Used B&K 507 or new NAD T755?

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 73
I have had a NAD T762 for about five years. I bought it factory refurbished. I have loved the sound, but it is starting to get finicky. Lately, it seems to be overheating and going into safe mode when it needs to work hard (such as serious music or sound effects on TV). It is driving a B&W 600 speaker set-up that I use for both HT and music.

As a result of the problems I am having with my NAD, I am considering getting a new HT receiver. There is a guy locally who is selling a 6-year old B&K 507 for about the same price as the new NAD T755. The B&K has more power (150wx7) than the NAD, but it is used. The NAD has some new features, but not as many as most new HT receivers these days. Do people here consider the durability and sound of the B&K better enough than the NAD option to justify buying used? I would love to hear some opinions before I take the plunge either way. The guy selling the B&K told me that it would be like choosing between a 6 year old Mercedes (B&K) and a new Hyundai (NAD). Is that a fair comparison?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2793
B&K is good stuff, and in most regards one of the best sounding AVR's I have ever heard. I would say on par with the Arcam AVR's. But B&K, weather the sound is for you or not... is not THAT much better than NAD. It just isn't. The new NAD offerings like the T755 are much nicer sounding that their last offerings. I have two NAD AVR's in my theater and would trade them both up for a new one any day. Plus the new NAD's now come with the HDMI switching and HD audio codecs. The 6 year old B&K doesnt. B&K make better stuff, but I would not buy an AVR that is that old just based on the fact that its already behind on technology and you don't have a warranty. AVR's are finicky...period...my buddies one year old Onkyo just blew up on him, second one. I have another buddy who had a Pioneer Elite and it blew up on him in a year, then he bought an Onkyo and it died, then he bought a NAD which he used for 6 months before upgrading to the new Arcam. How is that for failures.lol Buy the NAD. Just my opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2794
Ok, so apparently the T755 does not have the HD audio codecs. Hmmm save up for a T765? Or look new elsewhere like Arcam. All I am saying is that I would buy something new.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13797
SR, has your NAD been cleaned and serviced?
A little dirt and dust can do a lot of harm, and 6 years is a looong time.

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 74
Nuck,

Where would you take a NAD receiver to be cleaned and serviced? Go to a NAD repair center? My receiver keeps going off everytime it starts to work hard. Last night, it shut down from a gun shot on Law and Order. Before it goes off, I can also hear the fan going on pretty loudly. You think that may just be due to dust and dirt?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13798
SR, sure. dust fills in airspace and overheats parts quickly.
If that is the only problem, and tech can clean it and tighten stuff up.

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 79
Good news. I think it was speaker wires touching. Now, everything seems to be working. I taped all the open wires to the Banana clips to make sure nothing is out to touch something nearby.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us