Need Help! Connecting Hi Fi speakers to amp.

Username: Spbs

Basingstoke

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have a pair of speakers and an amplifier unit. I know nothing about the speaker systems and I have no idea how to connect them.

Speakers:
3 Way Floor Standing Garrard Speakers.
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Max Power Input: 50 Watt
Sensitivity at 1 Watt 1 Meter: 89dB SPL

Amplifier:
Goodmans Micro 1990DVD (Only the amplifier Component not the complete unit)
5.1 Channel Speaker Output
Impedance: 8 Ohms

I tried connecting them to my PC. I used a Twin Phono to 3.5mm stereo jack cable to the AUX Input.
Then I connected the Speakers to the FR & FL point in the 5.1 Channel Speaker Output of the amplifier.

However nothing seems to be working and there is no sound on the speaker.

Could some one please help me out. Is it possible to get my speakers working with the amplifier.

Cheers, Bala.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14378

How did you make the connection from the amplifier to the speakers? From which terminals on the amplifier to which terminals on the speakers? Be specific.

Do you have a headphone jack on the amplifier? If so, is there sound with headphones?

Do you have any other source device you can plug into the amplifier? How about the rest of the system that came with the amplifier? You'll have to narrow down where the problem exists before you can find a remedy.

Do you have anything on the front panel or on the remote that might cause a " no sound" issue? The most common cause for no sound is a "tape" function that is engaged.

Do you have an owner's manual for the amplifier? Have you read it?

Username: Spbs

Basingstoke

Post Number: 2
The amplifier have 5.1 channel output at the back (red/black) for SR, FR, C, FL, SL, SW. I have tried connecting the speakers on all of them except the SW using a normal twin speaker cables. Yes the amplifier have headphone jack on the front and I have tried my headphones on that as well, but no sound.

The amplifier has other source of input as well. DVD Player, TV/antenna. This is not a standalone amplifier. Its a part of the Goodmans Micro 1990DVD Sound System. I only have the amplifier componentof it. The display of the amplifier is on the Tuner unit and which I don't have with me and I could not find out the current source setting.The possible problem might be the source setting in the amplifier , because I don't have the complete system I am not sure what is the current source setting on the amplifier.

I don't have the manual with me. Currently I am just trying my luck by pressing the source and volume button on various combination and using my headphone to find if there is any sound.

Let me know if you have any ideas to figure this out.

Thank you very much for your time and reply.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14385

My idea is you've probably got this pretty well boogered up by now. Just pushing buttons without any idea of why you should push the button or what happens after you've pushed the button is a darned good way to get things all fubar'd.

If you have no sound from the headphones or the speakers, chances are the problem exists in the amplifier and those chances are multiplied way out of proportion to any other answer you could have given. That doesn't mean the problem is in the amplifier, there's a very good chance the problem is in the one controlling the amplifier.

As I see it, you have three choices.

1) Find the owner's manual and make the system operate as it was intended with all pieces in place. Then connect the new unit and you should have sound - if the amplifier is working.

At this point you can't even tell me the amplifier works, right?

2) Take the amplifier in to a repair shop and have them check it for operation and to give you some basic operating instructions. This will cost you some cash.

3) Junk the whole thing and start over with a system that works and is meant to do what you want of it. Jerryrigging junk is a PITA.

Username: Esowden

Richmond, KY

Post Number: 4
The system may be setup in such a manner that it will only work if all the components are in place. I can't find an owners manual anywhere online to double check that but it could very well be the case.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us