Can you hook up an amp to a reciever to get more watts. if soo how. and how do you hook power a car amp inside the home??

Username: Rehmo

Post Number: 1
ok so i have a 200 watt reciever now and i want more watts. so i bought a 650 watt amp i think it is anyway... but how do you hook the two together if it is possible.?? also how do you power the amp??? thanks for the time.!!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14373
If your receiver has pre-outs, you send the signal to a power amp from the preamp outs.
The power amp is powered by plugging it into a wall outlet, or car battery, if applicable.
The connection from receiver is achieved with rca jacks and an interconnect cable.
The speakers are then connected to the power amp.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3522
Why would you want more than 200 watts? (if in fact is pushing 200 watts - a lot of manufacturers are pretty generous with their ratings).

Post Number: 2
thanks nuck. and i just need more cause i bought 2 500 watt subs and i need to power them

Post Number: 3
could you plug in the amp to anything else except the preamp outs?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 764
Not that it matters, but 20yrs ago, Carver made a coupler, the name I have forgotten.
From low powered amp speaker outs, to coupler, to new amp via RCA.
I have no idea how or how well it worked.
Simple impedance device, I suspect, but no details.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 968
In case you are considering the idea of using your receivers speaker level output to your amp DON'T!!! It is a sure fire way to "let the smoke out of" the amp!

Your new amp can only handle line level input from the preout on the receiver.

I hope it is not too late!

Post Number: 4
what kinds of recievers have preamp outputs. do the prices run fairly low? and you can only hook sub woofers up to an amp? you cant hook up any floor speakers up too it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 969
Are you asking about home audio or car audio equipment?

Post Number: 5
home audio? :-))

Silver Member

Post Number: 970
Okay but I am still confused. Home audio subwoofers generally come with amplifiers, what are you trying to use?

Post Number: 7
its a car amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 972
OK sorry, my question wasn't very good. What is with the subwoofers? Are they car audio too?

Does your home receiver have surrounds sound (5.1 audio)?

If so, on both counts, it might be fun (but probably not what anyone could consider high quality) to use the receiver as is with the main speakers, use the receivers subwoofer out to the car amp to power the subwoofers. Powing the car amp gets rather interesting and can be done in a variety of ways but the best is to purchase a power supply (120V AC to 15V DC) of sufficient wattage to handle the amp.

Am I FINALLY on the right track here?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14381
car/home stuff is better handled on other sites, man, with better info(not dissing the forum gurus).

It is a PITA, but a good way to understand wattage ratings

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 767
Only trouble w/car amps in-house is that 650 watts of 13v is 50amps.
Factor in 60% efficiency of amp and power conversion and that 650 output could go to 1500 watts from the wall. A 60 amp/hour battery wouldn't last an hour before voltage dropped too low to be useful and a recharge was needed.

You either need a bank of deep cycle / marine batteries or a power supply from a Lincoln Welder.

Aftermarket plate amp is indicated.

Post Number: 8
yes that answered my question thanx. where could i purchase a power supply??

Silver Member

Post Number: 974
I have never tried it but a computer power supply with a 12V output rated at 650 watts or better should work.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 768
Car stereo guys use huge, low gauge wire, 4ga, and larger to wire power. Generally not available on a computer PS.
I've not yet looked, but a 650 watt computer power supply will not put all that power to the 12v rail. There will be 5v and 3.3v A computer PS will be the total available on all rails, at max.

But by all means, give it a try and let us know. If it doesn't work to plan, you'll be a PS ahead, when you build your next computer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14389
Not after letting the smoke out of the caps. They are painted to keep the smoke in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us