A/V speakers for H/T combined with NAD A/V Rcvr ???

Hello and thanks from a novice to all of the contributing audiophiles out there (esp Hawk and TC Smith). I have been reading these threads for the past week until the wee hours of the morning trying to decide what setup to buy for my H/T. Up until reading this page, I was one of the many ignorant masses who bought into the BOSE hype. I now know better and am thankful that I learned prior to making a $2500 mistake. I have opted to buy the NAD A/V receiver (either the T752 or later) and am in a quandry as to which speakers to add into this system. Will the NAD receiver be enough to drive any speaker combo I decide on?I listened to the MagnePlaner MG12 and MG1.6 yesterday. I love the pure sound that emitted from these beautiful speakers, however, my budget really doesn't allow for $1000 to $1700 for a pair of mains. The showroom didn't have the MGMC1's or the MMG's which are more in my price range. I was curious to know if the MGMC1 for the mains in a side cabinet mount and the MMG's for the rears is a good combination? If so, would the Maggie center channel also be the route to go? What about Sub? The showroom guy took alot of time with me and was great at answering my questions. He also gave me a couple other options to help confuse my choice. Phase Technology is one, they have a V-12 Grand Home Theater System (price unknown), and Scottish company "Linn" (again, price unknown). Anyone familiar with either? I've heard that the Maggie's are very prone to positioning posture, and the speaker covers also look like the perfect scratching post for my beloved cat Danny. I would appreciate any insight that the experts may happen to give. Many thanks for the sleepless hours you've given me already. I hope to one day become a helpful enthusiast as well.
Warm Regards,
Jim

Hawk
Jim:

I happen to agree that there is nothing that can equal the sound of the magnepans. It is truly incredible and one of the very few speakers I have ever heard that can sound good even when being driven by a poor amp.

I know all of the speakers you have suggested and let me make a few suggestions. First, the 752 receiver will be sufficient to drive some Magepans. It has 80 wpc continuous into 5 channels and given the 4 ohm impedence of the Maggies, it can hit about 165 wpc into five channels, so that is more than enough power.

Second, you don't want to use the MGMC1s as your mains. I looked into that. They cut off at about 80-90 hz, so they are really meant solely as surrounds. Use the MMGs (available only directly from Magnepan) as your mains. They go down to about 45 hz, so they make super mains or stereo pair.

Now, it was posted two weeks ago that Magnepan is supposed to come out with a new center speaker and surrounds meant to go specifically with the MMGs. I have not confirmed this, but it sounds like it is true. The release date was supposed to be the end of this month. You will have to call Magnepan directly for an update on their release. If they are not available yet, a system with the MMGs as the mains, the CC3 center speaker and the MGMC1s as the surrounds is a super system (I took my MMGs into a local dealer and tried it out). I used an NAD receiver, too. However, I am very interested in these new speakers meant to go with the MMGs, which, as I said, another person said he learned about them when he called magnepan. Supposed to be priced along the lines of the MMGs, and voice matched to go with the MMGs (although given my experience, the CC3 and the MGMC1s are right there too).

Good luck!

Cyrus
As a fellow newbie I too was "BOSEd". However, i managed to get on this forum in time to return them. Thanks to Hawk and others, i ended with nad 752 coupled with MMGs and Hsu VF2 sub. What an upgrade!
In any case, my goal was for 5.1 setup and i called magnepan for some info on the mgmc1 as surrounds and the cc3 as my center. The lady told me that they have a new center and new surrounds that will be smaller than the CC3 and mgmc1. She could not give me the specs and all she could say was definately by end of the year and at earliest late october. Oh, btw these will be factory direct!

Im trying to be as patient as i can but i think it'll be worth it. I really love my mags. I live in a moderate sized apt in nyc with 3 dogs and the biggest challenge was dealing with the relative size and sensitive positioning issues of mags.

Hawk & Cyrus,

Thank you both very much for your valued input. I am almost chomping at the bit to call Magnepan and get my order in on the MMG's, which I suppose I should and get them broken in with some music. I can be patient with the new center and surrounds release...heck, it took me over 9 months of researching to purchase the big screen. lol I think I will give Magnepan a call and see if there is an update on the release.

Cyrus, if I may ask...what did you end up paying for your NAD 752? I haven't been able to get any of my "local" (nearest is 100 miles) dealers on the phone as of yet.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced sub that will adequately compliment the mags and pick up the lows that the mags can't handle?

Hawk
Jim:

Call Kiefs (get the number from their website at www.kiefs.com). They carry NAD and I think they are pricing the 752 at about $700 (about a $200 discount).

As for a sub, check out the Hsu Research VTF-2, which I think is priced at $489 (www.hsuresearch.com). Alternatively, I recommend a PSB Subsonic 6 which you can also get from Kief's at a good price.

jbliz
Hey Jim H., you might want to consider the NAD T762 if your big screen is high def. My NAD dealer told me the T752 component inputs are not HD component inputs. Plus, the T762 has 3 component ins, all HD component inputs.

