Athena speakers with Marantz SR5300?

MickG
Hi everyone,
I've read numerous threads which refer to NAD and Athena match ups, would the Marantz SR5300 also be a good match for Athena speakers (say AS-F1, AS-B1 & AS-C1) or should I be looking at other speakers for a Marantz receiver???

Tim
Don't know about the Athenas, but I was recommended to look at Mission and Mordaunt Short.

Hawk
MickG:

Yes. I would recommend the Athenas with your Marantz. I also agree with Tim that Mission and Mordaunt Shorts are also a good combo.

MickG
Hawk and Tim,

Can you help me out by suggesting which speakers from each company (both have large ranges)might be worth looking at for a Marantz SR5300. I'll primarily be using the receiver for HT (~80%), in a room size of about 5m x 5m, and have a budget of around $1800 for the speaker system.

johnny the GUN
the athenas are the BEST for the money people, the same manufacturer that help make energy and Mirage speakers make those Athenas. I have compared them to the monitor audio, klipsche(the high end stuff ) and they dont sound better but they Hold their own!

The denon avr 5803 is the benchmark reference reciever FYI ALSO right now the denon 2800 can be had for 299. @ goodguys right now!

Anonymous
Dude, the Denon 2800 is 4 models ago. The 04 series is coming out now.

MickG
Thanks Johnny, Hawk and Tim are you still around???

Tim
Hi Mick.

I'd take a look at the Mission Cinema M70 or M3 series set if you want a sub, or the M71s if you don't. The M5 series is also worth a look I think.

For Mordaunt Short, I have just purchased the Premiere 5.1 system for my SR4300, but I haven't hooked it up yet so I can't comment on its performance.

All the above options will only take up half your budget, but should be powerful enough to fill the space. Bear in mind that I'm not a mad audiophile - I just wanted small satellites and a sub, good clear sound, and above all value for money. If you want more than that, or just want to splash the cash, I hand you over to Hawk, John Allen and the other more knowledgable guys.

Hawk
Mick:

Sorry--got caught up in the California Recall election. I really like the Marantz receiver--it has a very smooth sound that matches up well with a lot of different speakers. In short, it doesn't have any idiosyncratic tendencies that have to be avoided like some other brands we know. I can make several suggestions:

If you want Athena, I like the Athena AS-F2s (floorstanders) for your front mains--they are $550/pair and I think they are a significant improvement over the F1s. Add an AS-C1 for the Center and a pair of AS-B1s for the rear for a system. I am not high on Athena subs, however.

Alternatively, I also like the PSB Image line with the Marantz. Check out some PSB Image 4Ts of 5Ts for your mains (look them over at elegantaudiovideo.com) and an Image 8C or 9C for your center. You can go with the Image 1Bs for your rears or the 10S (if you want dipoles) for the surrounds. Add a fine PSB sub and you have a nice system (the PSB sub would be a good value to work with almost any speaker system).

Finally, I would also recommend Mission speakers with the Marantz. As I write this, I am listening to James Taylor through a pair of Mission M71s. My Missions have really tamed my Denon receiver's tendency to get grainy sounding, so I am mighty impressed with them. I would suggest any of the Mission "Cinema" packages, which range from all mini-monitors (the Cinema M70 System) to a package with floorstanding mains and bipole surrounds (the Cinema M5 System).

Good hunting!

Hawk
Mick:

After posting my last message, I checked the reviews board on this website and found a product review of the Mission Cinema M5 system. Check it out:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2730

JOHNNY ThE GUN
To: anonymous The 2800 Mk2 is a B I T C HIN deal for 299.00, its got the silicon chip which is better than the dcdi, also has FASTER processing and reverse 3:2 pull down for more accurate aspect ratio. I never said it was new but up until recently it retailed for 800 bucks. It is a great deal. THe ONLY subtle differences besides price and the 04's is that the new model will burrbrown DAC's 192khz for audio sound, and SACD and DVD audio.......

I have a pair of Athena AS-f2 dual 8' bass drivers and the ever awesome tweets and DAMN they sound AWESOMNE!!! I had them side by side the montitor audio's that go for 3,000 a pair. And the monitors only had a couple of better things
:1.)sensitity was LOWER than Athenas 80something to 90 something (sorry forgot exact specs)
The mids are better than Athenas (probably because the Athenas did not have a midrange driver!)
2.) The cabinet design of the montitors and wiring are far SUPERIOR to the Athenas. ( I took out the crossover networks of each speaker and compared the two. I bet some monster wiring internally would fix that problem!)

Anyway british/european speaker maufacturers tend to be masters of the bass and midrange but NOT the highs, brands like monitor audio, Mcintosh (when they were good!) all have the flat linear response you need for top of the line systems BUT I prefer a morebrighter tonality, something like an Athena speaker brings to the table. I swear I am 100% audiophile. I create tracks of all genres and own the THX mackie monitors, just to let you guys know I know what sounds great and what does not.
When I first heard the Athenas quality i was ASTONISHED!!!! I mean I never heard the life like strum of an acoustic guitar before until I heard them!!!! The vocals, strings, bass, drumkits and piano all sound like its right there in front of you!! check them out I cranked my YAMAHA RX-Z9 receiver to about -20DBs just to hear the clipping point and did NOT hear any distortion. LOTR THE TWO TOWERS was mastered for HOME THEATRE, take advantage!!!!!!!!!!

MickG
Tim and Hawk,

Thanks for your valuable advice, I'm off to my local dealers to do some listening.

Hawk,

What would you prefer to use with Energy C5 speakers:

Integra dtr-5.4 or Marantz sr5300?

I've read several post of yours to know you really like Marantz but what about the Integra?

Thanks,

Hawk
TVU:

The Integra is just an Onkyo with "hand selected parts" whatevetr that mesns. The sound is supposed to be a bit better, but you can never know as no one sells both Onkyo and Integra so that you can listen to hear any differences in the sound.

I am going to a local dealer this week that sells both the Integra 5.4 and the Marantz 5300. I will compare them and let you know what I think.

Hawk,

Please let me know what you think between the two. I've listened to both of them running to Energy C5 & C7 speakers at the store but couldn't really decide which was better. They definitely sounded a little different from the other. IMO the Marantz was a bit warmer.

I have Energy C5 as my fronts, Energy Center Channel and B&W DM303 rears. I also have a pair of Bose 10.2 just sitting around. My current receiver is an Onkyo 575 rated @ 70x5 which I've had for 4yrs.

Current prices I'm looking at are:

Marantz sr5300 $449
Onkyo/Integra dtr-5.4 $549

I'm leaning more towards Marantz because of the excellent closeout price(sr5400 replacing it) and because I don't think the Integra is worth $100 more.

Thanks again,

TVU
Oh I forgot to mention that I will be using the system for 80% dvd-audio and CD-audio vs 20% DVD-movies.

Does the DAC 192/24bit come into play here? DVD-A and SACD use the multi-input which are analog.

Thanks,

Hey guys. I am on the same boat as you are. I went to 2 different stores. The other one carries Yamaha RX-V740. The other store carries Integra DTR 5.4 and Marantz 5400. I have tried the Yamaha and Integra. Both used similar Paradigm speakers. From what my ears heard, looks like the 740 sounded better. Now, what can you say about Marantz SR5400? I will be using it for watching movies 75% and 25% music. Please englighten me on what product I should get and why. Thank you very much in advance.

mrev
I think your will find the marantz doesnt sound as bright as the yamaha. I have owned the sr5300 for six months and it is matched with mission m73 front and m70 rear. I couldnt be happier with the combo I have
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us