wonderful choices and I might just have to buy it based on the looks or lower price... NHTs looked very handsome in white.

Ciao.

merlin
Why don't you consider Acoustic Research AR HC6 too? For home theater system under $1000. This set is arguing one of the best. I competes head to head on Energy take 5.2. I have one set at home and I can't be any happier than this.

Finally, the system sounds good and they look. Five of my friend came to audit my AR HC6 and went to audit paradigm mini monitor series set with the same DVD (Star War EpisodeII) and CD. Five of them and me didn't see how paradigm can outperform my AR HC6. Just give it a try!!

Anonymous
what receiver are you using for ARHC6 system?,Ive got the same system and Iam looking for a receiver.

I listened to the JM Labs(Focus? right Hawk?) Satellite system hooked up the the NAD 742 this weekend. Given the room size, and the $1300 price tag, they sounded much better than the 10 year old Bose stuff I have in my game room... I thought they sounded great for home theater, but lacked the punch I am looking for in the low to mid range.

Merlin
To Anonymous

I am using Pioneer VSX-D711. Any pioneer will do the nice job with AR HC6 especially Elite series. Yamaha reciever is too bright for the set. This is just my opinion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us