Best AVR for about $1K

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 75
I posted a thread the other day about my dying NAD https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/599910.html. I am still fiddling with it to see if it can be saved, but I wanted to hear some opinions on the best sounding receiver for about $1k. I have loved the warm sound of the NAD, and I want something that will give me a similar, but hopefully much better sounding version, sound through my B&W 600 series 5.1 set up (fronts 601s, rears older 601s, center LCR 600, looking for a ASW575). It looks like the NAD T755 does not support HD audio, and the T765 is closer to $2k. Would any of the larger brands compete with NAD for sound - such as Yamaha, Marantz, HK, Onkyo, etc.? I look forward to hearing what people think.

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 76
Maybe to stir the pot a little, I will add the question of whether I will see a big difference in sound quality if I go to the Onkyo NR-TX807 from the NAD T762. There are some good deals out there on the 807, and it has lots of great features. Also, I have seen people saying that Onkyos also have a warm sound (unlike Denon). Thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 580
Go start listening? Will anybody loan you a demo for say....a couple days?
Any room in budget for separates?
good amp will stay with you thru 3 or 4 pre/pro upgrades?
Some fans and NON-fans of Emotiva out there. But no way to pre-listen. Outlaw? Good pre/pro and amps. Also no way to audition, but they may have some kind of 30 day policy?

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 78
Yeah, I was thinking about the separates idea since it seems you can get good deals on Rotel or B&K amps that have multiple channels. I know nothing about pre/pro components. Plus, it does not seem that they usually have the latest features, such as HDMI 1.3 audio input (I don't care about the video - I can go straight from my cable box to TV with that). Outlaw is actually selling what it now calls a virtual receiver and is a separates set up.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3204
I believe Outlaw has a 30 day in home trial, as does Emotiva. The only thing you're out is return shipping if you don't like the item.

For 1k I'd look at some of the Cambridge Audio AVRs. I have the 540R and it is a solidly-built, great sounding unit, without out all the bells and whistles crap on your typical Big-Box fodder.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3205
Spearit sound has CA for good prices pretty much continually. I've bought from them and recommend them.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13837
Up the ante a tad and maybe find an Arcam avr350 on the pre-loved market.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13838
Are you going to clean the Nad, SR?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13839
If you are handy, just a diy service will be fine.
If you do not know how to use a meter, then pass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us