NAD vs. ARCAM - Side By Side

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 45
Tomorrow I will take my NAD T763 and my universal disc player to my local Arcam dealer to do a side by side test. I want my ears to be the final judge before I replace another reciever. I will report back on the results of this comparison.

I have also emailed NAD Electronics and described the sound quality problem to them. It will be interesting to see their response.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 290
"...and described the sound quality problem..."

What kind of problems are you having?

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 46
landroval,

I discovered that the DAC processing in the NAD yeilds very compressed and undetailed sound when compared to the sound resulting from DAC processing in my DVD/CD/SACD/DVDA player. When listening to 2 channel CDs the difference is huge. The signal that I input via the analog inputs yeilds much better sound than the signal input via the digital input and processed through the receiver. This is clearly unacceptable, especially for the caliber of receiver that the T763 is supposed to be.

See my prior thread regarding this matter:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/51504.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Ok, I see. This is not a problem you hear every day. Maybe others dont notice it or your unit is not in perfect shape. Waiting for your Arcam, NAD comparison.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 47
This is a problem that I hear every time that I play a CD or a DVD. Unfortunately, it took a while to discover the problem.

Since I discovered the problem, I use only the analog inputs for CDs and DVDs.

I have no reason to believe that my unit is in perfect shape.

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 71
I eagerly await your findings as well. I am currently considering Rotel, NAD and Arcam for receiver choices.

Good luck.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 48
Markus,

My side by side test has been rescheduled to tomorrow (Friday). I will post the results shortly after the exercise.

Thanks,

Michael

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 51
Today I conducted a side by side comparison of the NAD T763 and the Arcam AVR300.
The Arcam won hands down.

Conclusion:

I will be picking up my new ARCAM this afternoon.

My NAD (purchased on April 23 of this year) is now for sale.

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 74
Nice purchase Michael!! Enjoy.

By the way, what was the price difference between the NAD and the Arcam?

Thanks,

Markus

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 62
Michael, can you give more details? On the net saw that the Arcam AVR300 MSRP is $1999 so it is $600 more than the MSRP of the NAD T763. Pricewise the Arcam is more comparable to the NAD T773 which is $1799 MSRP.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
Micheal, did you notice a great overall difference or just when using the digital connection?

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 52
Details:

The Arcam was smoother, more musical, more detailed, and more open. The differences were apparent within seconds. We did A/B tests using both the digital and analog inputs. The differences were very apparent regardless of which inputs we used.

The Arcam is $600 more than the NAD.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 364
For $600 more, one would expect it to be better. Like Jonathan said earlier, the Arcam is more comparable to the NAD T773. Did you compare those two units? It isn't really logical to expect the much cheaper NAD to sound the same. The extra $600 has to be spent on something.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 53
I am sure that the NADT773 is more comparable to the Arcam. I agree that the playing field that I used in my test was not level. You are absolutely right that an additional $600 should be expected to bring additional performance.

Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 9
Hello, folks. Don't mind my joining in, and I'm not sure if you've already seen this first review by "What Hi-Fi" magazine:

http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/WHFAVR300.pdf
http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/whfavr300.pdf

For more articles on Arcam, see this:
http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam

With all the documented issues and problems with the NAD T7* series, the new Arcam AVR300 seems to be a more appealing alternative albeit prohibitively more expensive than NAD.

Michael, does the Arcam have a fan like the NAD?

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 54
Yes, it has a fan.

Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 10
Actually you can get a NAD773 for $1400 from authorized dealers but I haven't found the Arcam for any less than retail list price of $1999. The dealer in the San Jose area wouldn't budge on pricing and was emphatic that the Arcam was superior. I made the point that it should be for the extra $500 I would have to spend. Unfortunately that puts the Arcam out of my price range and the NAD773 will be my choice driving 4 ohm speakers.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 55
There is no question that the Arcam is more expensive. There is also no question that the NAD T773 is a very capable receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 11
What about Arcam DVD and CD players? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with these premium models?
http://www.digitalhomemag.com/reviews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=19198&s ubsectionid=1306&subsubsectionid=955

http://www.arcam.co.uk/diva/cinema/dv89.html

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 56
Their DVD players are supposed to be outstanding.

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
Especially the DV79 HDMI player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us