I've been burned by this non-HD component input thing before. My tv has a set of HD component inputs and a set that only supports up to 480i. I was a little bitter when I figured that out. Anyway, assuming my dealer was feeding me correct info, you might want to pay extra for the 762 and get plenty of HD component ins.

Anyway, i've got another post going on this board and i'm trying to put together almost the exact system as you. I've decided on the NAD T762 for the receiver, but I haven't decided on speakers yet. I gave a listen to a JMlabs package and the PSB concert theatre package (Fronts - Image 4T's,Center - Image 8C, Surrounds - Image 1B's, Sub - Image SubSonic 6i). I really liked the PSBs with a NAD receiver (it was either the 752 or 742). Like you, I'm also seriously considering the Maggies. Maybe once they come out with the whole 5.1 package to match the MMG's, they'll allow a 60-day trial from a factory direct order. That would be something worth waiting for.

Hawk & jbliz,

Again, as always, the input is VERY much appreciated by this novice. I was just coming to post a deal I received with an NAD carrier here in Florida; the 752 for $800 (opened box). I'm glad I came back in here before making that a "final answer". I'm also intrigued now by the HD part. My big screen is HDTV capable at 1080i.

Hawk, thanks for the contacts...I'm on my way there as we speak. Any more input as far as the HD component inputs would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to buy before all bases are covered...I think the Cubs and Red Sox found that out already this week. :(
Regards,
Jim

jbliz
Again, about the HD inputs, i'm taking the word of my local NAD dealer. I went to NAD's website, but couldn't verify whether or not the 752 component inputs were HD or if my dealer was mistaken.

With my TV, I didn't find out that one of my component inputs was only 480i until I bought the tv and read the fine print of the owner's manual.

So since my tv only has one 1080i capable component input. I have to be really need a receiver with plenty of component HD inputs. One for the dvd player, one for the xbox, and one for HD cable (what limited stations I have available in HD anyway). Of course, the new DVI inputs throw a wrench into everything.

I asked a dealer about that later on this afternoon jbliz, and he told me that the receiver is just used as a through pass for the signal, but then again, I'm about as green as they come. I tried calling Magnepan today as well to see if they had any updates on the new center and surrounds to go with the MMG's, the switchboard was tied up. I'll try again next week. Hope all works out well for you, and thanks again for the data.

Regards,

Jim

Hawk
Guys:

I e-mailed the NAD tech support department some time ago and was told that the component video connections on both the 752 and 762 are identical. The only difference is that the 762 has three inputs compared to two inputs for the 752.

And I agree with jbliz that component video is only a short-term solution as I have seen what DVI can do and it will astound you. Unfortunately, no one is including DVI connections on receivers.

jbliz:

What HDTV set do you use? I ask because I recently saw a demonstration of some HDTV sets that actually have their own video processor built in and the saleperson showed how the set will upconvert 480i signals into a progressive scan picture. His point was that this is a very common situation and that today's HDTV sets have better video processors built in that do the DVD players. I suppose it makes sense (otherwise, how could an HDTV set do so many different formats--480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i). If this is true, then all you would need is a video bandwidth of 27 Mhz in the component video connections on the receiver (which is all the bandwidth necessary for 480i).

jbliz
Well it looks like a certain salesperson was trying to talk me into buying a more expensive NAD model.

Hawk,

I bought a Zenith C27V22. This is my future bedroom tv. It is a 27-incher was selling for only $700 and has a HD-monitor. It's worked out great for xbox games and dvds. I don't have a big screen tv yet, but that will be my next purchase after the receiver and speakers. The price on tv's have been dropping so fast that I'm trying to put off the purchase of my dream tv for as long as I can.

Well I'm glad to hear that new tv's will take advantage of their video processors. My tv, only the other hand, is a retard when it comes to different resolutions.

In addition to having a component input that only supports 480i, I also have a HD component input that only supports 480p and 1080i. The lack of 720p support was completely expected for a budget tv, but the HD component input also does not support 480i. Now maybe I'm missing something here, but if an input can support 480p and 1080i, then shouldn't it be able to handle 480i. As I said, my tv is a tard.

This creates a problem with an xbox, since all games are at least 480p, but the xbox dashboard (where you change settings, sign up on xbox live, etc) is only 480i. If I use the HD input, I can't see the dashboard and if I use the non-HD input, I can't play games in HD. So actually, I'd like to retract my previous statement regarding this tv working out great for my xbox, cuz it hasn't.

Sorry for the rant.

Who wants to by me one of those new Samsungs with the DLP technology? Any size will do, I'm not greedy.

Hawk
jbliz:

Well you certainly have an eye for quality. . . Those Samsung DLP sets are remarkable.

Sigh!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us