Amp goes into protect mode at high volumes...help

Username: Howiev2008

Post Number: 1
Hi, I recently purchased a 3000 watt home stereo receiver (specs found here: http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PD3000A ) to which I connected the following speakers ( http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PPHP1290 ) at 400watts RMS @ 8ohms... the stereo says it puts out 300watts @8ohms, which seems like it should be alright to me, but when I turn up the volume the music skips. Suggestions on how I can fix this or what's wrong? Thanks, Jeremy

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13667
JV, there are so many possibilities.
Either you wired ir right, but the cables are marked wrongedly.
Or otherwise, the thing is worth what you paid.

Have you looked in a htib thread?

Post Number: 2
I've been looking all over trying to fix this, but no luck... I've tried switching polarities in the wires, and have had the system wired up several different ways (speakers on different/same channel, etc.) only other thing i could think of is the stereo says its a pre-amp which I'm not really sure is...

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3126
3000 watts? With that kind of power I can't see it shutting down for anything ;-)

Did you buy the receiver new or used?

Post Number: 3
yea thats what I thought haha I bought it "refurbished", I originally thought it was broke (for a different reason), at that time it was under warranty (it no longer is), it was sent to a tech place that said there was nothing wrong with it, I got it back and got it to work minus the music shutting down at high volumes, it's like the music is skipping, until you turn the volume down again, not even that high of volumes either, the pair of computer speakers I own are louder...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13674
JV, sometimes you only get what you pay for.
This may be the maximum capability of the system.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3127
That's what I was thinking Nuck, that or it's malfunctioning.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14053

"That's what I was thinking Nuck, that or it's malfunctioning."

3000 watts for $449!

The wattage is BS and I think so is the rest.

If there's any sort of warranty, send it back.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3128
Not to be disrespectful or rude to you in any way Jeremy, but Pyle is not exactly known for quality audio or home theater products.

Don't they mainly do car audio?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13675
I won't comment on your purchase decision, JV, but the product itself is questionable.
Return it, if you can, and see wht we can all recommend to get good sound on a budget.
It can be easily done.

Malloy in 3...2...1...

Post Number: 4
Yea seemed liked a good deal at the time, but obviously i regret it now... I'm mainly looking for something to play music through... do you think I should scrap the speakers too or use them with a different receiver or something? The speakers seem to work fine and sound decent also... although I haven't heard them at a loud volume

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13685
Nor would you likely want to man.

600$ can buy you a nice receiver and speakers. Add some for source and cables, stands.
800 can do a lot, less if you are ok with pre-loved.

Hit the pawn shop etc. and have a look.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14062

Forget the pawn shop and go to a decent dealer where you get a warranty and return privileges.

How loud is loud, JV? I'm kinda thinking anyone who buys 3k watts is intent on disturbing the neighbors.

Bronze Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 24
How loud is loud, JV? I'm kinda thinking anyone who buys 3k watts is intent on disturbing the neighbors.
long time no post .. 5 weeks in China will do that to you.
If those neighbors were some of the regular posters here .. they'd already be disturbed ...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3131
Good thing the Pyle has an auto shutoff before the neighbours get to hear it.

What were you doing in China Bryan?

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 25
Our company (based in Montreal / Trois Rivieres) is, like too many others, outsourcing to the lowest bidder. In this instance, it was equipment I formerly manufactured, before we were closed down in 2004. I was there insuring procedures / processes were followed and quality was not sacrificed.
A most interesting experience, I look forward to the next opportunity

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3133
Cool. Are they gonna keep following the processes now that you're not there?

Bronze Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 26
Actually, the structures .. they fit on the wet end of a paper machine, are about 3.5M long. I was there to completion, and saw pictures today of them in the shipping container.
I'll be heading to TR in a few weeks to review the experience with Engineering and Outsourcing. There'll be no dining outside by that time downtown.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us